Video card shows in device mangager but does work

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepyha

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
i'm trying to add a second monitor to a computer. i tried installing a pcie 1x nvidia and all i got was post beeps. so out of curriosity i yanked the card thinking that the card itself was bad. i tried an old 16x card that installed witouth a problem. but that card only has one vga outut and the onboard video is disabled. so i popped in the 1x card again along with the 16x. surprisingly it installed without a problem.

it shows up in device manager as working properly but when i plug a monitor into it... nothing. what am i doing wrong??

Solution

Cool, let me know how it turns out.

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

I don't think this setup will work. Its strange how the first card you put in didn't work straight off. But when you have both of them in, I think, windows will be using the second card as a physics card rather than a display output hence why there was no output to the screen

The post beeps could have been that the card was not seated properly, as it will do this if the card is not all the way in.

What are the names of the cards that you have?

sleepyha

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

the 16x card is an old nvidia fx1300

the 1x is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500233

i'm positive the card was seating properly. and if this setup wont work.. what will???

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

Did you put the 1x card into the 16x slot? If it was in the 1x slot then i don't think it would have worked straight away.

Soo, try putting the 1x card in the 16x slot and see if that boots then add the 16x card in.

sleepyha

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

no. i put the the 1x in the 1x slot. didnt think of trying the 1x in the 16x slot. i'll give it a try.

sleepyha

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

what do you know the 1x card worked just fine in the 16x. dunno why it worked but it worked!! :D

i got it up and running. thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.