Sign in with
Your question

New build is their any deal breakers in there i should be worried about?

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 10:31:50 PM

OK so my new computer will be arriving in a few days and since I ordered I have been looking at forums (which might be a bad idea after I have already ordered).

This is my build:

BLUETOOTH: USB Bluetooth 2.X EDR Dongle with Led Light Thumb Size [+12]
CAS: * Apevia X-Trooper LED Light Mid-Tower Case w/ Side Window [+0] (Green LED Light Color [+0])
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [-37] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: None [-3]
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub [+29]
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 mATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X4 & 1 PCIe X1 (All Venom OC Certified) [+23]
MOUSE: Corsair Vengeance M60 Performance FPS Laser Gaming Mouse [+0]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Free Microsoft(R) Office(R) 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising) [+0]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [-34] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

I am new to this custom building so go easy. I was hoping for a mid lvl gaming computer and I believe I have achieved that for a good price.

I know the PSU is crap and have already gotten the CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular as a replacement. A lesson learned.

Is there anything else I should consider replacing or something that might fry my computer? I know the 650w PSU is more then recommended for my GPU but will it handle everything else in my comp?

I am on a budget of about 1000$ and with the new PSU I am over by about 50$ but I don't need a 1000$ door stop.

Any and all advice is appreciated, I have used mac my whole life but was willing to pay 3k for the apple name with the same specs.

Thanks.
April 5, 2012 10:50:26 PM

Cyberpower? All in all, it looks okay.
April 5, 2012 10:54:30 PM

everything is fine. It will play most current games on high at 1920x1080. There are things that could be tweaked of course, but since it's ordered don't worry.

The 650W psu is fine. The original 800W would also be fine. It isn't a high quality psu by any means, but the chance of it blowing up is very low. Also cyberpower would repair it if it broke due to that psu.
Related resources
April 5, 2012 11:11:46 PM

Yeah its cyberpower. I've read the bad but all those PC companies seem to have some bad reviews and there are still quite a few good reviews.

Thats good to know about the PSU. I will probably still replace it and then that way I'll have a spare PSU just incase.

I will probably keep an eye on the Asetek cooling system since it is liquid, I will check for any leaks from time to time.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to know about possible tweaks I could make for future investments because I am hoping that as my system gets outdated I can add on and keep it current every few years? Obviously, I could upgrade everything if I had more money to put into it. But in terms of parts on the comp that I should worry about upgrading sooner than later?

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate you taking the time.
April 7, 2012 12:41:29 AM

The next upgrade would be the gpu. The 6870 is fine for playing current games on high-ish but will need upgrading if you want to play bf3 or future games on max. You are on a 1920x1080 screen right?'

You should also overclock it. It's quite easy with sandy bridge. Just set vcore (or core voltage or wtvr name it has in you bios) to 1.35v and the cpu clock to 45x. Then lower the clock in increments of 50 mhz (.5x) until it boots and runs prime95 for an hour without crashing. Then drop it another .5x and call it stable.

edit: unless you want to get serious about ocing. Then go follow an actual guide.
April 7, 2012 6:34:36 AM

Well that power supply the standard is bad do not get it dont try to save a few bucks by getting a shitty power supply. Get a named brand go with corsair or cooler master.
This will save you a ton of headaches anything branded extreme gear or cyber power is iffy at best the rest of the build looks good though. So you did the right thing by replacing it.
Most of the cyberpower nightmares you read about take a close look at the PSU they used.
April 13, 2012 4:53:31 PM

Multiple things wrong here...

Change the RAM config to 4gb x 2.

The PSU is crap but you know that and have a replacement waiting...

I would toss the water cooler. in this rig its definately a headache not needed. just get a fan. 212 EVo or thermaltake FRio. its all you need and much more.

I dont think you need the ant vibration mounts. i would replace that with the packing foam.

Other than that, everything else is preference and therefore money...

did you use the SPRING0410 code at checkout for 5% off?

April 13, 2012 8:16:10 PM

he's already ordered.
!