I5 again or FX-8120

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 6:07:44 PM

few months ago I put together this configuration:

i5 2500k
asus p8p67
8 gb skill
xfx hd5670

now I need to get another, I'm between buying the same configuration to have some redundancy (interchange components) or an AMD FX 8 core. 20% cheaper but 16% faster according cpu benchmarks.

More about : 8120

April 5, 2012 6:10:15 PM

I'm leaning more towards AMD FX those 8 cores sound appealing. but there is not a whole lot of benchmarks as for the i5.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2012 6:24:41 PM

and that is comparing the i5 2500k to the fx 8150. i5 2500k is only $220 vs the $250 for the 8150. But of course you could get the cheaper fx 8120 for only $190 and still is 8 core.
also i5 has 4 strong cores while the 8150/8120 has 8 weaker ones. Though if you're into OC you can get the 8150 to about 5Ghz!
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:27:38 PM

Alot of reviews are biased and just enough info on there test platform to make you assume you have the answer...

The 8120 will stable OC with AMD overdrive to 4.2 ghz.

This website is unbiased most if you carefully read reviews the reviewers almost always lean to intel for some 5 nano second difference in one or two categories...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 8:38:51 PM

lordadamar said:
Alot of reviews are biased and just enough info on there test platform to make you assume you have the answer...

The 8120 will stable OC with AMD overdrive to 4.2 ghz.

This website is unbiased most if you carefully read reviews the reviewers almost always lean to intel for some 5 nano second difference in one or two categories...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

You basing all your knowledge of cpu's on cpu mark?, jesus christ. In real world gaming the i5-2500k is significantly better than bulldozer, hell even the last generation amd chips are better.

synthetic benchmarks don't mean squat.
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:39:04 PM

What is going to be your main use for this PC?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 8:41:57 PM

Considering the X6 1100T, FX 8150 and FX 8120 are priced to compete with the Intel i5 offerings and they do that extremely well, they cut the balance between gamer and professional setups, giving you a lot of features for a reasonable price.

What is know for certain is that the i5 2500(k)/2400 per core will beat all the AMD high end chips, but in multithreaded applications and high thread counts all the AMD high end chips by and large beat the i5's, it is a matter of what do you need the system for. Personally there is nothing wrong with the experience offered by the FX range chips, the improved memory controller makes it more viable over the old Thuban while it offers high enough frame rates to not be noticeable in single thread crunch.
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:56:50 PM

My daily use is Autocad architecture use some 3d here. there are season where I use a lot 3d MAX. but last year I used it only twice.

My wife is using adobe lightroom and corel for image editing and Sony vegas for video editing.

So I have some hi demands on a budget. I got the i5 last year becaouse i finally bough the idea of stability on intel systems, but its been nothing different from my old AMD systems,

I know image editing doesn't use all the cores, 3d MAX uses every single one in its full potential, Sony Vegas updates are using more cores but don't know if all of them.

I'n paper the bulldozer tech look better, I was looking in to the i7 but the price on the mobos just put it far away from my budget.

I've seen there is a brand preference on intel in a lot of webs, and its hard to believe that an 8 core CPU cant beat an 4 cores CPU on a multicore capable software
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 9:06:45 PM

I have a 2500K rig and a Thuban and in high thread counts the Thuban is faster, as to how many threads you really need in your apps is debatable but the FX 8120 is a very feasible option in this regard.

Give it serious consideration, AMD chips are not as bad as the myopic reviews it receives. I also in no way say it is faultless, it is just balanced with the option of multitasking function.
m
l
April 5, 2012 9:45:51 PM

Quote:
You basing all your knowledge of cpu's on cpu mark?, jesus christ. In real world gaming the i5-2500k is significantly better than bulldozer, hell even the last generation amd chips are better.

synthetic benchmarks don't mean squat.

I am not, it was the easiest UN-BIASED site I could think of... And thank you for proving my point, that those one or two categories mean something to an intel fanboy...

ignorance is bless thank goodness for you aye
m
l
June 6, 2012 7:50:33 AM

A friend of mine has used 3ds max, Maya, photoshop & other apps. in 1090t @stock & a i7 2600 as well. According to him, the performance difference isn't as large as the price.
Those multicore software products would make good use of the 6/8 cores of the thuban/bulldozer.
But if you have no budget limits, then the i7 2600k should be your choice.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2012 8:02:07 AM

Under overclocking conditions the 8120 priced at $170 from Newegg can be just as good as the 2500K under overclocking conditions. That being said, stock vs stock, yes the FX CPUs perform dismally:

Benches to back up my claim:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1210060/fx8120-vs-2500k-benc...

Having said that, there are a couple other things to keep in mind:

1. It seems like you're largely considering a system for professional use, overclocking a professional system as it if it were a toy is not very professional, although it is a quick and dirty solution.

2. FX Bulldozers get very power hungry under overclocking conditions.

3. The FX-8150 is the SAME CPU as the FX-8120 only its clocked higher, meaning, you overclock the 8120 you have yourself an 8150 for a cheaper price.
I'm not going to get into an argument with people, as it seems the groundwork has already taken root in this thread for a flame war.
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:13:23 AM

Just noticed this thread is from quite some time ago. Wonder why it was resurrected?
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:14:23 AM

nekulturny said:
Just noticed this thread is from quite some time ago. Wonder why it was resurrected?

my bad :D 
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:16:05 AM

On the plus side, looks like Annoymous got forum banned, guy needed a hug or something for sure the way he acted.
m
l
!