Sign in with
Your question

Help

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 7:16:16 PM

im running into a problemb i havent seen before, ive built computers before in my computer networking class but again i havent seen this before. i have all the cableing connected correctly and when i start the computer it pops up the screen and it says f1 for bios and other assorted things. i need to get into bios so i can set the boot order so i can load the operating system from the optical drive, but it wont let me get into the bios. my optical drive is an ide format but my mobo only has sata ports, so i ordered the ide to sata adapter. i thought maby the drive needed to be jumpered to master but maby im wrong? i cant think of anything else i might be doing wrong any help would be apreciated.

system:
- gigabyte m68mt-s2 motherboard
- 600w psu, not sure of the brand
- 4gb ram, bran pareema i think
- ide optical drive, not sure of brand
- amd am3+ fx 4100 processor
- 500 gb seagate barracuda HDD

More about : question

April 5, 2012 7:25:28 PM

What is keeping you from accessing the BIOS?
m
l
April 5, 2012 7:27:22 PM

im not sure thats the problemb
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2012 7:37:01 PM

it also says f9 for exspress recovery,f12 for boot menu, and end for qflash. it will let me go into the boot menu but then when i click on cddrive it just goes blank and then to a screen that says blanco at the top, and then shows tested hardware, none of which i have. for example it says it tested a intelcpu but i have a amd cpu. but on the screen with the f1 and stuff it recognises my correct hardware.
m
l
April 5, 2012 7:37:31 PM

Unhook the IDE drive and adapter, does it boot then? What happens when you hit F1 to try to get to the BIOS?
m
l
April 5, 2012 7:47:00 PM

i unhooked it and in the first screen when i try to get into the bios it does the same thing. i press the f1 key and nothing happens. i hear the beep from the mobo speaker so it recognises it, but it just wont go to the bios
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:30:52 PM

Try a different keyboard. None of the keys work do to anything? Your Caps Lock and Num Lock keys work?
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:37:05 PM

yeah ive already tryed a usb keyboard and a ps2 keyboard
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:55:07 PM

What exactly does it say when the PC starts? Starting to sound like the motherboard is bad, maybe the CPU or RAM, or something was not seated right.
m
l
April 5, 2012 9:27:44 PM

it says that i have bios version 6.00, copyright 1984-2011, my motherboard modle number, my cpu (amd fx 4100 quad core), the left side of the screen is kinda cut off but from what i can see it says vid :00600f12 patch id:0609>,memmory testing : 3838mb ok + 256m shared memory, memory information : ddr3 1333, and at the bottom it says f1: BIOS, f9: xpressrecovery2, f12: boot menu, end: qflash. it lets me go into the boot menu, and the qflash, and when i go into the xpressrecovery2 it just sits at the blinking line like at a command line or command prompt. it just for some reason wont let me in the bios.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 9:35:29 PM

with gigbyte boards there only about 30 sec to hit f1 to get into the bios if you wait too long you end up at that blank screen.
try this power the desktop up and hit f1 as soon as you can.
m
l
April 5, 2012 9:45:24 PM

i just tried it, i was spamming f1 from the second i hit the power button, i think its progress because it diddnt continue to the blanco screen, but it diddnt go to the bios its just sitting there with the blinking line. should i leave it and see what happens or turn of the pc?
m
l
April 6, 2012 2:00:27 PM

ChazC813 said:
it says that i have bios version 6.00, copyright 1984-2011, my motherboard modle number, my cpu (amd fx 4100 quad core), the left side of the screen is kinda cut off but from what i can see it says vid :00600f12 patch id:0609>,memmory testing : 3838mb ok + 256m shared memory, memory information : ddr3 1333, and at the bottom it says f1: BIOS, f9: xpressrecovery2, f12: boot menu, end: qflash. it lets me go into the boot menu, and the qflash, and when i go into the xpressrecovery2 it just sits at the blinking line like at a command line or command prompt. it just for some reason wont let me in the bios.

That's a normal looking BIOS screen, aside from the fact that it won't start the BIOS. I though it would give you some error on the screen.

What happens if you just go to the boot order and select the drive to install Windows from? You may need to try a new motherboard since you seem to have ruled out a keyboard issue.
m
l
!