Shader Model 3

IDK anything

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I downloaded a game on Steam, and when it was all ready I clicked play. Instead of going to the game, I get a message saying this:
Your video card must support at least Shader Model 3. Installer will now exit.
After that, nothing happens and it exits out.

I had no idea what this meant, so I googled a few things about it. Apparently, Shader Model 3 is something to do with my graphics card and DirectX. All the sources I saw said that the earliest DirectX model that had Shader Model 3 was 9.0c. I did a quick check on what version I had, and it says I have DirectX 11 and Shader model 5.

My GFX card is Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family. The Chip type is Intel(R) GMA 3100. (I have no idea what that means)

Any ideas on why I can't play it? If you need more info on my graphics card, let me know and i'll see what I can do.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 217926

You do not have a graphics card you have integrated graphics. The GMA 3100 does not have shader model 3. Shader model 3 is a hardware feature so you would need to buy and install a discrete graphics card to play this game.

D

Deleted member 217926

You need to post your complete system specs including power supply, the game you are trying to play, the resolution you are playing at and a budget. A discrete graphics card can be priced anywhere between $30 and $700. Obviously performance depends on budget.