The Xbox 720 will use the Radeon HD 6670 card !

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameem 1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
the next gen gaming console "Xbox 720" will use the HD 6670 graphic card and will deliver "six" times the graphics power of the xbox 360 ? how is that possible ?
i mean the xbox 360 which uses the low end X1900 card is beating up PCs with high end gtx 460 . . and the next xbox will be six times more powerful . . and will beat up a high end sandy bridge PC with a high end 6970 card . .
so Whats the secret ?

source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-25-next-xbox-gpu-based-on-50-radeon-hd-6670-card-report

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can't directly compare the graphics prowess of a gaming console with a PC. With a PC, there is a great deal of overhead associated with the "open environment" applications, varoius hardware components, etc.

A console has a VERY closed environment and can dedicate resources that a PC must share.

Don't worry, whatever MS uses in the Xbox 720 will be several times better than what they have now.

general199

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
No no, you've got it all wrong. It just performs better than the old xbox x6, which is sad because the 6670 is well lol. Its a well know fact consoles will NEVER be able to keep up with computers, even a mainstream one with like a 560ti.

hameem 1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
there most be some thing that gaming console makers use to enhance the performance !!
it can't be a very weak xbox 360 can run crysis 2 at 60fps with NO lag
the consoles makers are keeping these secret hardware only for them to make more money . . and companies like Nvidia and AMD take advantage of PC games to sell them more and more expensive cards while still seeking for more

and how it could be no such FPS drop in the consoles ?
i have saw a video on you tube of some one calculating the FPS of the PS3 while playing just cause 2 on the PS3 with on screen FPS icon . . IT NEVER DROP BELOW 60fps !!
while WE.. the PC gamers have to meat the recommended system requirements and more to get a decent lagg XD

cbrunnem

Distinguished

well consoles dont run high graphics settings

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
The secret is optimization. Console games are optimized for 1 set of hardware, they don't have to cater to 2 brands of GPU's with VAST processing power differences. I mean, PS3 has pretty darn good graphics and only has 24 pixel shaders. If you tried running BF3 on a PC with a card that has 24 Pixel Shaders the game would laugh at you. And the PS3 version of BF3 looks pretty good, I have it.

And while console games can stay at 60 FPS the whole time, its really "60 FPS". I mean, PS3 MW3 runs at 60 FPS but has a lot of screen tearing to get that. Plus Infinity Ward and Treyarch are too lazy to learn how to code for the PS3 Cell so the PS3 copy sucks.

The 6670 will be a great console card. GDDR5 when both the PS3 and 360 use GDDR3, and will have more RAM (PS3 and 360 have 512MB total between main RAM and VRAM). Plus 480 Stream Processors when the 360 has 48.

hameem 1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

if what you are saying is right, why AMD and Nvidia doesn't cooperate with game engine makers to optimize the game engines to there card and CPUs . . .
- another thing : if game developers copy the same Xbox version of BF3 to the PC with a little "Microsoft windows" optimization it will run as it dose at the xbox if you are right
because the PC "a decent PC with like 2.4ghz CPU and a GT 9800" will run the game maxed out becuse that PC has the same hardware and more

xboxram 512MB > pc 4G
xbox GPU 256MB > PC 512 . . etc

but i dob't think you are right . . it most be a missing element !

COLGeek

Cybernaut

There is no secret ingredient (hardware). The hardware and software environment is so controlled that developers can optimize their products on a far greater scale than you ever could on a PC. PCs have a near infinite number of hardware combinations of components. With game consoles, the baseline variation is minimal. This makes a HUGE difference.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Nope. Its called Optimization. When developing for PS3, devs can look and say: "Alright, we have 256MB of XDR RAMBUS, 256 MB of GDDR3, we have to get it to run on the RSX and Cell, and that's it." PC devs have to run on DDR2, DDR3, GDDR3, GDDR5, cards with 80 shaders to 1200 shaders, 8 ROP's to 50, AMD architecture (weak, but plentiful shaders) AND Nvidia architecture (fewer but more powerful shaders) and have to support DirectX 9c, 10, and 11 (or newer games only 10 and 11, but then you alienate Win XP holdouts). Its not just "Microsoft Windows" optimization. And the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't run a full OS with background tasks while playing a game, so they don't need as much RAM.

And next time you play a 360 or PS3 game, look closely at the textures. A lot of pop-in, low quality MSAA and Anisotropic Filtering, and low resolution textures that pop into high res texture only when you are standing 10 feet in view of them. That's how they get BF3 to run on 24 pipelines and 8 ROP's, a lot of "trickery" being played.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Its greatly optimized. 8 ROP's, 48 pixel shaders, and 512MB of Shared RAM on the Xbox 360. The fact that it can hit 60FPS @600p even is incredible.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
you don't know? A company by the name of NOS, which is very well known in the drag racing industry has developed a thermal paste that when applied to the components of game consoles drastically increases its components through-put.

Using NOS in a personal computer wouldn't do well, because you can change everything out.

well I guess so but I doubt they can make a 6670 even run as well as a 7970 today with the optimizations let alone a year from now when the 680 is already out.

the textures are cut down to save vram, the game also cuts all performance settings from the game to save ram, the models are all low and the shader performance would be medium. Physics on low and draw distance on low.

Im pretty sure you can run an 360 game on pc with 2x the power of the 360 as well as the 360. So with 2x the performance of the 6670, you are looking at a 6790 being able to play all the games next gen at performance levels of the xbox, which is kinda pathetic.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

No kidding!. I read a good article in the February 2012 issue of MaximumPC that talked about this issue using batman arkham asylum as an example. The consoles are running low/med graphic settings in 720 at typically 30FPS with no physics, AA or any other fancy feature that PC's have. BF3 for example was limited to 32 player max since the console could not handle any more. So all the smooth edges, fancy smoke and flying shattered glass and other goodies are not present in consoles. I kind of like the ability to shoot a potted plant off of some random window ledge that has nothing to do with the games mission and have it shatter into a mass of clay and dirt. Things like this are not possible on a console. I was at a friend of my wifes house the other day and her grown up son was playing CODMW3 on the 360 and was going on about how realistic the graphics were. I had to contain my laughter since he was only a teenager. Have you compared any of these games from a console to the PC version running 1080 in ultra? There is absolutely no comparison. Period.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Exactly!!!

Comparing consoles to personal computers is like comparing apples to oranges. there is no comparison... consoles fail miserably against a well built desktop. PERIOD

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

I already explained the pop in and low res textures. Thing is, console game developers are REALLY good at using tricks to make it look good, that's how you get decent looking games on $250 hardware.

And lol @ guy saying MW3 looks realistic. I have the PS3 version, looks like garbage.

Im just saying the 6670 is much too weak to be the gpu in the next xbox. with the 360, they put in a gpu as with as much power as a enthusiast at launch.

The new xbox should at least have a 6850 or 7850 equivalent since its launching in 2013.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

the 6670 isnt that weak for console gaming... console gaming in general is a weak platform... it would suit it just fine.

the 6670 is weak when you consider the fact the 360 launched with a 2600 level gpu when that was mid range.

the 6670 is a low range gpu more than 12 month before the next xbox comes out.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

360 and PS3 are limited more by bandwidth and total memory than GPU power right now. The 6670 with 128-bit GDDR5 would be perfect and cost effective. Although one thing to keep in mind is Microsoft's shift to more Kinect based casual games instead of hardcore gaming. Sony will probably use a GTX 570 or something and end up being an expensive, but capable system.

I don't like the shift towards weaker and casual systems. It just means console ports are gonna be even less stressing and be bad on the PC industry.

I doubt the ps4 will live if the nextbox and Wii U will both be much cheaper and arround the same performance hardware. Developers are gonna want to develop for those consoles and the ps4 hardware would be a waste for such a premium.

I'd rather 2 systems be strong and have decent graphical enhancements than 2 system being weaker and have a third wheel trying to push for more graphics performance.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Unfortunately, Microsoft took notice when the top selling console this gen had 4 pixel pipelines and a single core CPU running less than 1Ghz. The whole gaming industry is going to be taking a step sideways.

the wii sales are down across the board while the 360 sales are picking up, in north america at least. Microsoft should see this. if the next gen is 2 wii like consoles, then the gaming pc industry is kinda getting screwed.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Well they aren't going to make hardware as weak as the Wii was comparatively, but I don't think you are gonna see a console that has $1000 of hardware in it like PS3 had at launch (although Blu Ray was ludicrously expensive then and PS3 was still the cheapest Blu Ray player back then which is the reason PS3 survived)

Status
Not open for further replies.