Computer stuck at splash screen and no post beep.

thomthoms3

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I have just finished building my pc, It was booting into the BIOS fine and I could launch the windows installer. The windows installation started to work as it was installing onto my HDD but then the installation failed. I can't exactly remember the error but after that it wouldn't let me install it onto the selected HDD. I launched the windows repair that was built into the windows installer disk and rebooted the computer. After the computer rebooted it was stuck at the Asus BIOS splash screen and none of the keyboard commands would work. Here's the weird part: the power button on the case wouldn't turn off the computer, but after clicking it a couple times it would finally turn off but after about 10 seconds after I pushed the power button. I finally just switched the switch on the PSU. I plugged in the speaker into the MOBO and turned on the computer (the power switch on the case worked for powering on the computer but not when turning off the computer). So after turning on the power, the CPU and case fans would spin and everything looked fine, but no beep from the speaker. Please help, I don't think its a MOBO issue because it was working fine before I tried to install windows. PLEASE HELP! Here are my specs:

Asus Intel 1155 P8Z68 V-LE
Corsair vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair TX650 PSU
Intel Core i5 2500K
GeForce GTX 570 GPU

Leave out the video card.

Try taking out 1 stick of RAM and see if anything changes. If not, put it back in and take the other one out and then try to see if anything changes.

I am kinda thinking motherboard or CPU at the moment, but I want to rule out the easy stuff is possible.

thomthoms3

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Okay so here's an update. I got the installer open somehow and deleted all partitions then repartitioned the drive. I installed windows and restarted the computer. It got stuck at the splash screen again but I waited like five minutes and suddenly the installer opened again.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I had this same issue with my very first PC build. If you take all the RAM out and turn it on you should get three beeps. If you don't get any, then either your mobo speaker isn't working or attached correctly or your mobo is crap. If you get three beeps without RAM installed, you know it is the RAM.

What I'd do is pull the battery out of the mobo to reset everything. Disconnect all the drives, and remove all the RAM. If it posts, add the gpu. If it still posts, add the RAM. If it still posts, add the HD. If it never posts, its most likely the mobo. The only way the CPU could be bad is if a pin is bent or there's too much thermal grease shorting something out. You could also be shorting out on the case, but this is unlikely if you used the standoffs.

Just make sure your mobo speaker is working and the manual will tell what all the sequences of beeps mean. Let me know how it goes.

Did you try the RAM stuff I asked you to try?

It sounds like you have a serious problem in the core (processor/motherboard/RAM) and I still would like to try to rule out the easiest one to rule out if at all possible.

Also, if you can, download and run a program called Memtest86+ (just like that) and copy it to a CD and try to start the computer with that instead of the Windows CD.

Try to test your RAM with it and tell me what happens.

If the RAM isn't in, adding other stuff like video cards won't really help that I am aware of. AFAIK, the test for the video card is after the test for the RAM, so it wouldn't change anything.

Also, I don't think a short in the case can cause a system to freeze.

Another thing, a bad processor or bad motherboard can make it through a POST, they can even make it through a Windows install sometimes. It isn't as simple as saying if you have 3 beeps then it is bad RAM.

CPUs can also be bad for other reasons than just a bent pin or too much thermal paste.

It is common for chip makers to make, say, a 4 core chip and if they test it and find that one of the cores obviously has a flaw then they disable it and maybe one other and call it a 2 core chip instead rather than throwing the whole thing away.

These tests they do are long enough to get about 95% of all the CPU core failures, but that leaves 5% or so of the ones that failed that weren't detected as failures. Those can make it into the consumer's hands.

Just wanted to throw that stuff out there.

you did not post the cpu or the drives on your build. it your running one of the newer i7 or i-5 check your mb bios rev if it too old it wont have the right cpu id code for your cpu. also if you have an ssd as the boot drive you may need to update the fireware for it to work right.