Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help Please: 200-250$ limit, piecemeal computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 6, 2012 10:35:45 AM

Hi there. I recently replaced the video card in my HP Pavillion 2007 (I know, I know) about a year ago with a cheap one which I knew I'd have to replace. I'm not a very wealthy person, and I just can't afford to spend a thousand dollars, or even 5-600 dollars at a time on a computer. The HP was really expensive, and I was a big rookie at the time and never knew I could build my own computer. Anyway, I've learned now, and basically I'm trying to get started.

I have about 200-250 dollars, but I'd like to try and keep it near 200 more. 250 is the limit. Period. Suggesting I get something more expensive is just pointless; I just can't afford it at the moment.

My situation is somewhat urgent as well; my video card fan is messed up and the card gets quite hot without a huge room fan on it while gaming. It's not dangerously hot, but it does burn up a lot of extra electricity to run the fan.

So: My computer:

2007 model HP Pavillion

Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
No-name 300w power supply (TOP MOUNTED)
HP Pavillion computer case
ASUS no-name motherboard for HP Pavillion brand, 1 PCI-E 2.0 slot, 4 DDR2 ram slots. Motherboard has a 4 pin ATX (the square one I think) power cord as well.
4GB DDR2 Ram

Basically, it's a $#!t computer. I know that. It's held together by duct tape and a prayer at this point. I don't have a lot of money to go out and replace a whole computer with a gaming rig, nor do I want to blow 3-400 bucks on a crap computer that doesn't do what I need but "works". Essentially, for what I need it for, the CPU is fine. I've not even come close to maxing it out. As well, the Hard Drive and DVD drive do not need replacing either. I can transfer them to the new computer. What I need to replace are the following:

-Graphics Card
-Power Supply

I'm worried that my crappy motherboard won't be compatible with the card or the power supply unit I buy. I can't check because there's no bloody stats on my motherboard; it's no-name. To make matters worse, my case only has a top-mount for a power supply unit. I also don't know how big the mount is, so I have no idea how to check to see if the PSU will mount safely in my case. As well, I can't replace the case because of the motherboard and costs. It's possible I can, but I don't know anything about this MoBo.

Basically I'm going to be replacing everything, but for now I can only replace the card and PSU. I need to get this computer working. Heck, even if it means having the PSU out of the case until I buy a new one, I'll do it.

I was looking at this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I'm leaning to the second power supply at the moment.

I need some serious help, guys. I'd like to be able to order my card and PSU and think to myself that I know it's going to work when it gets here. Thank you so much.

More about : 200 250 limit piecemeal computer

April 6, 2012 11:49:32 AM

I'd go with this PSU (out of the two):
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
It offers more amps per rail.
That, with the 7770, max's your budget though.
If it's not vital to replace your PSU right now I'd save for something like this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
which, for whatever reason, is about $30.00 higher than here in the US. This PSU would fit in nicely in any new future build you'd do. The one you picked, while a good name, may limit how far you can go with a future build (without replacing it). Hope this helps you some.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 11:52:43 AM

Chaz21 said:
I'd go with this PSU (out of the two):
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
It offers more amps per rail.
That, with the 7770, max's your budget though.
If it's not vital to replace your PSU right now I'd save for something like this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
which, for whatever reason, is about $30.00 higher than here in the US. This PSU would fit in nicely in any new future build you'd do. The one you picked, while a good name, may limit how far you can go with a future build (without replacing it). Hope this helps you some.

Thank you. I'm short on money now, but I will be able to afford to replace a PSU in the future as well as upgrade everything else.

I still have the concern of if that PSU will mount in my case though. Do PSUs all fit in the same mounting space? How can I check? What about Top-mounted cases?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 6, 2012 12:06:39 PM

Power supplies are usually built to a "standard". Top or bottom shouldn't matter either. If you have the exact model number of your HP I might be able to find you some more info.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 1:12:22 PM

Chaz21 said:
Power supplies are usually built to a "standard". Top or bottom shouldn't matter either. If you have the exact model number of your HP I might be able to find you some more info.


I'm fairly sure it's an HP Pavillion a6700z or similar.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 1:32:10 PM

barnaclesgarona said:
I'm fairly sure it's an HP Pavillion a6700z or similar.

I believe that your replacement PSU would fit. Follow this link and download the PDF manual on Upgrading/Servicing if you don't have it yet (get any other manuals/info you might need or don't have yet).
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us...
This might help you.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 3:22:34 PM

It is not a bad computer, though obviously your video card is having problems.

What video card do you have?

If you don't know just open the device manager and it will tell you.

Since you said you were learning, you can google device manager and your operating system to find out how to get there.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 4:06:30 PM

Questions

1. Does your power supply have a 20pin or 24pin mobo connector
2. Are you open to the idea of a new mobo/processor/ram.




G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT
Item #: N82E16820231424
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$37.99


BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813138332
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$54.99


Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120
Item #: N82E16819115077
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$127.99
Subtotal: $220.97


Theres a $15 off code in there. That would set you up very nicely, and then you can save up for a graphics card. I think trying to patch up an old computer is a bad idea. Start a base for one you can upgrade then work your way up. You might could even drop to 4g of ram and pickup an asus motherboard, or an msi that holds 4 sticks of ram.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 8:55:03 PM

dkcomputer said:
Questions

1. Does your power supply have a 20pin or 24pin mobo connector
2. Are you open to the idea of a new mobo/processor/ram.




G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT
Item #: N82E16820231424
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$37.99


BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813138332
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$54.99


Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120
Item #: N82E16819115077
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$127.99
Subtotal: $220.97


Theres a $15 off code in there. That would set you up very nicely, and then you can save up for a graphics card. I think trying to patch up an old computer is a bad idea. Start a base for one you can upgrade then work your way up. You might could even drop to 4g of ram and pickup an asus motherboard, or an msi that holds 4 sticks of ram.


Ordinarily if my video card wasn't on it's way out, I'd prefer to do this because the case I have is only medium, and the processor and mobo are small and have no expansion slots really.

Those parts you linked however might be cheap enough for me to wait a few months to buy though.
m
0
l
!