Sign in with
Your question

How to improve performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2012 7:16:50 PM

Hello, I have an older AMD 2800 system, Windows XP Pro, with an 8X AGP card with 128Mb. When playing Facebook games like Cafe World, it is really slow. My other system
is a AMD PH II 3.2Ghz Win7 system and a 1Gb video card and the game runs really smooth. If I upgrade the 128Mb card to 512Mb will that improve the gaming? Can't aford another new system.
Thanks
Danny

More about : improve performance

a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 7:21:46 PM

You can still find new AGP cards but they are more expensive than their PCIe brothers and your CPU would be a major bottleneck. How much system RAM do you have? Most Facebook games use that more than VRAM.
m
l
January 29, 2012 7:38:38 PM

this is not a graphics card issue, the games don't run in 3d thus the graphics card won't do anything other than display it. Sounds like you need more ram
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:17:14 PM

^+1 How much RAM do you have in your older system?
m
l
January 29, 2012 11:24:51 PM

Vettedude said:
You can still find new AGP cards but they are more expensive than their PCIe brothers and your CPU would be a major bottleneck. How much system RAM do you have? Most Facebook games use that more than VRAM.

I have 2Gb of RAM
Thanks for the reply, I figured it would be a CPU issue but was hoping not.
Danny
m
l
January 29, 2012 11:25:27 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
^+1 How much RAM do you have in your older system?

I have 2Gb of RAM, Thanks for the reply.
Danny
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
January 29, 2012 11:27:58 PM

Its mostly a cpu problem as most facebook games will be using your cpu mostly. A better gpu will work better but not by much. If the game runs on flash, the gpu support is very limiting.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 12:39:32 AM

1.6Ghz should still be fine for Facebook games, they do run in the browser, right? Usually that would mean flash (Flash almost never has GPU support/acceleration), and unless I'm streaming HD on my ancient 1.6Ghz laptop flash runs just fine. Though 2GB should be fine too, especially on XP.

My guess would be the CPU if you have 2GB RAM...
m
l
!