Small footprint server < $800

nusbaum

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I have been doing a lot of work with non-profit organizations lately and in almost every situation I have encountered an old, large and noisy PC server running some variety of Windows server software. These non-profits then end up paying a lot of donated money to maintain their server rather than service their constituents. As these organizations move to gmail, or similar, for mail, I have an opportunity to dump the old server in favor of something smaller and far less complicated to manage. I like the foot print of the mac mini and the power seems to be appropriate, but Lion Server is a disaster. My goal here is to come up with a similar class of device, use Linux OS and find/build a simple web based admin utility. The primary function will be as a file server, but some LAMP style applications will be included, so additional power is needed. I've built systems in the past, but it's been 10 years and a lot has changed. After two days of browsing forums and manufacturers sites I decided to ask for some advice, your help is greatly appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next 10 days

Budget Range: less than $800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: file server, web application server

Parts Not Required: speakers, high end graphics card, mouse (keyboard and monitor will only be attached if needed to diagnose problems)

Parts Preferences: out of the game too long to have any current preferences, but used gigabyte and asus in the past

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: clueless

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768, probably console/character mode when attached. The goal is no monitor required.

Additional Comments:
Small foot print and quiet is very helpful.
I'm not looking for dirt cheap, I'm looking for an elegant and affordable solution.
The solution needs to be reproducible so I can deploy exactly the same device in multiple organizations.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I think the best thing is to wait for ive bridge but if you want it within 10 days then

intel i7 2600
cm hyper 212 evo
asrock z68 pro3 gen3
corsair vengence 2x8 gb 1600 mhz ddr3 ram
Wd carvier blue 500gb hdd.
Seasonic 350w 80+ bronze psu
corsair carbide 300r or cm haf 912

This should cover it.

Hyper 212 evo so that if the cpu is in load still it will run cooler their by keeping the system silent.

If you can my next recommendation will be

intel i7 3820
asrock x79 extreme 3
corsair vengence 4x4 gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram
cm hyper 212 evo
seasonic 350w 80+ bronze psu
asus hd 5450 1gb if needed optional
wd carvier blue 500gb hdd
cm haf 912

nusbaum

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I'm still catching up on technology here. What will ive bridge provide? I can wait a bit on the hardware if there is an advantage.

Thank you for the response, I'm going through all of the component you recommended now.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Ive bridge is due on april 29

ive bridge is the successor of sandy bridge.

Ive bridge will be manufictured on 22nm chip and will use tri gate technology.

It will be more energy efficient. will run cooler and faster and overclocks better.

AMD FX 8120 8 core processor UNDERCLOCKED to around 2.2 - 2.6 Ghz . Whatever the BIOS lets you reduce it too.
AM3 + mb with 880G chipset to include graphics
8 or 16 gig of RAM
Basic ATX case with a lot of hard drive space

Will use less power per thread ,and data handled, [ than equivalent sandybridge and sandybridge cored xeons ] and should easily meet the needs of a small business or organization with 7 - 14 computers

It will also be cheaper

Take an image of the operating system and software environment when its set up and store that on a local hard drive so the system can be up and running again in less than an hour even in the worst case scenario .
Acronis True Image is the best software for this