Sign in with
Your question

PSU Cant fit?!?!?! (URGENT!!)

Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2012 5:01:12 PM

Sorry i need this really urgent help! I have like 1 day to decide whether to try to send it back!

So basically my old PSU in my HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower is fitted fine but i bought a £55 FATAL1TY PSU and it fits in the case but not in the like chassis (if thats right word)

Here are pics with some info!

This is current PSU (fits fine)

This is the part where it doesnt fit, it doesnt lock into this part (but fits the case as a whole)

This is the fatal1ty (new psu) failing to fit.. But can as you see fit in the 'Case' not the slot thing

This is showing it is small enough height to fit in the case (not a great pic)

So basically i was asking if there is a way i can make it fit? Do i even need it to fit in this part? can i hang loose? Do i need a new case?

More about : psu fit urgent

a b à CPUs
July 19, 2012 5:11:31 PM

Your best bet would be to buy a new case. Most PC vendors sell specialty parts with their PCs so that you can't upgrade with anything but their parts. You'd best check to see if the mobo has a standard ATX layout as well, to be sure the screws would line up with a different case.
July 19, 2012 5:16:42 PM

trapper said:
Your best bet would be to buy a new case. Most PC vendors sell specialty parts with their PCs so that you can't upgrade with anything but their parts. You'd best check to see if the mobo has a standard ATX layout as well, to be sure the screws would line up with a different case.

*** sake -.- can i put all the hardware from this one into it??!
Related resources
July 19, 2012 5:24:00 PM

If you can get at least on screw into each side of the PSU that should hold it fine. With the extra space it might create minor air flow issues.
July 19, 2012 5:40:20 PM

Jim_L9 said:
If you can get at least on screw into each side of the PSU that should hold it fine. With the extra space it might create minor air flow issues.

hmm.. i see.. what will these issues do? Will the be fatal to my hardware??
a c 283 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 7:41:48 PM

jdlivegamers said:
hmm.. i see.. what will these issues do? Will the be fatal to my hardware??

No, it won't be fatal, or even harmful at all, really.

It just keeps the case from being totally sealed in a place where it should be, so air has a place to escape and cause some turbulence, possibly causing slightly higher temps.
July 19, 2012 8:27:08 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
No, it won't be fatal, or even harmful at all, really.

It just keeps the case from being totally sealed in a place where it should be, so air has a place to escape and cause some turbulence, possibly causing slightly higher temps.

hmm i see, so your saying i should try to screw whatevr i can and just let it loose otherwise?
a c 283 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 8:28:49 PM

jdlivegamers said:
hmm i see, so your saying i should try to screw whatevr i can and just let it loose otherwise?

Pretty much. As long as it's stable enough and held in tightly enough to not fall out, it's good.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2012 9:02:19 PM

As long as you can get 2 screws in you should be fine. The biggest problem with fitting the mainboard into a new case would be the IO plate on most OEM case do not remove so even if you could get the mainboard to fit into a case you would not have an IO plate.
July 19, 2012 9:17:20 PM

bryonhowley said:
As long as you can get 2 screws in you should be fine. The biggest problem with fitting the mainboard into a new case would be the IO plate on most OEM case do not remove so even if you could get the mainboard to fit into a case you would not have an IO plate.

dont no what a IO or OEM is sorry :(  lol
July 19, 2012 9:49:19 PM

jdlivegamers said:
dont no what a IO or OEM is sorry :(  lol

IO = Input/Output

IO plate is the rectangular plate with holes in it to cover the area with all the sockets and jacks on the rear of the board

And

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
July 19, 2012 11:31:38 PM

That's a bit of an odd one, first time I recall seeing an OEM like HP actually having a larger than normal power supply. I've seen it the other way round where the OEM power supply has a bracket bolted to the back.

Depending on you are at DIY, it might not be difficult to make a plate to bridge the gaps. A great suggestion, but if you are anything like me...lol

Edit...Hmm, looking at the pics again, is looking a bit tricky:( 
!