How does this look?

hintonw22

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I was just wondering how this build looked. First time builder on a pretty tight budget I think I have everything I need.

CPU: Intel 15-2500k 3.3HHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM 6.0Gb/s
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5"
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Cooler Master 700W ATX12V
Optical: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64- bit)

I would appreciate any feed back that anyone had.

It comes out to be around $995 on PCPartPicker.com

Also I wasnt sure about getting Windows 7 home or if I should get Professional or Ultimate and if getting SP1 was the right thing.

Thanks!

THe RAM needs to be 1.5 volt or less

The rosewill challenger case is a pretty horrible . It got an award from tomshardware for being CHEAP . They wished they could have afforded an Antec 300 .
Personally I'd get an Antec 300 two since your mb probably has internal USB 3 headers

You need a 500 watt psu for that build . Make sure its 80+ bronze rated .

In general the Radeon 6870 is faster than the GTX 560 .
You would still only need a 500 watt psu

And you could save masses of money by dropping the SSD to a 40 gig cache drive , or you could spend the money you save getting a better graphics card like the Radeon 7850

hintonw22

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Can i ask why the RAM needs to be 1.5V?

Also I chose the SSD so that I can install my OS on it and use the Intel Z68 Smart response technology.

Also I have heard from a few different places I should play it safe and get a higher watt PSU in case i upgrade.

If anyone knows about which version of windows 7 i should get let me know please cause i really have no idea..

RAM for these processors needs to be 1.5 volt or less because the current in the RAM is also in the memory controller in the CPU . The CPU cant handle much more than 1.5 volts before it fries . Intel wont honor your warranty if you are above 1.5 volts .

Either use the SSD you have as a boot drive to install windows and programs OR use a SSD up to 64 gig in size for smart response . You cant use bigger than 64 gig for smart response caching, and more than 40 gig is probably not needed .

Many people think a bigger PSU is a good ideal . Most seem to think 1000 watts is automatically better than 500 watts . Often it justs cost more and runs less efficiently . Get an appropriate size 80+ bronze rated [ or better] unit from a decent manufacturer . Some of CM's psu's are junk. A small red voltage switch on the back is a sure sign its a turkey . Buy carefully
In general though each generation of computers has used LESS power than the one b4