ASUS 6950 CUII HIGH temps.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hi all,

I'm running an ASUS Direct CUII 6950, with stock settings. I have a case with good airflow, and its f**king cold over here in germany right now. So considering the size and advertizedness of this cooler I thought it would have ok temps, but I run furmark for 30 seconds and the shaders hit 114 degrees. They idle at 72 degrees. Celsius. The memory and actual gpu temps look normal. ( But I am too afraid to wait for them to climb under furmark, as the shaders are well over 100.)

So whats going on here? Is it normal for shaders to be over 100? I didnt find much on the google so I assume not...

Thanks!

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well this is actually my 2nd card, the first one burned out in less than a week because its memory was at 100 degrees, but I've actually been playing with this card for a month and its not really showing any problems.

Do you know for a fact that shaders at 100 degrees is not normal?

100 degrees is not normal. I'm surprised your card isn't throttling at that temperature leading to reduced performance. Even if it works now, it will burn itself out very quickly. Return it for a replacement.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well I'm starting to think its a bad sensor. I just noticed that somtimes it idels at 36-40, and somtimes at 60-70. I ran Furmark for a longer time, and it eventually got up to 135 degrees, then just disapeered from Aida64, although I could still see the 135 on gpu-z.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Ok well I know this thread is practically dead, but if anyone cares heres what I did:
I went to the shop and told them the shaders were at 120 degrees but the card was working normally. He asked if it was shutting off, and I said no. He said "if the card gets too hot, it will shut off. The shaders are at a normal temp. We've had nvidia cards that have run with hotter shaders."