Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU Bottlenecked?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 29, 2012 9:33:51 PM

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8400 gs and a pentium d 945 overclocked at 3.82ghz. If I want better gameplay in games such as Skyrim, which should I upgrade first?

I think its my graphics card but im not sure.

More about : gpu bottlenecked

a c 92 U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 9:35:17 PM

8.82ghz?

you'd need to upgrade both for decent gameplay of any modern game but your gpu is weaker.
m
0
l
January 29, 2012 9:48:10 PM

esrever said:
8.82ghz?

you'd need to upgrade both for decent gameplay of any modern game but your gpu is weaker.


Sorry 3.82ghz, and yeah im aware of that. I play skyrim on lowest settings in fullscreen and it lags sometimes when there is a lot of water and such, and im saving up to upgrade. Is my gpu still weaker with a 3.82ghz pentuim d? and do you think an intel core 2 quad 2.33ghz would bottleneck gpus like a gtx 550 ti? and by how much?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 9:54:34 PM

for skyrim you should upgrade the cpu first. most new gpu's can play that game on good settings if you have a great cpu like a sandy bridge cpu. but skyrim is not like other games....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:02:13 PM

You will still be bottlenecked. I had a Pentium D 945 at 3.2 and a 9600GT and I was barely bottlenecking it. An extra 600Mhz wont stop any bottlenecks from the new cards.

And yes, it would. Those were good chips for the time, but now are totally outdated by even the old i3. If you want to use the GTX 5XX you need to upgrade your mobo... 775 doesn't support anything newer that would run it without bottlenecking.

Your GPU is the weak link right now. If you want a quick fix to the problem and don't want to pay a lot of money, you can nab a ATI 5770 for cheap. You would still be bottlenecked, but I believe you would be able to play Skyrim at medium settings depending on your resolution (Higher the better as it relieves the CPU bottleneck).

Though don't quote me as I have never played the game so I'm not 100% sure on how it performs with slower CPU's.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:22:03 PM

yea, you should be able to run skyrim with less hiccups with a graphics card upgrade but I'd suggest a gt 450 or less since theres no reason to pay more.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:35:33 PM

esrever said:
yea, you should be able to run skyrim with less hiccups with a graphics card upgrade but I'd suggest a gt 450 or less since theres no reason to pay more.


bad advice.

1) skyrim needs atleast a 4.0 ghz sandy bridge cpu to max out any gpu.
2) skyrim can be maxed out with a 6850 and possibly a weaker gpu
3) in case you havent seen the pattern ill fill you in, cpu power is more important in the game.
4) dont tell someone to get a horrible gpu just because they have a bad cpu. what happens when they get a good cpu.... they just wasted what they paid for that bad gpu.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:38:21 PM

esrever said:
yea, you should be able to run skyrim with less hiccups with a graphics card upgrade but I'd suggest a gt 450 or less since theres no reason to pay more.


The MSI ATI 5770 at Newegg is 100$ w/ MIR....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:40:46 PM

cbrunnem said:
bad advice.

1) skyrim needs atleast a 4.0 ghz sandy bridge cpu to max out any gpu.
2) skyrim can be maxed out with a 6850 and possibly a weaker gpu
3) in case you havent seen the pattern ill fill you in, cpu power is more important in the game.
4) dont tell someone to get a horrible gpu just because they have a bad cpu. what happens when they get a good cpu.... they just wasted what they paid for that bad gpu.


Unless the guy just wants a quick fix for now, and doesn't want to pay a ton of dough to upgrade his system to max it out. He was just continuing my line of thought about just upgrading the GPU if that's what he wanted to do. And :lol:  no you don't need a 4.0 GHz Sandy Bridge to max out any GPU. THATS bad advice.

Though a whole new system would be a whole lot better of a fix.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:40:54 PM

cbrunnem said:
bad advice.

1) skyrim needs atleast a 4.0 ghz sandy bridge cpu to max out any gpu.
2) skyrim can be maxed out with a 6850 and possibly a weaker gpu
3) in case you havent seen the pattern ill fill you in, cpu power is more important in the game.
4) dont tell someone to get a horrible gpu just because they have a bad cpu. what happens when they get a good cpu.... they just wasted what they paid for that bad gpu.

Im just suggesting for what the OP needs with his system given his situation. but A new system will be all the better.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 10:54:12 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
Unless the guy just wants a quick fix for now, and doesn't want to pay a ton of dough to upgrade his system to max it out. He was just continuing my line of thought about just upgrading the GPU if that's what he wanted to do. And :lol:  no you don't need a 4.0 GHz Sandy Bridge to max out any GPU. THATS bad advice.

Though a whole new system would be a whole lot better of a fix.


first i was talking about skyrim needing a 4.0 ghz sb cpu to max out a top of the line gpu i miss spoke a lower gpu wont need that much power but it still holds true that at any gpu level the cpu needs to be stronger then it normally does for other games. if you dont believe me ill dig up the benchs.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 11:13:29 PM

cbrunnem said:
first i was talking about skyrim needing a 4.0 ghz sb cpu to max out a top of the line gpu i miss spoke a lower gpu wont need that much power but it still holds true that at any gpu level the cpu needs to be stronger then it normally does for other games. if you dont believe me ill dig up the benchs.


I misunderstood your advice, and wanted to make sure the OP didn't misunderstand as well. If you were talking about Skyrim, I just checked the article on the new patches for the Bulldozer CPU, and it seems like the game is very CPU dependent. Like I said though, I haven't played it so I don't know how much CPU power it likes.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2012 11:15:15 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
I misunderstood your advice, and wanted to make sure the OP didn't misunderstand as well. If you were talking about Skyrim, I just checked the article on the new patches for the Bulldozer CPU, and it seems like the game is very CPU dependent. Like I said though, I haven't played it so I don't know how much CPU power it likes.


haha glad it was just a miss understanding.

heres a reference for how much cpu it needs.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 12:39:47 AM

Thanks for the link. Looks like you could slide by with a ~Phenom II x4 955 if you really wanted to if you were building a PC around Skyrim. But that's strange this type of game is so dependent on the CPU...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 3:26:26 AM

gidgiddonihah said:
Thanks for the link. Looks like you could slide by with a ~Phenom II x4 955 if you really wanted to if you were building a PC around Skyrim. But that's strange this type of game is so dependent on the CPU...


if your building off a mid level gpu yeah a x4 would be fine but on anything about a 560ti/6950 your loosing fps in that game.

so since the OP specifically asked about skyrim the cpu upgrade would probably help most.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 3:32:28 AM

cbrunnem said:
if your building off a mid level gpu yeah a x4 would be fine but on anything about a 560ti/6950 your loosing fps in that game.

so since the OP specifically asked about skyrim the cpu upgrade would probably help most.
not really
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 3:52:13 AM

esrever said:
not really


cool you have an opinion, care to back it up?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 12:16:01 PM

To answer your question your graphic card should be upgraded first even though Skyrim is more CPU depended than most games.

It would help if you would tell us, what resolution does your monitor support and what is your budget for new graphics. Otherwise there is no way helping you unless you have already made up your mind that you will upgrade your graphics. So unless you want us to answer another question regarding which graphic card is best for the money we need budget information :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 1:50:22 PM

Considering all SKYRIM benchmarks where sandy bridge have a HUGE lead over AMD cpus (even a Pentium G860 stock speed is basically faster than any AMD FX series, even overclocked)
Link: Picking A Sub-$200 Gaming CPU: FX, An APU, Or A Pentium?

The best upgrade you could do now is to get a Sandy-bridge, the i3-2105 or the i5-2500k
Both have the iGPU HD 3000, both faster than your current VGA.

The main reason I support this upgrade, and not a VGA upgrade first is the highly CPU dependent architecture from Skyrim, even at 1080p, ultra, all extras, AA, AF, etc. And even that way the sandy bridge shows a great advantage.
Buying the i5-2500k and OC it should give you a relative nice performance, enough to play skyrim at low resolution (1280x1024 or 720p=1280x720)
at medium maybe.

Them you could grab a 100 dollars VGA when you receive more money.

More link about sandy bridge + Skyrim: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: PC Performance, Benchmarked

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 5:20:17 PM

If he upgrades his CPU he has to throw out his mobo too. The VGA fix is for a cheap way to get a lot better FPS. And I don't recommend building a system built around one game. Its really not smart for many reasons.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 6:01:53 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
If he upgrades his CPU he has to throw out his mobo too. The VGA fix is for a cheap way to get a lot better FPS. And I don't recommend building a system built around one game. Its really not smart for many reasons.

This.
m
0
l
!