Sign in with
Your question

How does one go about selling old PC parts?

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 7:54:33 PM

I've got a few PC parts that I'd love to sell - most are in good to excellent condition and I know about eBay but there's so many dishonest people from both sides on eBay that's it's hard to justify using it. Is there any other alternative or am I stuck with that?

More about : selling parts

April 5, 2012 8:10:31 PM

Hey GUNIT,

If you know anybody who might be technically inclined in your area - maybe you could hock them off to them?

I've also read about some people buying stuff off of craigslist...however the same issues might apply to that website as ebay.

I know it's hard to do...I sold my custom build a few years ago to a friend, however I just sold the whole system for cheap just so I could get some money for a new comp.
April 5, 2012 8:11:09 PM

You could try Craigslist, but you are about 100% likely to get about 50% as much as you could get on Ebay.

Alternatively, on ebay you are about 50% likely to get 90% value and 50% like to get $0.

BTW, which parts are you trying to sell?
Related resources
April 5, 2012 8:24:09 PM

Raiddinn said:
You could try Craigslist, but you are about 100% likely to get about 50% as much as you could get on Ebay.

Alternatively, on ebay you are about 50% likely to get 90% value and 50% like to get $0.

BTW, which parts are you trying to sell?

I've got a PSU (Corsair TX750), an old case (Antec 900), and possibly one of my 550TIs (buying my 7870 this week). The Antec 900 has a couple of missing parts but otherwise works fine. Pretty much all the connectors on the TX750 work and I've tested them. The 550TI works fine.
April 5, 2012 8:33:06 PM

I sell stuff on ebay all the time and while sometimes you get annoying (or dishonest) people, if you use paypal and be sure you list carefully, you should be fine. I find it the best way to sell.
April 5, 2012 9:53:04 PM

I've bought a couple things on kijiji (~craigslist).

40GB WD Raptor like 5 years ago for 60$
recently, 2x BFG 8800GTS 50$

and they all worked correctly, I'm still using the pieces.

Try it out and see what calls you get.
April 5, 2012 10:01:15 PM

I have used eBay to sell computer parts and other electronics. Be honest in your description, use PayPal and everything should go pretty smooth.
April 5, 2012 10:41:37 PM

I generally use Ebay to sell the massive pile of old pc parts i have.
Out of over 100 listings i've only had one problem which was an idiot i sold a Mainboard + CPU too who could not get it working, which then he wanted a Refund WITHOUT returning the item.
Stood my ground made him return the item, Gave him a refund to get rid of him, item worked fine so i resold it to some one else.
April 5, 2012 10:52:47 PM

kitsunestarwind said:
I generally use Ebay to sell the massive pile of old pc parts i have.
Out of over 100 listings i've only had one problem which was an idiot i sold a Mainboard + CPU too who could not get it working, which then he wanted a Refund WITHOUT returning the item.
Stood my ground made him return the item, Gave him a refund to get rid of him, item worked fine so i resold it to some one else.

Some people. I had a guy who was complaining that he couldn't access his money. He listened to me maybe the 2046u52046249064 time that I told him his PayPal accounts was not verified
April 5, 2012 11:17:11 PM

How much are you going to sell your 550 for if you sell one, if you don't mind me asking.
April 6, 2012 12:08:35 AM

BuBzXXL said:
How much are you going to sell your 550 for if you sell one, if you don't mind me asking.

I paid about $169 for it, probably sell it for about $120 - $130 to be fair. It's still fairly new and works as advertised and I think I have the original box for it. I'm buying a 7870 hence the reason for selling it.
April 6, 2012 1:20:51 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I paid about $169 for it, probably sell it for about $120 - $130 to be fair. It's still fairly new and works as advertised and I think I have the original box for it. I'm buying a 7870 hence the reason for selling it.

You're gonna wanna rethink that as they are 120 brand new
April 6, 2012 1:47:01 AM

NEVER GO BY WHAT YOU PAID FOR SOMETHING. Prices drop all the time, and worse, newer faster parts come out that are cheaper all the time. A 550TI is similar to the 5770/6770 which I see go used for $100.

Many of these tech sites have For Sale/For Trade sections in their forums. You might need to jump through some hoops in order to post in them however. You'll also get less then you want due to shipping but its a good way to find/sell gear. Nearly everything I have in my tower right now has been done this way. (Including my newest parts like a 2TB hdd and my 25" 1080 monitors.)
April 6, 2012 5:07:28 AM

unksol said:
You're gonna wanna rethink that as they are 120 brand new

Is that for the 1 or 2GB model?
April 6, 2012 9:36:07 AM

Shouldn't matter to much for that card. A 1GB will perform just like a 2GB.
April 6, 2012 2:00:38 PM

Most of the time it does perform exactly the same, but not always.

However, I think it would be hard to find a buyer who is willing to pay more for the extra 1GB.

If a buyer was found, they would probably not care about the difference and want to pay as if it were the 1GB anyway.
!