Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Crashing Problem help!

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 9:02:28 PM

Hello I've been having some problems with my computer it's been crashing lately and it's where my computer makes like a restart sound like a lightsaber powering-up then powering-down and my screen goes black.

I looked around and I thought it could have been from overclocking so I took out the battery and reset my bios to factory defaults and it seemed to stop after a while but it's doing it again and it generally happens when my computer is locking up from trying to do to much stuff or it happens when I'm on voice chat in steam and playing a game..

Another thing I should mention is that I bought all my parts except my hard drive and my powery supply so I thought maybe the PSU is dying but I don't have the tools or experience to test that so I'm wondering if I can get some help on it.. I did some heating tests and checked my temps which all seem to be ok.

Just give me directions on what I need to do before I go out and buy another PSU, mine now is a 400-watt.

More about : crashing problem

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 9:08:06 PM

It sounds like a bad PSU.

Please list the maker and model of all your parts inside and including the case.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 9:10:05 PM

Ragutou said:
Hello I've been having some problems with my computer it's been crashing lately and it's where my computer makes like a restart sound like a lightsaber powering-up then powering-down and my screen goes black.

I looked around and I thought it could have been from overclocking so I took out the battery and reset my bios to factory defaults and it seemed to stop after a while but it's doing it again and it generally happens when my computer is locking up from trying to do to much stuff or it happens when I'm on voice chat in steam and playing a game..

Another thing I should mention is that I bought all my parts except my hard drive and my powery supply so I thought maybe the PSU is dying but I don't have the tools or experience to test that so I'm wondering if I can get some help on it.. I did some heating tests and checked my temps which all seem to be ok.

Just give me directions on what I need to do before I go out and buy another PSU, mine now is a 400-watt.

You'll get a lot more help on this board if everyone knows what they're dealing with so please list your components. (CPU,GPU,PSU,MOBO,RAM -etc.)
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2012 9:44:00 PM

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6670

Ram: Ripjaw G-Skill Ddr3, I have 4GB of Ram

Motherboard: Biostar A880G+

CPU: Amd Athlon II X2 250

PSU: Antect SP-400(Model Number) 400-Watt
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 10:01:10 PM

Ragutou said:
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6670

Ram: Ripjaw G-Skill Ddr3, I have 4GB of Ram

Motherboard: Biostar A880G+

CPU: Amd Athlon II X2 250

PSU: Antect SP-400(Model Number) 400-Watt

Yeah it sounds (and looks) like it might be your PSU. It's kind of "lite" in the amp department. You've got a good brand name though. Make sure it's replacement has a good name also.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 10:08:22 PM

Here's a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Plenty of watts - 2 12v rails - more than enough for what you are doing. This one actually has 38A (per rail) versus your old one's 10A/15A.
April 5, 2012 10:13:17 PM

What is your case maker and model? It matters a lot more than you think.
m
l
April 5, 2012 10:40:23 PM

I don't know the case maker and model... I can't find it.
m
l
April 5, 2012 10:58:43 PM

At least tell me how many fans it has, how they are oriented, and their approximate sizes then.

Also, is the PSU on the top or on the bottom?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 10:58:57 PM

Ragutou said:
I don't know the case maker and model... I can't find it.

Was it a pre-built?
m
l
April 5, 2012 11:14:19 PM

Custom Built yep, PSU is on the bottom and I've had the case open the whole side of it is off and it's got.

I checked my heating with programs and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Unless it's PSU overheating?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 11:26:33 PM

Ragutou said:
Custom Built yep, PSU is on the bottom and I've had the case open the whole side of it is off and it's got.

I checked my heating with programs and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Unless it's PSU overheating?

I still think your PSU is a little on the "weak" side, in amperage your about as far as you can go. The item above that I suggested is the exact same size (physically) as the one you have now so I know it'll fit if you decide to go that way.
m
l
April 5, 2012 11:28:18 PM

He also said that one of the fans on his PSU doesn't spin and that it's used, so it sounds like it's faulty to me.
m
l
April 6, 2012 1:53:38 AM

Best answer selected by Ragutou.
m
l
!