Sign in with
Your question

Solid red CPU LED on motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2012 1:24:09 PM

My problem is that when i boot up my system it has a solid red cpu led. However my pc varies on what it does on boot, sometimes it wont start up and other times it will be able to boot into windows, but will later turn to black screen and no audio as the computer seems to shut itself off.

My specs are:
asus M5A99X EVO motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 CPU
OCZ 4096GB 1333MHz DDR3
405W Jeantech PSU
Nvidia GTS 450 1GB GDDR5 Palit

I have removed my CPU and checked that it is seated correctly and that it doesnt have any bent pins and it looks as good as it did when i first bought it, there also isnt any trace of thermal paste on the motherboard or CPU pins. My thoughts from the inconsistency of what my system does at boot is that the PSU might be causing the problem of my CPU. This system also isnt a very recent build, as i have been running it since the end of february, and it has only been having these problems recently.
a c 159 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 1:28:38 PM

Could be a board issue; I wouldn't touch any more components, especially the cpu. You may reseat all the power supply leads to the board and check the backplate area for loose connections or a crooked card or backplate. Hopefully it's something simple. I've never heard of your power supply brand, but it may be fine.
a c 116 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 1:46:20 PM

some will have a single led just to tell you theres power going through the board. but the correct explanation will be in the manual.
jeantech are a budget brand selling through the likes of pc world. they are at a similar quality as akasas so not great but not dire either at least not as far as i know. there best known for there fans and are branching out like akasas into psu's and cpu coolers. personally i wouldnt buy there gear as it doesnt really have a track record but you never know sometimes the new guy can surprise you, i just doubt it in this instance.
so my guess is its the psu being the root cause of your problems.
Related resources
July 19, 2012 1:49:57 PM

Well i have moved my pc into the room with the laptop which im using now, and it is being its fickle self again, as i have booted my pc and it is now appearing to work. Though it is likely to not last long and may eventually shut itself off, i will message back if it does. In the mean time is there anything you recommend i do while my pc is apparently in a working condition?
July 19, 2012 2:02:37 PM

My PC has now shut itself off, and reading the manual it states "If an error is found, the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the error is solved." While the CPU LED is a solid red the whole system is powered on and appears to still be running, so i would imagine that maybe the system is trying to fix an issue with the CPU. Also the PSU im using i have been using for 2 years, so maybe it is wearing down, and i have been thinking of investing in a corsair or OCZ gaming PSU.
!