Solved

New Build Won't Power On

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2012 4:04:26 PM

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G43 G3
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
PSU: APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
GFX: Nvidia GeForce 480
Audio: Asus DS 7.1 card

So to sum it up, when I press the power button nothing happens. No fans, no lights no beeps. Reseated the entire build but once again, nothing happens when I press the power button. Next step: checked out and went through it. Sweet guide btw.

After reading through the forums I decided to breadboard. PSU, CPU & Heatsink, one stick of RAM. Same thing, nothing happens. Moved the stick of RAM to every slot, nothing. I also tried two sizes and makes of RAM, nada.

Tried a second PSU, nothing. I did the paper clip on the PSU as well s place the PSUs into other systems where they boot no problem. I was also able to connect all devices to the PSU and they would turn on, HDD spinning up, DVD drive starting to spin the disk, GPU fan starting. Then I tried a second CPU (250w), nothing. Then a second motherboard (MSI H67A-G43 B3), nothing.

I checked to make sure that the 20+4 pins from my PSUs are plugged in as well as the 4-pin CPU is fully plugged in.
So then I thought maybe I'm retarded and didn't plug in the power switch properly, checked MB manual and i did it right. I also plugged in the reset switch in the power switch spot, still nothing.

I am starting to think that somehow, by the act of god, I have acquired two DOA MB. Or maybe CPUs.
If you guys have any ideas please let me know, I'm stumped.

More about : build power

April 6, 2012 6:06:59 PM

What happens if you plug power to just the motherboard only and try to turn on?
Leave the power switch cable off, and cross a screwdriver across the two power pins on the front panel header (with only 24-pin connector attached, nothing but mobo).

If that turns on, then add CPU/heatsink and try again.
Did you try to power up with CPU and RAM outside of case or just build it all into case first and then try to fire it up? Standoffs not lined up? If one standoff is touching the bottom of the board where it's not screwed down, shorts out board.
m
l
April 6, 2012 6:21:03 PM

You mentioned that you might have acquired a second DOA motherboard or 2nd DOA CPU.

Is that from a different computer that was working, or did you buy it trying to fix this PC?

Also, I don't see any mention of the 2nd CPU anywhere. Did you buy one of those from the store trying to fix this PC as well?

PSU - Even though Apevia is generally a rock bottom PSU brand, the computer should still show some sign of life when it is plugged in, even if it turns right back off.

The fact that the other 250w PSU acted the same way in testing also points away from the PSU as the problem child.

Just to verify, was it included in that guide when breadboarding to use a flat screwdriver or a similar object on both pins labeled PWR_BTN in the manual to start up the PC? If so did you do it?

I am trying not to assume anything, so you will have to bear with me.
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2012 6:24:13 PM

Than you for the response.

I did as you instructed and attached the power supply to the mother board. The then used a screw driver (and also a paper clip to be sure) but nothing happened. I can confirm the the PSU is on, the switch is set to 115 like normal.

I originally built the pc inside the case. But because I have been having these problems I have pulled it out and imbuilding it on some cardboard. The standoffs when I originally screwed them in all raised the board and screwed in the correct spots. I removed all extra standoffs from the case.

I also did this with a second power supply. Didn't work. Does this mean I have received two dead motherboards from two different locations?
m
l
April 6, 2012 6:29:07 PM

Raiddinn said:
You mentioned that you might have acquired a second DOA motherboard or 2nd DOA CPU.

Is that from a different computer that was working, or did you buy it trying to fix this PC?

Also, I don't see any mention of the 2nd CPU anywhere. Did you buy one of those from the store trying to fix this PC as well?

PSU - Even though Apevia is generally a rock bottom PSU brand, the computer should still show some sign of life when it is plugged in, even if it turns right back off.

The fact that the other 250w PSU acted the same way in testing also points away from the PSU as the problem child.

Just to verify, was it included in that guide when breadboarding to use a flat screwdriver or a similar object on both pins labeled PWR_BTN in the manual to start up the PC? If so did you do it?

I am trying not to assume anything, so you will have to bear with me.

I bought the second motherboard trying to fix it with intents of returning the dead one. The second CPU is identical, an i3-2120. These two boards are the only one that I have that will take that chip.
m
l
April 6, 2012 6:37:44 PM

Apevia makes some of the worst PSU-shaped objects out there. I have yet to read a competent technical review of one that gave any Apevia unit a passing grade, and in most of them, the PSU melts, pops, or otherwise chokes, smokes, and croaks.
m
l
April 6, 2012 11:49:01 PM

jtt283 - Be that as it may, I would think it would turn on and do one of those things rather than just doing nothing at all.

All you need to show some sign of life is a motherboard, a processor, and a PSU.

However, in this case every one of those things has been kinda sorta ruled out as a problem child.

There were two motherboards, two processors, and two PSUs and still the exact same thing happened every time.

Either the same thing was broken in the exact same way twice in a row, or the problem is something external to the PC.

Are you sure the power cord is delivering power to the PC?

Have you tried it in a different wall outlet?

If it is in a surge protector, are you sure it is set to allow power to flow through it? Have you tried it directly in the wall instead of in the surge protector?

Have you tried a different power cord if there is another one available?

- Edit - I would assume that it is working, because you were able to turn the PSU on in the past with the paperclip, but perhaps whatever wall outlet was used for that isn't the one being used now, so I need to ask these things again for the current outlet if it is a different one.
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:16:27 AM

I have tried different outlets on different breakers just to be safe.

I tried with and without a surge protector.

I believe I have found the problem. It was the PSU.

I think somehow it was breaking the two motherboards, thus causing these problems. I went to the store and grabbed a cheap board and did not connect the Apevia PSU instead I connected it to another PSU and was able to post. I was able to get an OS installed as well. I was also able to boot without problem on the second CPU. I was able to play fire up a few games and all seems well now.

Unless I somehow grabbed two bad motherboards, it must have been the PSU doing something weird. I've learned my lesson with that brand.

I have built several PCs before but have never encountered a problem such as this. I would like to thank you guys for helping me with this problem.
m
l

Best solution

April 7, 2012 2:36:03 AM

It certainly is possible that somehow the Apevia PSU blew both the boards, but it seems unlikely that it would have happened before it was even turned on once.

That really is just weird that it would blow a motherboard before it was even turned on, much less two of them.

I would rather not go within a physical mile of an Apevia PSU if I can avoid it, so problems like these usually aren't on my radar.

Usually I am able to get to people here before they buy PSUs of this brand and convince them to avoid buying them too, so most of the time I never see these weird sorts of problems.

Oh well, I will try to keep that in the back of my mind anyway.
April 17, 2012 2:11:46 AM

Best answer selected by Kentos.
m
l
!