Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hot temps for i7 3770K

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 19, 2012 1:20:04 AM

Hi guys, I'm noticed, while running Prime95 my i7 3770k got all the way up to 95-ish degrees and core temp notified me that the cores were hot. Should I be concerned? what are the normal temps i should be getting while running Prime95? My system is small (a shuttle z77r5) so it might be a tad hotter.

More about : hot temps 3770k

a c 132 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 1:34:33 AM

80-85C with Intel stock cooler in a standard case running Prime95 would be normal.

In a SFF, things would naturally get somewhat worse. You might want to re-test running "normal" programs instead of Prime95 to see how things turn out under normal load instead of burn-in test... unless you built that PC for Prime95.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 2:21:22 AM

What cooler, what clock speed? what voltage?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 355 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 2:35:25 AM

That is too hot, yes. I think your small case is trapping heat and not letting the heat sync cool. (Assuming the heat sync was installed correctly) If you intend on stressing the processor like that in normal use, I'd think about a better case or more cooling. If it is just for HTPC use, you'll never stress it any where near what Prime95 does.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 4:48:57 PM

clutchc said:
That is too hot, yes. I think your small case is trapping heat and not letting the heat sync cool. (Assuming the heat sync was installed correctly) If you intend on stressing the processor like that in normal use, I'd think about a better case or more cooling. If it is just for HTPC use, you'll never stress it any where near what Prime95 does.

yeah I'm going to use my PC for some gaming but not really any other cpu stressing programs. Gaming doesn't stress the cpu, only the gpu though.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 4:49:57 PM

Graphite946 said:
What cooler, what clock speed? what voltage?

Everything at stock
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 4:55:14 PM

Yeah when i normally use my cpu all temps are below 65 but i haven;'t started gaming on the computer. However I don't expect the cpu to heat up to 90-ish degrees when gaming though. So i should be ok right?
m
0
l
a c 355 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 6:46:52 PM

david_12 said:
Yeah when i normally use my cpu all temps are below 65 but i haven;'t started gaming on the computer. However I don't expect the cpu to heat up to 90-ish degrees when gaming though. So i should be ok right?

Modern games aren't all GPU intensive. Some are CPU intensive, too. If you are going to be using the HTPC for gaming, I'd get that hi-temp problem remidied first. Double check that the push pins are opened correctly behind the motherboard and that the cooler's 4 posts are sitting flush to the motherboard. If the base of the heat sync isn't sitting tight to the CPU, heat transfer will suffer.
m
0
l
July 21, 2012 5:25:23 PM

david_12 said:
Yeah when i normally use my cpu all temps are below 65 but i haven;'t started gaming on the computer. However I don't expect the cpu to heat up to 90-ish degrees when gaming though. So i should be ok right?



Normal use, IE internet browsing, playing pandora, looking at brazzers...my CPU never goes north of 40c with my fan controller on low.

When I game, OC'd to 4.5, and voltage at 1.27, it will touch 65c with the fan controller full on. (MB controlled..)

3570k with hyper 212. Room temp is around 25c
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 11:37:40 PM

Will I have to redo the thermal paste if i Do find an issue and have to remove the heatsink? Also, Which Thermal compound should i use to get max preformance? Please list some.
m
0
l
July 22, 2012 11:40:21 PM

Oh yeah also I have seen many different ways of appling the paste and i was wondering what is the best method. I used the Vertical line method that Artic silver recommends and i used their AS5 paste
m
0
l
a c 355 à CPUs
July 23, 2012 1:47:40 AM

david_12 said:
Oh yeah also I have seen many different ways of appling the paste and i was wondering what is the best method. I used the Vertical line method that Artic silver recommends and i used their AS5 paste

For AS5, use their recommendations: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.ht...
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 4:41:04 PM

Ok guys, 4 questions. I have Found that two of my push pins on my cooler are a little bit higher than the other two. I am going to have to pull those out and push them back in. Question #1 Can I do this while appling pressure to the heatsink (down) to keep from having to reapply the thermal componud? If so will the pressure damage the cpu? Also,, what do you guys think would be acceptable temps after i do this? (IE normal temps for the 3770K at stock) And finally, how many degrees (C) do you guys think my temps will drop? Thanks.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 4:42:37 PM

I don't want to reappy the paste becuase i don't have any left and don't want to go buy more.
m
0
l
a c 132 à CPUs
July 23, 2012 5:26:48 PM

david_12 said:
Question #1 Can I do this while appling pressure to the heatsink (down) to keep from having to reapply the thermal componud? If so will the pressure damage the cpu?

The main reason for re-applying is to avoid trapping bubbles when re-attaching a HSF. As long as the CPU did not detach from the HSF, air should not be getting in-between and you should be ok.

As far as damaging the CPU goes, you would probably crack your motherboard before you manage to damage the CPU since pressure you apply to the HSF is transferred to the IHS which spreads pressure across a large chunk of the LGA socket which is backed by the CPU socket retention plate on the back-side which prevents flex around the immediate CPU area.

Temperature-wise, you can expect 80-85C with Prime95 on stock HSF. If you want to run CPU-intensive stuff like that continuously, you should consider upgrading to some sort of half-decent aftermarket cooling. With the 212EVO, you could expect 65-75C.
m
0
l
July 23, 2012 5:29:10 PM

InvalidError said:
The main reason for re-applying is to avoid trapping bubbles when re-attaching a HSF. As long as the CPU did not detach from the HSF, air should not be getting in-between and you should be ok.

As far as damaging the CPU goes, you would probably crack your motherboard before you manage to damage the CPU since pressure you apply to the HSF is transferred to the IHS which spreads pressure across a large chunk of the LGA socket which is backed by the CPU socket retention plate on the back-side which prevents flex around the immediate CPU area.

Temperature-wise, you can expect 80-85C with Prime95 on stock HSF. If you want to run CPU-intensive stuff like that continuously, you should consider upgrading to some sort of half-decent aftermarket cooling. With the 212EVO, you could expect 65-75C.

So i can go ahead and fix it without making other issues? i'm using the Shuttle ICE heatpipe cooler. Nothing else will fix in my shuttle.
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 12:39:56 AM

Urgh, i tired to do that but only got minimal gains. still 90ish degrees...
m
0
l
a c 132 à CPUs
July 26, 2012 4:44:13 AM

david_12 said:
Urgh, i tired to do that but only got minimal gains. still 90ish degrees...

Considering that the XPC has a custom HSF contraption, there isn't much that can be done about it.

If you are 100% certain that the heatsink base is correctly secured and the radiator end of the heatpipes is not applying torque to the plate which might be causing the plate to sit askew on top of the CPU, the only thing left would be switching to a more conventional case to allow more conventional cooling options.
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 5:34:52 PM

InvalidError said:
Considering that the XPC has a custom HSF contraption, there isn't much that can be done about it.

If you are 100% certain that the heatsink base is correctly secured and the radiator end of the heatpipes is not applying torque to the plate which might be causing the plate to sit askew on top of the CPU, the only thing left would be switching to a more conventional case to allow more conventional cooling options.

I DID remember that when following arctic silver's instructions on how to tint the heatsink, i forgot to wipe off excess paste (basically i made a layer of AS5 on the heatsink as well as use the vertical line method for the cpu) Could the increased amount of thermal compund the root of my problems instead of the heatsink mounting?
m
0
l
a c 132 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 12:06:54 AM

david_12 said:
Could the increased amount of thermal compund the root of my problems instead of the heatsink mounting?

If there is sufficient contact force, most of the excess should get squeezed out and this should be largely a non-issue apart for the mess it might leave behind.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 4:56:19 PM

InvalidError said:
If there is sufficient contact force, most of the excess should get squeezed out and this should be largely a non-issue apart for the mess it might leave behind.

Yeah my heatsink is very light. It doesn't put much pressure on the cpu
m
0
l
a c 132 à CPUs
July 28, 2012 11:24:07 AM

Quote:
Feel your heatsink..If it's getting warm,It's doing its job..If it's cool..You have a bad mount.

Or it could be that Shuttle's proprietary SFF HSF is hopeless on IB and ends up faring 5-10C worse than Intel stock cooler.
m
0
l
!