Solved

i5-3570K or i7-3770 ?

Hello, World.

I'm building a rig for college that will serve for gaming (duh) and video editing.
I picked up an i7-3770 (non-K)from MicroCenter today but it's obviously used and/or returned. I intend to exchange it tomorrow.

Thing is, while I was there, the associate who was helping me casually asked me about which MoBo I plan to use and lo and behold, they have a deal for that very same one.
They'll bundle the ASUS P8Z77 V-Pro/Thunderbolt and the i5-3570K for [insert good price here].
I don't remember the price because whenever an associate tries to sell me something I'm not there to buy I shut off my ears. If I remember correctly, I was getting the MoBo and the i5 processor for the cost of the i7 alone.

Now that I've done some research, it seems prudent to ditch the i7-3770 and go for the i5-3570K. Both CPUs seem to be good enough for my needs. Yes, the i7 does indeed have Hyper Threading but I doubt I'll use it to justify the cost. I'd rather put the money towards a second GPU.
Most other threads with essentially the same question discuss gaming, but being able to use Adobe CS6 (Photoshop, After FX, Premiere) is of MORE importance to me.

So, i7-3770?
OR
i5-3570K?
33 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3570k 3770
  1. Best answer
    i would go with the I5 and pick up an aftermarket cooler, and overclock
  2. nna2 said:
    i would go with the I5 and pick up an aftermarket cooler, and overclock

    Haha, the first thing I ordered was a Hyper 212 Evo and and a couple Cougar fans.
    Eventually, I'll move to watercooling.
  3. ^make sure to do it right then :) not one of those cheesy pre builts
  4. go for the 3570k,

    per this article,

    http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html#main_Use_a_fast_enough_processor

    spend your money to max out ram. start with 16gb at least
  5. nna2 said:
    ^make sure to do it right then :) not one of those cheesy pre builts

    Absolutely not. I want to ditch radiators and simply cool the water with a phase-change cooler. :D
    Notice I say "want to"
    Darned humidity in Austin, TX.
  6. raytseng said:
    go for the 3570k,

    per this article,

    http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html#main_Use_a_fast_enough_processor

    spend your money to max out ram. start with 16gb at least

    Yes, Master raytseng.
    One of these: http://amzn.to/NjuB7U
    Is already in my cart.
  7. kshitijmd said:
    Yes, Master raytseng.
    One of these: http://amzn.to/NjuB7U
    Is already in my cart.

    Sorry, but they don't fit under the CPU cooler.
  8. U will run into this issue.

  9. Exchange it, get a K version ( i7-3770k ) and a decent CPU cooler.....
  10. i7-3770 is much better choice for what u wanna do due to the number of the threads,

    4 vs 8 for the 3770K.
  11. nikorr said:
    Sorry, but they don't fit under the CPU cooler.

    :cry:
    How about with an Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt? http://bit.ly/NjwbXl
    And don't the fins come off?
  12. nikorr said:
    i7-3770 is much better choice for what u wanna do due to the number of the threads,

    4 vs 8 for the 3770K.

    To my knowledge, additional threads via Hyper Threading only give about 30% more performance?
  13. What about this one?


    This is one I have and never any issue : )

    I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile.
    And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233198
    Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.
  14. kshitijmd said:
    To my knowledge, additional threads via Hyper Threading only give about 30% more performance?

    That would be enough, wouldn't it?
  15. nikorr said:
    That would be enough, wouldn't it?

    It depends on the cost to me.
    I can't find that particular bundle online, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out exactly how much I'll save by going with the i5.
    If I remember correctly, the cost of the i7 was about $30-$50 less than the cost of the i5+MoBo.
    If that is indeed the case I'll go for the i5+MoBo.
  16. This one will do just fine : ) There would be no benefit to go higher.

    It still manage to OC to 4.9GHz.

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/
  17. nikorr said:
    What about this one?


    This is one I have and never any issue : )

    I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile.
    And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233198
    Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.
    http://www.links.co.jp/items/cml16gx3m4a1600c9b_09.jpg

    Done. :)
    You just saved me a lot of time. +9000 Karma.
  18. nikorr said:
    This one will do just fine : ) There would be no benefit to go higher.

    It still manage to OC to 4.9GHz.

    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/

    I specifically wanted the Thunderbolt port, although you're right in assuming/magically-knowing that I have to immediate need, just future-proofing.
    Then again, the V-Pro + TH was the board that Micro Center bundled with the i5.
    We'll find out tomorrow.
  19. Well, if u need TB, than get it. Its better on mobo, instead of some PCI card ": )
  20. I went with the Asus P8Z77 V-Pro and the i5-3570K and saved $50 while at it.
    As for the heatsink fans jutting over the DIMM slots, they don't.
    But the low profile sticks had already arrived by the time I realized that, and I don't think the taller sticks will affect cooling enough to warrant returning and waiting for a new set.

    Thank you guys!
  21. Quote:
    If you will be overclocking..3770K
    Intel made all the 3570Ks from the lower-binned chips it seems
    This RAM is better than Vengeance ..Mine is at 7-8-8-20 (1600)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Memory+%28Desktop+Memory%29-_-SAMSUNG-_-20147096


    not nessicarily
    and what? i see 11-11-12, call me crazy
  22. kshitijmd said:
    I went with the Asus P8Z77 V-Pro and the i5-3570K and saved $50 while at it.
    As for the heatsink fans jutting over the DIMM slots, they don't.
    But the low profile sticks had already arrived by the time I realized that, and I don't think the taller sticks will affect cooling enough to warrant returning and waiting for a new set.

    Thank you guys!

    U cannot go wrong with that mobo! And that CPU.

    The taller Vengeance sticks don't fit under the larger CPU aftermarket coolers.
  23. Quote:
    How do you upload/imbed pictures here?


    Use this -> paste the image link here between" class="img lazy">
  24. nikorr said:
    U cannot go wrong with that mobo! And that CPU.

    The taller Vengeance sticks don't fit under the larger CPU aftermarket coolers.


    but you can adjust the fans on some of em, or cut the top of the spreader off at the risk of losing warranty
  25. nna2 said:
    but you can adjust the fans on some of em, or cut the top of the spreader off at the risk of losing warranty

    Yes, or use slot #2 and #4, if it works.
  26. Quote:
    How do you upload/imbed pictures here?
    http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5052/rambb.jpg

    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    what kind of volts are you using?
  27. Quote:

    also..Vengeance won't do this :P
    http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3984/hiram.jpg


    yes it will
  28. Whats the point of the other one?
  29. Quote:
    I'm doing it wrong.. what file system do you format it as?

    FAT32
  30. Quote:
    What's the point of that?

    Actually, I would like to see how it would do against much faster RAM.
  31. Basically create 4GB RAMdisc, it will popup in win explorer and than u run the CDmark.

    http://crystalmark.info/software/index-e.html
  32. Best answer selected by kshitijmd.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Intel i5 Product