Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rate my build & Advice on motherboard- crossfire

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 10:08:32 PM

Hi all. I recently posted my first build 'spec' and have made some good changes (thanks for the advice). I'm now happy with pretty much all parts ( still considering changing the case). I'd apprecaite you rating my rig and advicing me whether my motherboard is good for crossfire'ing my hd 7850 in the future. The current mother board i've selected has a 16x and 4x pci. Based on my intention to crossfire in future, should i go for my alternate motherboard choice? Its about £30 more, but i have literally stretched my budget to the max!

**UPDATE** Someone did suggest I stick with my current motherboard and single gpu (because of the problems with crossfire) & in future when i fancy an upgrade, just sell off the 7850 and buy an upgrade. If I choose thise option, I'll stick with my asus motherboard, downgrade the psu to a 430/450w and upgrade the case to a AeroCool Strike-X Red GT or HAF 912. Thanks in advance!

Processor: Intel Core i5 Quad Core (2550K) 3.4GHz

Graphics: Single Radeon HD 7850 (crossfire or singel upgrade in future)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX S1155 Intel **OR** Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H (B3)

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz

Power supply: Corsair Memory 600W Builder Series CX V2 ATX PSU

Case: Coolermast Elite 430 / AeroCool Strike-X Red GT / HAF 912

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 evo

And a few additional fans, depending on the case I get.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 10:30:06 PM

16x/4x crossfire won't make a difference at 'normal' resolutions (1920x1080), but when you go up higher or use Eyefinity there is a measurable difference.

I say measurable because it's 2-3FPS difference.
I had read an article on it, but it seems to have disappeared.

Go with the ASUS P8Z68-V LX, it's a very solid board (not as easy to overclock cause you have to work with CPU VCore offsets, instead of just setting a voltage, but this is the "correct" way of overclocking the processor).

I would up the PSU a bit, get it modular if you can...

Also, get a tube of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

Other than that, very nice build. :) 
April 5, 2012 10:55:26 PM

Nice build but if you do you need to get a larger psu you could just get a 2500k instead of a 2550k which has very minisule performanve over the 2500k.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 5, 2012 11:02:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'll stick with the asus and look into modular psu prices. I've got a tube of AS 5 already! I really don't know much about overclocking, i'll look into it in the future after building the rig!
April 5, 2012 11:35:25 PM

Best answer selected by yodagps.
!