Sign in with
Your question

[HELP] Computer Not Retaining Power

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2012 2:24:19 PM

Hi there,

I've been stuck with this fault for the past day now. It would seem that, after moving my computer from house to house, it does not want to power up.

I've tested the PSU and that seems fine - when that does receive power, you hear an internal "clicking" sound from it. If a peripheral such as a mouse is attached, the laser or side LED's flicker in accordance to the clicking sound. From this. I'm assuming my system is receiving power but not retaining it.

The Spec is as follows:

Intel i7 2600k
Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 Mobo
Nvidia 560GTX Ti (Unsure of manufacturing brand)
16GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz (Same as above)
Coolermaster 650W GX PSU

I don't want to believe the fault will lie with my Mobo. They're expensive as it is. :p 

Any help will be much appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2012 2:31:41 PM

Something may have gotten loose during the move and is either shorted (causing the PSU to power off immediately) or not connected (which doesn't let the PSU stay on). Your PSU is not a good one (summarized by HardOCP as a "polished turd in a box"), but you weren't stressing it so I doubt it simply croaked. Check all power cables. Make sure there's nothing like a loose screw rattling around in your case.
April 6, 2012 3:04:58 PM

Onus said:
Something may have gotten loose during the move and is either shorted (causing the PSU to power off immediately) or not connected (which doesn't let the PSU stay on). Your PSU is not a good one (summarized by HardOCP as a "polished turd in a box"), but you weren't stressing it so I doubt it simply croaked. Check all power cables. Make sure there's nothing like a loose screw rattling around in your case.

Mm, I know it isn't brilliant but it worked alright for the price.

All power cables have been removed, checked and re-plugged t no difference in state. I've also tried replacing th mains power lead to no avail. I've also tested the system with a 780W PSU with the only different result being it didn't even show any signs of power at all.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2012 4:00:25 PM

Did you check the CPU heatsink to make sure it's still seated correctly? Moving a computer around, especially if your using the stock, (or any) push pin heatsink can be dislodged very easily and the heat buildup during startup will cause the cpu thermals to shut down the computer immediately. I gather you already unplugged everything non essential and tried a power up with only the cpu, 1 stick of memory and using the ondie graphics? Did you remove the board from the case and try a makeshift breadboard test to make sure it's not shorting out on the case anywhere, and during reinstall make sure nothing that wasn't supposed to be touching the sides of the case are, or that any grounds between the motherboard and case are there? At this point I would completely remove everything and do a complete, (including removing and re-seating the CPU and heatsink), rebuild to make sure everything is precisely where it's supposed to be. While doing that if you follow the link under my sig it will give you some tips that maybe you missed or had a brainfart (as we all do from time to time) during the inspection/rebuild stage. Barring doing all of that and not getting any positive results then that leaves the mobo. Last but not least - Did you put YOUR PSU in another build and see if it could run that? And if you tested your machine by changing it out with another one and got no results at all then it sounds like the "worked alright for the price" has shorted out your motherboard.
Related resources
!