Is my new cheap psu freezes my computer?

Prasad Rangana

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
My old 450w psu burned with a little explode and bought a new 400w psu,(it is said 400w but there is only 325w) and first 2 days it worked like a charm and I worked continuously more than 4 hours, and in the third day, it started, my computer freezes randomly, sometimes in the bios and in the grub boot menu (i use more than 1 os, ubuntu 10.10, 12.04, kubuntu 12.04, winXP, win7) and it stays still (not evading blank or shut down). I checked my bios, and found out that 3.3v is low and now it shows 2.96v. I checked this psu on another PC and the result was same. sometimes this pc works like there is no problem at all but some time it's a nightmare. is this because faulty PSU or motherboard/CPU problem? these are my specs

Intel pentium 4 HT 3.06 1mb LGA 533fsb
Asus p5pe-vm mobo
1GB ddr1 200mhz (512+512)
Asus nVidia geforce 6200 128mb AGP (currently using DVI port)
Hitachi 500GB sata HDD
LG Dvd ram
Mercury Combo (and have 3 additional fans to cool down)

Please help :sarcastic:

Prasad Rangana

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
mmm.. I should buy a new good PSU soon (cooler master for sure) but I want to make sure it, I have a 200w psu (actually a PSU of acer apire one t300 ) and can I try it on this? I think it's not enough with wattage, i'll only connect the MB. is it okay to do that? thanks for your reply, i'm new here and you replied me first!

If you go with Coolermaster, then stay away from the Extreme Power Plus line; the only PSUs that I would consider from CM are the Silent Pro PSUs.

As far as trying the system with the 200W PSU; I would try it without the graphics card and if it is stable ith it, then I might add the graphics card. The 6200 is not a power-hungry GPU.

Prasad Rangana

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I've tested them too, swapped ram, swapped vga, used on board VGA, but the problem exists, I couldn't check CPU cuz I haven't any LGA 775 cpus here and couldn't check my PC with another PSU cuz I only got 200W PSU and some said it's risky,

Okay Rugger, i'm gonna but gx 450w psu, thanks for your guidance.:)

I've seen Dell GX280 SFF system's, with the same specs as your system, run for 7-8 years with the thier little 180 watt psu, it's not that risky

Prasad Rangana

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Bros,I think I found a suspect!, I am running my computer using ubuntu 12.04 live version right now without connecting the hard disk and now the system runs fine!, It's a sata HDD, is this the same power supply problem? is it risky to continue working like this? or is the HDD malfunctioning? it's only one year old! thanks