Sign in with
Your question

New to building. 3D?? Need help please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2012 11:42:50 AM

Hi there. I a new to this forum and also new to pc building. I am looking to build a 3D pc mainly to support 3D Blu-Ray playback. Maybe to plug into a 3D tv or projector in the future. I want a fast computer for web browsing, torrent downloading etc etc. At the moment this is what i have:-

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 4GB Ram x 2
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDD
Pioneer BDR S06XLB Optical Drive

Below is a list of other components i was going to buy over the next few weeks (trying to cover the cost over a few weeks):-

Intel I5-2500 Processor
EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 1GB Graphics Card
OCZ StealthxStream 700w PSU

I was wondering if the above would be the best for me to buy for 3D playback? Also is the PSU enough for me to run system?

I really am new to this and would like as much help as possible.

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : building

January 29, 2012 1:31:33 PM

PSU is fine. going 3d you have plenty of options. as far as good 3d it sounds like you might be a little tight on money right now??? which depending on the quality could be an issue. (weather you wanted to get an actual 3d display and hardware......or a dongle such as an emitter )
January 29, 2012 1:48:28 PM

Well eventually i will more than likely get a Projector and use the Desktop as a htpc also. I am not sure at the moment but i may also play games. I have a ps3 that i play on so dont think i really want it for gaming at the moment
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 1:57:29 PM

nVidia 3d requires a special display - I have a 6570 in my HTPC which supports 3d in the firmware.

PS3 also supports 3d blu-ray playback, btw (with 3.5 or newer firmware update). So you don't actually need a separate HTPC for it.
January 29, 2012 2:02:55 PM

What CPU would you recommend?
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 2:04:12 PM

WelshViv said:
What CPU would you recommend?

2500k is an awesome CPU - but for my HTPC I went with the Core i3 2100 - more than enough for Blu-ray.
January 29, 2012 2:10:15 PM

I may aswel spend the extra and get the 250k dont you agree?
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 2:12:44 PM

WelshViv said:
I may aswel spend the extra and get the 250k dont you agree?

If you're just using it for blu-ray, that's overkill. And the 2500k will throw off more heat if this is going into a tv stand/entertainment center (as mine was). If you plan to use it for gaming or have money to just throw away...sure :) 
January 29, 2012 2:14:31 PM

I am mainly going to be using this as my desktop so i will be on it most hours unlike a htpc which is not on for long periods of time
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 2:18:34 PM

WelshViv said:
I am mainly going to be using this as my desktop so i will be on it most hours unlike a htpc which is not on for long periods of time

Ok, then if it's a multi-purpose computer, I would go with the 2500k and a higher end AMD card (6870? 6950?). I misunderstood your earlier posts and thought it was an HTPC.
January 29, 2012 2:25:54 PM

My fault for not making it clear. You would go for amd card over nvidia card?
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 2:31:37 PM

WelshViv said:
My fault for not making it clear. You would go for amd card over nvidia card?

Mid-low end I think they're better for the money. At the super high end nVidia is usually better (though right now they have nothing on the HD 7970). Comes down to preference ultimately.

For 3D use though, you want to consider what devices you'll be plugging it into. Both specs require special monitors and glasses which are not cross-compatible. Read: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-3d-vision-h...
January 29, 2012 2:39:25 PM

It will more than likely be connected up to a 3d TV or 3D projector. I dont mind the glasses etc i just dont want to get it wrong to find i have to fork out more cash. These days tvs come with glasses so surely i cant mess up there??
January 29, 2012 2:41:14 PM

I suppose i should really steer away from the idea of 3d tv as my ps3 will do it. What would be the price difference if i decided to just go with hd desktop fast performing but not for gaming?
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 2:44:43 PM

Ah, but the TVs all use different standards and tech - you'll have to research to make sure the particular TV/monitor you're buying works with either 3d vision (nVidia) or HD3D (AMD). Not all "3d ready" tvs/glasses work with either/both.

And there are both active and passive glasses, depending on the TV.
January 29, 2012 3:01:32 PM

Ok. Lets say if it did not matter what tv i was to get, i will buy one to pair with the desktop, what would you go for?
January 29, 2012 3:02:26 PM

What would you go for if i was to not go for 3d?
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 3:10:01 PM

W/o 3d, I would go for AMD - I used to be an nVidia fan but had too many let downs and have been happy switching to AMD. I have a 6870 in my primary desktop and a 6570 in my HTPC.

With 3d...tough one, I'd have to look at matching monitor availability (probably greater with nVidia). Also, based on the article I pasted, it seems that the 3d vision is a bit further along.

And I'd use the PS3 for 3D blu-ray :) 
January 29, 2012 3:14:13 PM

And what processor would you recommend without wasting any of its energy?
January 29, 2012 3:18:10 PM

Decided against the 3d and gaming. The ps3 that will do all that. Basically would like it for bluray playback fast fast fast downloading, transfering of files and possibly ripping blurays and decoding to compress. Now i really am stuck as i have totally changed my game plan lol
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 3:24:05 PM

WelshViv said:
Decided against the 3d and gaming. The ps3 that will do all that. Basically would like it for bluray playback fast fast fast downloading, transfering of files and possibly ripping blurays and decoding to compress. Now i really am stuck as i have totally changed my game plan lol

Well, any computer can do (most of) that. Except the decoding/re-encoding. That requires the fast proc, or waiting all day. So I'd go with the 2500k or 2700k even.
January 29, 2012 3:26:04 PM

I was going to get 700w psu. Do you think this is overkill?
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 3:29:43 PM

No, that sounds fine - I'd go with a quality 80+ certified one though. Cut the w to 600 if that's what you need to get a good quality one (for budget purposes)
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 3:45:21 PM

I have an old E8500 and a GTX 460 that works great for 3D blu-ray playback. I have a 720P 3D projector hooked up to it and the Nvidia 3D vision glasses and use Corel Win DVD for playback and everything is hunky dory, so I think you have a great setup planned there for what you want to do, and as others have said you could probably go with a cheaper i3 and still have it do what you want.

January 29, 2012 3:51:26 PM

Even with ripping and compressing blu rays?
!