joerowland

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
OK so here is my system.

CPU Intel i5 2500k 3.3ghz

MoBo ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3

PSU Corsair 850w

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1333

GPU ATI radeon HD 4650 1gb (old card I know just waiting for cash to get a 560 ti)

HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB

OS Windows 7 64 bit.

Okay the problem is I checked the processor speed and it is running at 3.297Ghz instead of 3.3Ghz now I know that isn't a great big deal but could this be showing a fault in the chip or any other hardware since I only built this PC like 1 week ago?

Thanks in advance.

First of all a few hundred MHz really won't make that much of a noticable difference in performance. Secondly I wouldn't worry about it, you have a k version CPU overclock it and thenit REALLY won't matter. With good aftermarket cooling you can easily overclock the 2500k to 4.5 GHz.

its cause by slight variation in the auto multiplyer. most motherboards have a slight variation on the base clock. mine is supposed to be 133 which should be 2.66ghz but its actually 1.34.2 most of the time which puts me at 2.67 ghz stock. this is just a typical variance as the boards are built to tolerance rather than absolutes.
its to do with how the caps feed the quartz crystal that produces the timings. a minute variation in the +/- of the voltage to the quarts will cause it to vibrate at a slightly different frequency and if its within a certain amount give or take they will call it 133 and be done with it... over the course of the manufacture this variance can either build up or deminish if it builds up to much you end up with an unstable system resulting in a faulty motherboard... i think the current average is about 2%=/- variance

at least thats how i understand it to be...

gilpin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

This may be because you have Spread Spectrum set in the bios, which will change the frequency slightly to deal with potential interference. If you turn this off you should get a 3.3 Ghz.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I think u should sue and complain for false advertising

then your lawyers can make a bunch of money
and prices for the consumer can go up more

AKA.. the American Way we handle problems

joerowland

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
lol thanks guys. It was just me worrying to be honest, not complaining at all because everything is working and is very fast compared to my old 1.8ghz processor which was a pain haha. I am planning of OCing to 4.5 after I have read a couple of guides and stuff... what cooler should I buy?

More or less right on.