nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
So all of the cores on my 3570k average 55C-58C when running prime95 on the maximum heat setting. I have not overclocked at all and have a cooler master hyper 212 evo. I understand these temps are far from dangerous but they seem high for a cm hyper 212 evo. Should I let prime95 run for a few hours to let the thermal paste sink in?

Also, core #1 averages 10C higher than the other cores at idle, and about 5C higher than the rest at full load. Is this something of concern?

Solution
Those temps seem just about right with the 212 Evo on that CPU, actually.

If you're not using Arctic Silver 5 for your thermal paste, there really isn't a "burn-in" period to worry about, but if you are, the best thing to do is to let it temp cycle (run Prime for a bit, let it cool down, and run it again, possibly several times over a several day period) so it will burn-in quicker. The temp cycling, not high temps for long periods, is what help speed that up.

As far as the inconsistency between the core temps goes, no, that's not really anything to be concerned about.

Those temps seem just about right with the 212 Evo on that CPU, actually.

If you're not using Arctic Silver 5 for your thermal paste, there really isn't a "burn-in" period to worry about, but if you are, the best thing to do is to let it temp cycle (run Prime for a bit, let it cool down, and run it again, possibly several times over a several day period) so it will burn-in quicker. The temp cycling, not high temps for long periods, is what help speed that up.

As far as the inconsistency between the core temps goes, no, that's not really anything to be concerned about.

Solution

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Okay thanks. I am using Arctic Silver 5. I guess I just expected lower temps. On a side note how possible do you think a 4.5ghz overclock would be with my setup? I have amazing airflow with a total of about 400cfm through my haf 912.

You'll just have to try it and see, but from what I've seen, 4.5 will be getting a bit warm with the 212 Evo. That's Ok though, since performance wise, 4.3 on a 3570K (what you'll probably be able to accomplish) is equal to ~4.6 on a 2500K.

But, like I said, you'll just have to try it and see.

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Well I managed 4.8ghz and the highest temp was 85C on a 3 hour prime95 session. I tried 5ghz but I increased voltage to what I thought was enough and temps approached 100C before crashing due to lack of voltage.

TRENDING THREADS