Sign in with
Your question

$1600 first build, how did I do?

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2012 7:23:12 AM

After weeks of reading reviews, getting some help on multiple forums, and some bargain hunting, this is what I finally ended up ordering through newegg. Opinions ?

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
2x Antec 761345-75026-4 120mm Red LED Case Fan
Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC 7mm Internal Solid State Drive
EVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Logitech Optical USB Mouse B100 (910-001439) Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse - OEM
ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
LITE-ON SK-1688U/B Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard
XTRAC PADS Ripper Optical Mouse pad
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W
Corsair Carbide 400r
Rosewill 10ft. USB2.0 A Male to B Male Cable, Black, Model RCW-101RT(free with purchase)
G.SKILL 4GB Micro SDHC Flash Card w/ SD Adapter Model FF-TSDG4GA-C4(free with purchase)
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB Connector Circumaural Stereo Headset(free with purchase)

More about : 1600 build

April 6, 2012 7:30:31 AM

Great build!
m
l
April 6, 2012 7:42:40 AM

Why did you get an after market cooler for a locked cpu ? Should of had gone with the core i5 2500k

Western Digital Caviar Blue (6 gbps? WTF?) Has horrible reviews on newegg. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB. Has better a whole lot better rating. Does same thing.

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W ? Shoulda gotten a SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W (it's almost fully modular) . Seasonic is one of the best psu manufacturer in the market.

m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2012 7:43:53 AM

Solid build.

If your primary purpose is gaming, You should be aware you have far more processor power than graphics power. At least you have a second pci-e x16 slot for a 2nd 560 ti down the road. that would be closer to balanced, but I think even that system would be graphics bottlenecked.

Keep in mind, I'm only speaking from an optimal part performance point of view - your video card(s) and processor topping out at about the same time, neither hampering one another.

Your build as is (and esp. with a 2nd 560 Ti later) will handle most games @1920 with near-max settings.
m
l
April 6, 2012 7:45:49 AM

Plasmid said:
Why did you get an after market cooler for a locked cpu ? Should of had gone with the core i5 2500k

Western Digital Caviar Blue (6 gbps? WTF?) Has horrible reviews on newegg. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB. Has better a whole lot better rating. Does same thing.

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W ? Shoulda gotten a SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W (it's almost fully modular) . Seasonic is one of the best psu manufacturer in the market.

Even without overclocking, the 212 will keep the CPU cooler at lower noise levels than the stock cooler.

Also, the 2500, like most locked processors, is only multiplier locked. While you can't usually hit 2500k overclock speeds, you can still tweak the 2500 via the fsb.

I do agree with you though. OP may as well get the 2500k :) 

As far as hdd, maybe he was going with the blue to stay in budget. There's nothing wrong with the blue. Every HDD manufacturer has at least 3 tiers of hdd manufactured to varying tolerances. the higher tiers usu. coming with a larger cache. WD's primary consumer level drives (black, blue, green) aren't any different. Having gone through hundreds of consumer level hdd's, the failures are almost completely random. besides ultra cheap hard drives, no hard drive is more likely to fail than any other.

You'll get a slight performance boost going with the black, but you'd be better off saving that money and putting it towards an SSD.

My 4 month old WD black is actually failing on me right now, so don't pay too much attention to newegg's rating there. >.<

Modular psu's are nice, but unnecessary for anything but a slight improvement in airflow if you don't have a place to tie down cables in your case. The most important factor in buying a PSU is the 12V output. If the total 12V output stated on the PSU is higher than the suggested minimum of the card, then that PSU can fully supply the card.
m
l
April 6, 2012 8:07:56 AM

quilciri said:
Even without overclocking, the 212 will keep the CPU cooler at lower noise levels than the stock cooler.

Also, the 2500, like most locked processors, is only multiplier locked. While you can't usually hit 2500k overclock speeds, you can still tweak the 2500 via the fsb.

I do agree with you though. OP may as well get the 2500k :) 

As far as hdd, maybe he was going with the blue to stay in budget. There's nothing wrong with the blue. Every HDD manufacturer has at least 3 tiers of hdd manufactured to varying tolerances. the higher tiers usu. coming with a larger cache. WD's primary consumer level drives (black, blue, green) aren't any different. My 4 month old WD black is actually failing on me right now, so don't pay too much attention to newegg's rating there.

Modular psu's are nice, but unnecessary for anything but a slight improvement in airflow if you don't have a place to tie down cables in your case. The mostimportant factor in buying a PSU is the 12V output. If the total 12V output stated on the PSU is higher than the suggested minimum of the card, then that PSU can fully supply the card.

there was actually a fair amount of good reviews on that PSU, i should be able to SLI 2 560 ti 448 with it right ??? also, just ordered the i5 2500k, going to return the 2500 for the full refund, didnt realize there was that much of a difference between the two...also am i going to be able to bottom mount that PSU in my corsair carbide 400r case??(i'm a tard and probably should have thought about that before being hasty with the good deal) :( 
m
l
April 6, 2012 8:24:25 AM

That PSU is fine for a pair of 560 Ti's.

With the CPU specific part of overclocking, multiplier unlocked processors usually achieve the best results. Voltage notwithstanding, changing the multiplier and the fsb are the only two ways to overclock a processor, and are used in tandem. Intel uses "k" to designate it's multiplier unlocked I-series processors.
m
l
April 6, 2012 8:29:29 AM

quilciri said:
That PSU is fine for a pair of 560 Ti's.

With the CPU specific part of overclocking, multiplier unlocked processors usually achieve the best results. Voltage notwithstanding, changing the multiplier and the fsb are the only two ways to overclock a processor, and are used in tandem. Intel uses "k" to designate it's multiplier unlocked I-series processors.

ok, ty for the info. just glad newegg is good with returns. i'm not even really sure how to OC my processor, but when i find out at least now i know i'll be able to !
m
l
April 6, 2012 8:55:37 AM

hellfire24 said:
what's your max budget?please fill this form-
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

well, everything is already ordered, i THINK i did good on the build...almost everything i purchased on newegg was either on sale or had a promo code... just gonna have to put it together(with the help of someone who actually knows what they're doing) and hope for the best now
m
l
!