First Build Success! Load Operating System: Failed

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hey all, so I finally built my first computer got my post beep and i was excited. All with the help of you guys whenever I had kinks and got stuck. Always great responses from you guys so I'm back.

Now, of all things I cannot seem to get my operating system loaded onto my PC. I set my boot priority to CD-ROM and I have my Windows CD in the drive. When windows loads and I click install, there is no partition to install to. It doesn't even recognize my Hard drive I guess. It has a message at the bottom that says:

"No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation"

Now, I have re-seated the power and data cables multiple times. I even switched the data cable out with another brand new one and none of this has worked. I can also hear the Hard drive working when I power on the computer so I guess it is working.

So do I need to load a driver to get Windows to recognize my hard drive? Do I need to change a setting in BIOS? I have never done this before and am lost. Any other times I've loaded windows the partition was just there. Here is my system spec...

MB - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 am3+ board
CPU - AMD FX 8-core 3.1 ghz Zambezi Black edition
PSU - Corsair TX850M 850 watt
Vid Card: AMD/Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, 3gb
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 2x 4gb ddr3 dual channel.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Really sucks to be stuck on this last step.

Solution
G

IDE is default and doesn't need any drivers. the AHCI mode with hot swapping and NCQ needs drivers for windows to access and install on a hard drive. those drivers are usually on the disk that came with the motherboard. i use AHCI but install IDE. its just a small edit in the registry, a change in the bios and then boot into windows after installation. but i digress.

too bad you got one of the 2.8% of WD HDs that are doa :(
G

do you have the HD as IDE or AHCI in the bios?
if it is AHCI you need to put the drivers from the motherboard disk onto a usb and then tell windows where the drivers are to install.

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
I looked in the Bios, it was set to Native IDE. I did see the option for AHCI and I was wondering if I had to change it to that.

But no, it was all set on default IDE. I would prefer this too if it's the easiest way but even with this setting my HDD is still not showing up :(

Also I said I could hear the Hard Drive working when I booted the PC. Now if the Hard drive was bad would it make those sounds still? Would the PC still boot up? I'm wondering now if I just got a bad drive.

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Well I went into BIOS and in the area where it has Master/Slave drivers etc. there was an option to auto detect HDD and I selected it, it searched for hard drives and came back with nothing.

So no it doesn't look like my BIOS is even recognizing it.

G

unfortunately it seems the HD is DOA.

there is an outside chance that updating the bios would help if the one you have is flonky but, it is a long shot. use the F5 version don't try the "beta" one for your board.

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
It's a Sata Hard Drive. I will try that as a last resort by putting it in the number 1 slot. There is 6 on my MB and I switched it around a few times but not completely sure if I put it in the 1 slot.

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Ok then nevermind, when I go to Boot Priority, it does have HDD as an option. I'm sorry I thought it was when one section fo BIOS did a search for it. But yes, it does let me select it as a boot dvice.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

It's the one closest to the bottom of your mobo you want the top jack.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

If you select it as the boot device and have no OS installed it won't boot. Make your CD/DVD your first boot device and your HDD your second.

G

then you ought to be able to install the OS on it. . .weird.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
If you remove your HDD you would still see it listed in the choices for "boot device". Being on that list means nothing in terms of actually using it. Go through the list and you'll see other items that you probably don't have connected. It needs to be recognized by the bios on your main screen where it will tell you the HDD's specs (size,etc). If it's not listed there then it's either faulty or connected wrong.

G

ok, you have me confused, how is a bios going to "see" a device that isn't connected? :heink:

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
You're right, I unplugged it and it still showed HDD on the list of boot priority devices. BUT nowhere in my BIOS does it show the size/specs etc. So do you think that means it is faulty?

One other thing, I have two cables connected to my hard drive. The Sata data cable that goes from hard drive to the Sata Controller on my Motherboard... i've re-seated it many times. Then the other is the power connector that comes from my power supply.

Now there is one other port on the hard drive, a little eight pin port.... is there sometjhing that plugs in there>?

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

It doesn't see it. The mobo and or Bios mfg have no idea what the buyer is going to use to boot with so they offer a few options - expecting the owner to pick one. Some bios' will offer HDD-0, HDD-1, CD, USB, etc. Under normal situations you have the option to make a 1st boot choice - 2nd boot choice -etc. It will attempt to boot from choice 1 first and if it can't it trys choice 2 etc.

G

ok. i understand what you mean, thanks for explaining it.

twinturbo- if it doesn't list the HD specs, well . . . . can you RMA that HD?

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Yea I bought it from Newegg so I guess I could. I really just wanted to make sure that it really was bad and just not me since I am new to building a new system. I seem to have tried everything though.

Now, there is a little 8 pin connection port on my Sata hard drive. What is that for? The only other things connected are both the Sata plugs, the data and power cables.

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Just making sure too, with it default set to IDE, I shouldn't need to load any drivers first right? If not, since that is what my BIOS is set to I am going to go ahead and return it as it seems faulty.

But if IDE does need drivers then I will still try to download and install them.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
the 8 pins are native pins for special situations (limit drive speed, size etc). there should be no Jumpers on any of those pins.

Try using the HDD in another system, or a Different HDD in your system.

Is your CD Drive SATA as well?.

try Reseting Bios to Defaults (Clr CMOS, then go into bios and restore defaults).

outside of that, either the HDDs SATA Interface is faulty, or the SATA connections on the Mainboard.

G

IDE is default and doesn't need any drivers. the AHCI mode with hot swapping and NCQ needs drivers for windows to access and install on a hard drive. those drivers are usually on the disk that came with the motherboard. i use AHCI but install IDE. its just a small edit in the registry, a change in the bios and then boot into windows after installation. but i digress.

too bad you got one of the 2.8% of WD HDs that are doa :(

Solution

Twinturbo4486

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Thank you for the reply skate. Yes my Disk Drive is Sata as well. My hard drive's power cable is on the same chain as the disk drives power cable. is that okay? I will try all else you mentioned soon as I get a chance here shortly.