Followup On Canon Repair Service

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 15, 2005 11:26:17 PM

In a previous post, I talked about how Canon was nice enough to
repair the cracked LCD on my son's SD-200 at no charge. However,
when they returned it, the case had been poorly reassembled and
was dented in several places...plus the camera didn't work. I
returned it to them again. They made the repairs and FedExed it
back to me. Upon opening the box, I was shocked to see that starting
at the edge of the LCD screen, the entire camera case was bent
about 10 degrees, plus the battery/SD card cover was broken and in
several pieces. I couldn't even slip the battery in because the
case is bent so badly. There was no damage to the shipping container,
nor had it been opened and repackaged enroute. I talked with the
manager of the Canon Repair Service facility, and he was dumbfounded.
He was very sympathetic and helpful, and he asked me to return the
camera to his attention. It appears that the camera was properly fixed
and inspected, but somewhere between the repair job and the shipping
container, the camera was deliberately mangled--by someone. I believe
Canon when they say they are as mystified as I am. I'm not angry
at them. They've been very nice about returning it for repairs.
Has anyone had anything like this happen to them--twice?

Thanks!
Scott
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:09:48 AM

Sounds like they outsourced it to Baghdad. Appalling. I guess you get
what you pay for.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:10:46 PM

What are your ideas about the best repair shop(s) for Canon A10 and A70
repairs? Canon factory repairs are very expensive as quoted via the Canon
dealer.
June 24, 2005 3:20:01 AM

Scott wrote:

> In a previous post, I talked about how Canon was nice enough to
> repair the cracked LCD on my son's SD-200 at no charge. However,
> when they returned it, the case had been poorly reassembled and
> was dented in several places...plus the camera didn't work. I
> returned it to them again. They made the repairs and FedExed it
> back to me. Upon opening the box, I was shocked to see that starting
> at the edge of the LCD screen, the entire camera case was bent
> about 10 degrees, plus the battery/SD card cover was broken and in
> several pieces. I couldn't even slip the battery in because the
> case is bent so badly. There was no damage to the shipping container,
> nor had it been opened and repackaged enroute. I talked with the
> manager of the Canon Repair Service facility, and he was dumbfounded.
> He was very sympathetic and helpful, and he asked me to return the
> camera to his attention. It appears that the camera was properly fixed
> and inspected, but somewhere between the repair job and the shipping
> container, the camera was deliberately mangled--by someone. I believe
> Canon when they say they are as mystified as I am. I'm not angry
> at them. They've been very nice about returning it for repairs.
> Has anyone had anything like this happen to them--twice?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Good news! I got a call yesterday from the Facility Manager at the Canon
Service Center in Illinois. He said they had completely rebuilt my camera
and restored it to a "like new" condition. Also, he personally watched as
the shipping department put the camera into the box and sealed it for
shipment. Today, I got the camera via Fedex overnight, and it arrived in
perfect condition. It looks brand new, and it works flawlessly. So,
whatever the problem was on their end, they rose to the challenge...and got
it right. So now I am a 100% satisfied customer.

Scott
!