Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Cooler and heatsink questions

Last response: in Components
July 19, 2012 6:46:29 PM

I've been having problems with my laptop. It's been freezing up frequently (about once every couple of weeks although it has gotten more frequent). When it happens, one of the fans kicks into overdrive so I'm assuming the CPU or GPU is getting too hot. Speedfan says the GPU idles around 60 degrees and the CPU idles around 55 degrees. Because of this, I'm assuming I need to replace the CPU cooler.

It seems straightforward, although I've never worked on a laptop but have installed a power supply and graphics card in my desktop, so I can probably handle it. I have two related questions. First, my laptop is 3.5 years old, so I thought maybe I could replace the major components like the hard drive, CPU, and graphics card that would extend the life a little bit. If so, then I might hold off on replacing the cooler.

I'll most likely replace the fan and heatsink soon anyways, so my main question is what cooler would anyone suggest getting that would be a budget option to fix this main problem?

Here is my information:

Computer: Asus x83vm-x1 N80vm

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Date / Time 2012-07-19 / 13:44

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2266 MHz (8.5 x 267)
Motherboard Name Asus N80Vm Series Notebook
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cantiga PM45
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Qimonda 64T256020EDL2.5C2 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: Qimonda 64T256020EDL2.5C2 [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type AMI (08/12/08)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS (1024 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS (1024 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
Monitor AU Optronics B141EW05 V0 [14.1" LCD]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter nVIDIA HDMI @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC663 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
IDE Controller Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
IDE Controller Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
IDE Controller Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Storage Controller Virtual CloneDrive
Disk Drive ST9320320AS (320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L (DVD+R9:6x, DVD-R9:6x, DVD+RW:8x/8x, DVD-RW:8x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/24x/24x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2012 8:28:35 PM

you can't unless there was one made for your laptop specific

try a cooling pad

knock out all the dust from it with compressed air
m
l
a c 193 à CPUs
July 19, 2012 8:30:11 PM

most video cards from that time of laptops were solider onto the mb and could not be removed.check your laptop serial number and model number. it at the right age to be in the nvidia class action lawsuit for defective video chip-sets. there were a whole bunch of mobile gpu that were defective and died...there were a few class action lasuits..hp..sony..toshia all had them...and then nvidia had one. you just had to have the right age and model of the video chipset to have the vendor replace the mb for free one time or they were buying the laptops back from the users.

with laptop mb you have to find one that the same size and shape for your case...if not price out what it cost for a 3 party laptop parts..mb..ram..and screen... you find out it cost more then a new unit. if you toss it up on ebay you may get 40.00 if your lucky...you may get more parting the laptop out..ie there comp pay top dollar for lcd and mb..even if the mb has issues.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2012 8:30:18 PM

Working on (and replacing) parts of a laptop is not economically feasible. The parts are almost certainly soldered in, and you could cause more damage trying to remove them. As for your overheating problem, about all you can do is try to open the laptop up and try to clean the heat sink and blow the accumulated dust from the vents. If this isn't enough, you can buy external cooler pads that sit under the laptop & force cold air into the vents.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:00:03 AM

Gotta say I'm disappointed in the responses. Figured people here would work on laptops all the time. I guess I really am out of luck. Just to clarify not even replacing the cooler would be feasible? Either way thanks for the responses.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 1:03:24 AM

You could mod it but it usually doesn't always work out. Best option for you is to clean out the cooler, replace the old compound with something fresh, and get a cooling pad. Even adding an extra internal fan could work but I have tried it but with mixed results.
July 23, 2012 9:26:55 PM

Best answer selected by gregmc311.
m
l
July 23, 2012 9:32:50 PM

Chose nforce as best answer because that is basically what I ended up doing before I even saw that post. Came here to update what I did. I had cleaned as best I could before starting the thread with no real results, but this last time I actually took out the entire cooler/heatsink contraption and blew out the fins that connected to the outside vent. Quite a bit of black dust was in there, so that might have been my problem.

I also reapplied thermal paste to the cpu and gpu. It was my first time doing it, so I might have put too much on there, but the results were an immediate improvement in temperature. I noticed as soon as I turned the machine on that the fan wasn't blowing as much or at all when it usually sounds like an aircraft engine.

Thanks again for the responses, I checked on all of them (the gpu recall didn't include mine).
m
l
!