Sign in with
Your question

[HELP] Power Supply 24 Pin connector to Motherboard will not budge

Last response: in Components
July 19, 2012 4:03:30 PM

Hey everyone, so I'm new to the forums at tom's hardware but not new to forums in general. Today I'd like to ask you guys a problem that I'm having when trying to replace my generic 500w power supply with an Antec HCG 520M (Modular).

So just a few ten minutes ago, I was disconnecting the connectors between my old generic ATX 500W PSU with seemingly no brand name and my MSI G31TM-P21 (MS-7529) Socket LGA775 motherboard. All the connectors seemed to remove fine until I got up to the motherboard with the 24 pin connector.

When I press onto the latch of the connector and try to pull it out gently, it would not budge. I tried applying more force to the latch and more force when pulling it out. Again it would not budge. The third time I tried even more force when pulling and it moved only about one millimetre or so, which caused the latch to be only stuck in the unhooked position.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I searched around online and the connector is supposed to come off easily, whereas some people with similar problems said that the pins could have been very hot and melted the plastic or something?

Any ideas and solutions?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 4:15:02 PM

I have had a few PSU's that have done this to me, wiggle it back and forth in both directions but make sure you are not flexing the motherboard much.

This s not has bad as the GPU that was stuck in the pcie slot (the clip was undone), had to take a rubber mallet to it
July 19, 2012 4:58:00 PM

Are you sure that wiggling it will not break anything? Just want to make sure.

Thanks for the reply by the way.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 5:12:00 PM

You shouldn't break anything unless you apply a lot of force to the board, just take your time and get it out little by little
March 5, 2014 2:46:35 PM

This problem is occurring for me also.
Anonymous
March 5, 2014 3:39:42 PM

when you wiggle it, hold down the board and 24 pin socket... (to take the force off of it)

I had this issue once...took a while...

it worst comes to worst you could break the psu's plug...
!