Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does the 500Watt power supply strong enough to power the computer

Last response: in Components
Share
July 19, 2012 12:44:22 PM

hello
recently i upgraded my graphics card from radeon hd 5450 to hd 6950
and my computer was working fine for 2days then i was playing a game and the computer went dead and it wont turn on only power on indicator flashes one time after discharging and turning back on the 500watt power suply can anyone please help me before i have to drag my pc to the nearest pc repairs thanks

cpu:AMD AthlonII x2 250 3Ghz
motherboard: Gygabyte GA880GM UD2H
2x 2 RAM
OS:Windows7 Ultimate 32bit
1TB samsung harddrive
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 19, 2012 1:07:33 PM

What is the make/mode of the PSU?
July 20, 2012 1:33:03 AM

If the PSU is a decent make/model a 550 watt would be enough as long as it has enough amps on the 12v rail(s).

check this out to see what wattage PSU you may been. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Don't go cheap on a PSU, even tho I had vary good luck with a few cheapo's I don't recommend it, get a Corsair/OCZ/ASUS/....ect.
Related resources
July 20, 2012 7:22:24 AM

Rugger said:
What is the make/mode of the PSU?

CIT Pentium p4 model500u ATX switching power suplly
July 20, 2012 7:31:39 AM

Viking2121 said:
There is your problem, the PSU is garbage as it is, with 34 amps on the 12v rail(s) the 6950 more then likely killed the PSU, Get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Certified-Compatible-Plat...

That 6950 needs juice!! Along with your other components.

thanks alot for your help
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 11:21:25 AM

One of the best deals that I've seen in the UK is the XFX Core 550W for under 50 quid with free shipping at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-P1-550S-XXB9-PRO550W-Editio... Made by Seasonic, 5yr warranty, great voltage regulation and low ripple/noise, and it's a quiet PSU. 'd go for it over the CX600 any day; it is a higher quality PSU with more power on the 12V rail.
July 20, 2012 11:34:17 AM

Rugger said:
One of the best deals that I've seen in the UK is the XFX Core 550W for under 50 quid with free shipping at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-P1-550S-XXB9-PRO550W-Editio... Made by Seasonic, 5yr warranty, great voltage regulation and low ripple/noise, and it's a quiet PSU. 'd go for it over the CX600 any day; it is a higher quality PSU with more power on the 12V rail.


im gonna look at the rewiews and see how many people recomend which power supply but thanks anyway you guys saved me and my pc from a rip off if you find any better offers let me know
a c 158 ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 12:25:12 PM

Use reviews from reputable review sites...Amazon reviews can be craptastic. Review of the XFX Core 550W by a top site: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
A couple of other great review sites are HardwareSecrets and Kitguru..Xbitlabs also does a good job.
July 20, 2012 12:41:06 PM

Rugger said:
Use reviews from reputable review sites...Amazon reviews can be craptastic. Review of the XFX Core 550W by a top site: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
A couple of other great review sites are HardwareSecrets and Kitguru..Xbitlabs also does a good job.

il do that thanks for letting me know
July 20, 2012 12:56:56 PM

the xfx 550watt core edition appears to be having very comments about it
July 20, 2012 6:40:10 PM

one more thing how do know wether its psu or not some other component causing this critical failure?
July 20, 2012 7:26:42 PM

Ah the UK, Im not to sure how the currency works out that way, xfx makes decent PSU's but they also have their bad 1's.

The critical failure your experiencing has to be the PSU, Your PSU that you were using is vary bad for the HD6950, the card needs amps and watts to run at its full potential, and your old PSU could probably deliver 400watts if that, It wouldn't even provide a full 550watt.

just make sure the PSU has enough amps and good reviews, but don't get a brand you never even herd of, you might regret it.

Amazon is pretty good, but watch he reviews on there tho, The seller sometimes begs you to take the negative feedback off, so it might be worse then what it really is.
July 20, 2012 9:13:26 PM

Viking2121 said:
Ah the UK, Im not to sure how the currency works out that way, xfx makes decent PSU's but they also have their bad 1's.

The critical failure your experiencing has to be the PSU, Your PSU that you were using is vary bad for the HD6950, the card needs amps and watts to run at its full potential, and your old PSU could probably deliver 400watts if that, It wouldn't even provide a full 550watt.

just make sure the PSU has enough amps and good reviews, but don't get a brand you never even herd of, you might regret it.

Amazon is pretty good, but watch he reviews on there tho, The seller sometimes begs you to take the negative feedback off, so it might be worse then what it really is.

allright il keep my eyes opend and see what i can find thanks again if il have any question il write you pm
!