ATI Radeon 6990M Under Performing...

coballes19

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I just brought a Metabox NP180Hx with the following configuration:

Intel i7 2860-QM 2.50MHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
ATI Radeon HD 6990M Crossfire 2GB(4GB total)
12GB Ram 1333Mhz

Okay, so my frame rates in games are not right. In resident evil 5, I only get like 60+ fps with crossfire, while I should be having like 120-130fps based on mainstream benchmark with their gears even lower config than mine. Most of my games also have lower framerate than what 6990M Xfire should perform, like Crysis, which I get like 17 fps on Ultra 1920x1080(which a 6990M Xfire should be getting like 40+fps), can't play my Red Alert 3 on ultra without noticing the slow framerate, and it performs as if It's just a single 6990M on Metro 2033.

I've been checking a lot on my laptop lately, I do know it is working. I do know that the 2 cards are working with each other. Still everything is strange. When I turn of the crossfire, it performs even less, which might mean each card is under performing me.

Any help? Please...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
hey, nice laptop :) i hope you're aware that the high-end notebook gpu's are quite good but albeit nowhere near the desktop variants. i think you understand that but i wasn’t sure whether you meant mainstream pc or vs laptop class. Still your laptop configuration 'should' be crunching out some decent performance numbers with any game. If it’s not something heat related due to something not properly secured then it might be drivers/software.

Before i suggest driver or heat issues try configuring window's power saving options. Perhaps performance may improve if set to maximum performance. How are you running the laptop? Battery only off the mains power will be a significant decrease in performance.

If driver:

Try different driver revisions to see if it is driver related or wait for a newer release. I know for a fact owning an amd card and it happens to nvidia as well from my experience that at times newer released drivers may improve in latest games but has an impact on older games. Its difficult to know which drivers do 'everything' well, its all trial and error :\ especially when it comes to limited notebook drivers.

If Heat:

Download and use a gpu related diagnostics tool to keep tabs on the heat, and cpu as well. Make sure the vents are clear of any dust/gunk. The sensors will throttle if the components are getting very close/over their thermal limit. I think there are cooling platforms you can rest your laptop in but not sure how efficient they are.

Lastly, bloat ware, or another resource hogging application/virus. I'm pretty confident Metabox wouldn’t bloat their laptops with crap but oh well ill suggest it anyway, might lead to other solution ideas. What kind of antivirus you got? Be sure the one you're using is not of total garbage and slowing your comp down.

coballes19

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I waS talking indeed about the laptop. Anyway, i'll give one benchmark for RE5:

Intel Core i7 2760QM 2.4GHz
Radeon HD 6990M (715MHz), 2048MB (900MHz) , Clevo 8.850.0.0
16384MB RAM

Resident evil 5: 80+fps Settings: Ultra(1980x1020)

The laptop above manage to give 80+fps with only 1 6990M.

When I disabled my Crossfire, which means only using one 6990M, I get only like 30fps average. Something's clearly wrong.

BTW, I have the latest drivers, normal Temp and nothing memory hogging installed. The laptop I have was actually newly bought, so I only have games in it and Avira Free, which is not the issue.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ok sure thanks for the clarification.

If the benchmarking results you seen are using the same video driver as you then i do hope its nothing technical inside that’s faulting :\ did you try turning off windows power saving managements? i edited my message to include that but not sure if you saw it.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
You have essentially a 6870X2 in terms of GPU power.

Crysis is an extreme ass-kicker, even today. Try turning AA off or lowering the resolution to 720p.

Your performance in RE5 is nothing to complain about.

You are really doing about right; laptops aren't really ideal for gaming.

As for your performance in Crysis, is does seem a tad low. But like I said, it is a big time ass kicker.

coballes19

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Yes, Crysis is an ass-kicker. However, 6990M should be a more massive ass-kicker.

Laptops are actually good for gaming, if configured properly. I was only following the configurations benchmark test makers are having.

About Crysis, it's still silly that others get smooth gameplay under ultra high settings while I'm having nothing. I want to be on the same line and play games at their maximum look, at their maximum performance, that's why I bought the 6990M crossfire. But right now, it's not really happening. That's why I'm complaining about even RE5. It's so weird that just one 6990M should give me 60fps and yet mine only gives me like 30 fps... :cry:

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I thought you said you got 60+ in RE5...

Yes, I would think maxed out you should be getting 30+ in Crysis...

With AA off (otherwise maxed out) you should be getting 60+ in Crysis.

I really don't know what to tell you. Maybe someone will come along who knows...

For now, about all I could say would be to make sure your drivers are current. There are also performance mods you could try.