Kelly, help me please -Username's Documents Folder gone mi..

I’ve moved “My documents� folder to be on drive D:\ with expectation that
“Slavcho Hristov’s Documents� folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer� window will
continue to persist with target folder location in D:\. But after restarting
my computer, “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents� folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer�
window under" Files Stored on This Computer" is missing. At the same time
there is shortcut “My Documents� in Start Menu with target folder location in
D:\.

Can you advise me how to create again this “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents�
folder /shortcut in/ “My Computer� window, while content of the folder
continue to stay in drive D:|?

I looking forward to hear from you,

Sincerely,
Slavcho

Why would you need to restart your computer to have it take affect? To move My Docs you just move the folder. So move it back (to fix your efforts) then move it to where you want it. Use Edit menu - Cut (not copy) and Paste (or drag it while forcing a move not a copy).

And why are you asking this question again?
http://www.uscricket.com
"Slavcho" <Slavcho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7983A6AF-4292-487D-B410-D83F2C526F17@microsoft.com...
> I’ve moved “My documents” folder to be on drive D:\ with expectation that
> “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents” folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer” window will
> continue to persist with target folder location in D:\. But after restarting
> my computer, “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents” folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer”
> window under" Files Stored on This Computer" is missing. At the same time
> there is shortcut “My Documents” in Start Menu with target folder location in
> D:\.
>
> Can you advise me how to create again this “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents”
> folder /shortcut in/ “My Computer” window, while content of the folder
> continue to stay in drive D:|?
>
> I looking forward to hear from you,
>
> Sincerely,
> Slavcho

Hi David,
Your advice does'nt works. It is not possible to create or move folders to
"My Computer" window this way!
About your question: I've posted this issue vor second time because nobody
adviced me last time.

"David Candy" напиÑ?а:

> Why would you need to restart your computer to have it take affect? To move My Docs you just move the folder. So move it back (to fix your efforts) then move it to where you want it. Use Edit menu - Cut (not copy) and Paste (or drag it while forcing a move not a copy).
>
> And why are you asking this question again?
> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Slavcho" <Slavcho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7983A6AF-4292-487D-B410-D83F2C526F17@microsoft.com...
> > I’ve moved “My documents� folder to be on drive D:\ with expectation that
> > “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents� folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer� window will
> > continue to persist with target folder location in D:\. But after restarting
> > my computer, “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents� folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer�
> > window under" Files Stored on This Computer" is missing. At the same time
> > there is shortcut “My Documents� in Start Menu with target folder location in
> > D:\.
> >
> > Can you advise me how to create again this “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents�
> > folder /shortcut in/ “My Computer� window, while content of the folder
> > continue to stay in drive D:|?
> >
> > I looking forward to hear from you,
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Slavcho

As you don't say how you did it but I suspect you did it wrong. You move the folder back to where it was to undo your meddling. You then move the folder the correct way to where you want it.

Then as this will remove an entry go to (rather than it being wrong)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
Username=path to my docs
http://www.uscricket.com
"Slavcho" <Slavcho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C4B7FF-2947-419A-9A6E-BDC9B48D60BF@microsoft.com...
> Hi David,
> Your advice does'nt works. It is not possible to create or move folders to
> "My Computer" window this way!
> About your question: I've posted this issue vor second time because nobody
> adviced me last time.
>

> "David Candy" написа:
>
>> Why would you need to restart your computer to have it take affect? To move My Docs you just move the folder. So move it back (to fix your efforts) then move it to where you want it. Use Edit menu - Cut (not copy) and Paste (or drag it while forcing a move not a copy).
>>
>> And why are you asking this question again?
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "Slavcho" <Slavcho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7983A6AF-4292-487D-B410-D83F2C526F17@microsoft.com...
>> > I’ve moved “My documents” folder to be on drive D:\ with expectation that
>> > “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents” folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer” window will
>> > continue to persist with target folder location in D:\. But after restarting
>> > my computer, “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents” folder /shortcut/ in “My Computer”
>> > window under" Files Stored on This Computer" is missing. At the same time
>> > there is shortcut “My Documents” in Start Menu with target folder location in
>> > D:\.
>> >
>> > Can you advise me how to create again this “Slavcho Hristov’s Documents”
>> > folder /shortcut in/ “My Computer” window, while content of the folder
>> > continue to stay in drive D:|?
>> >
>> > I looking forward to hear from you,
>> >
>> > Sincerely,
>> > Slavcho

kelly

Thanks, David. :eek:)

Explained further:

To get an account's My Documents folder to appear in Windows Explorer (Files
stored on this computer), add/edit a key in the DocFolderPaths branch like
so:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths]
"user"="C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents"

In the right pane, right click and choose New/String Value. Give it the
name of the user. Double click the name once added and type in:
C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\My Documents

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
As you don't say how you did it but I suspect you did it wrong. You move the
folder back to where it was to undo your meddling. You then move the folder
the correct way to where you want it.

Then as this will remove an entry go to (rather than it being wrong)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
Username=path to my docs
http://www.uscricket.com
"Slavcho" <Slavcho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi David,
> Your advice does'nt works. It is not possible to create or move folders to
> "My Computer" window this way!
> About your question: I've posted this issue vor second time because
> nobody
> adviced me last time.
>

> "David Candy" ??????:
>
>> Why would you need to restart your computer to have it take affect? To
>> move My Docs you just move the folder. So move it back (to fix your
>> efforts) then move it to where you want it. Use Edit menu - Cut (not
>> copy) and Paste (or drag it while forcing a move not a copy).
>>
>> And why are you asking this question again?
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "Slavcho" <Slavcho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've moved "My documents" folder to be on drive D:\ with expectation
>> > that
>> > "Slavcho Hristov's Documents" folder /shortcut/ in "My Computer" window
>> > will
>> > continue to persist with target folder location in D:\. But after
>> > restarting
>> > my computer, "Slavcho Hristov's Documents" folder /shortcut/ in "My
>> > Computer"
>> > window under" Files Stored on This Computer" is missing. At the same
>> > time
>> > there is shortcut "My Documents" in Start Menu with target folder
>> > location in
>> > D:\.
>> >
>> > Can you advise me how to create again this "Slavcho Hristov's
>> > Documents"
>> > folder /shortcut in/ "My Computer" window, while content of the folder
>> > continue to stay in drive D:|?
>> >
>> > I looking forward to hear from you,
>> >
>> > Sincerely,
>> > Slavcho

Hi Kelly, David,
Following yours advices "Slavcho Hristov's Documents" folder came back under
"Files Stored on this Computer". Thank you very much! But location is in
C:\Documents and settings\ Slavcho Hristov. My wish is the content of this
foldr to be in D:\ , because I haven't space enought on "C"drive. Could you
help me with this?

Sincerely,
Slavcho