Problem with Computer

ramnanjun

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Need help!!!

Yesterday there was medium pop noise from the computer as if something burst. Then lines started appearing on the display. Now I am only able to boot into Safe mode in Windows Vista (32-bit). Not able to boot into Normal mode.

Any suggestions?

Ram

Is the system stable in Safe mode?

What brand / model of computer ?

When you try to boot in normal mode what are the symptoms?

Can you give a blow-by-blow of what you see when you boot in norm mode.. sounds like fans starting, disk starting, anything else, what appears on screen? what is the last thing on screen ? If you got a blue screen, what was on it? maybe something...sys ?

Do you have diagnostics you can run from safe mode? (most prebuilt computers come with diagnostics, also there are a million downloadable boot images you can download to see if you have hardware errors)

Was the medium pop you heard something that could have come from a speaker, or did something hardware definitely go? IF hardware open case and look at MB and video card for signs of burn/smoke. Look at these pictures of blown caps and see if you have any. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague Does anything smell bad, esp near the power supply ?

ramnanjun

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
The system is stable in safe mode. I booted into safe mode to backup my files.

I built the computer from components I bought from NewEgg. It is a AMD Phenom processor.

When I boot in normal mode it goes all the way upto the point where Microsoft Windows appears to load (it will show Microsoft Windows towards the bottom of the display and a status bar goes back and forth). Then that goes away and instead of Windows desktop showing, the screen is black (the final loading of the Windows desktop does not seem to happen). There are no error messages.

The pop is most likely from the computer (I was not there when it happened, my wife heard it). The speakers are on the table, so definitely pop is not from there. The sub-woofer is located close to the computer, so that is a possibility. But lines are now flickering on the screen right after the pop, so seems to do with video.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I had the same issue. Windows stops loading because it cannot load the driver and communicate with the gpu. Remove and/or replace the graphics card. You may have to remove the gpu, load in safe mode, go to device manager and delete the gpu. Then reboot. Let me know. It's frustrating.

ramnanjun

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks. To clarify.

1. Shutdown the computer and remove the GPU
2. Boot into Safe Mode and delete the GPU from Device Manager
3. Shutdown the computer and add the new GPU
4. Reboot into normal mode and install the drivers for the new GPU

Are these steps Correct?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Do you have built in graphics? If so connect your monitor to the I/O port, whichever you have, and see if that works.