Taping digital "film" cannister to the camera strap

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 16, 2005 1:38:08 AM

Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
strap?

In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
film.

Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?

If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
cannister top).

What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
camera strap?
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:06:41 AM

In article <1118896687.992382.119440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
rustydustin@yahoo.com wrote:

> Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
> strap?
>
> In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
> cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
> film.
>
> Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
> flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?
>
> If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
> opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
> cannister top).
>
> What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
> camera strap?

No camera bag?

I went with a 4GB card. That's good enough for a week-long vacation if
I don't shoot in RAW mode too much.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:39:50 AM

rustydustin@yahoo.com writes:
> What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
> camera strap?

It's not needed. Just stick it in your pocket. It doesn't bulge out
your pocket like a roll of film does. And use large cards, so you
don't have to swap as often. For a 3mp camera (1 mb/shot), a 1gb card
is like 25 or so rolls of film.
June 16, 2005 6:01:26 AM

I bought a special flashcard holder from buydig.com which holds up to 7
additional cards. It just clips on to the camera strap. It's even
waterproof so you can shoot on a rainy day!
June 16, 2005 3:42:16 PM

rustydustin@yahoo.com wrote:
> Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
> strap?
>
> In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
> cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
> film.
>
> Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
> flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?
>
> If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
> opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
> cannister top).
>
> What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
> camera strap?

The case that holds my digicam around my waist has pockets for memory cards and batteries.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:48:11 PM

<rustydustin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
> strap?

I use 2" wide Nikon straps on all my cameras (none of which are Nikon), and
sew a pocket with a Velcro flap into the inside of the ends to hold cards.

> What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
> camera strap?

Velcro.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:24:58 PM

On 15 Jun 2005 21:38:08 -0700, rustydustin@yahoo.com wrote:

>Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
>strap?

No. that sounds like a bad idea. I keep one of these in my pocket.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishL...

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
June 16, 2005 6:59:09 PM

Some Tamrac straps have built in neoprene memory card holders.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:36:52 PM

Hannah wrote:
> Don't your trousers have pockets?
>
> I can get at least 4 CF cards inside their little plastic boxes in one
> trouser pocket without unsightly bulge.

Some of us wear skirts without pockets.
But, we do enjoy that "unsightly bulge" in men's trousers. :-)

Personally, I rarely carry a camera bag (too much to carry).
I just hang the camera on my neck to keep it there when I need it.

For us, a flash card holder attached to the strap is useful.

Plenty flash card holders DON'T attach to the strap though, so, be
wary.
http://www.inanycase.com/catalog/PKG.html
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/Product.asp?Sku=VGCFH
http://www.tristatecamera.com/LookAtAll-4g7uwbnl-HOOHFP...
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID...
http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductC...
etc
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:55:29 PM

<rustydustin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
> strap?
>
> In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
> cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
> film.
>
> Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
> flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?
>
> If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
> opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
> cannister top).
>
> What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
> camera strap?

The strap that came with my Pentax MZ-5n is now attached to my *istDS.
It has two small pockets, secured by poppers built-in, designed, I guess to
hold the flash-shoe cover and/or the viewfinder cover, each big enough to
hold a couple of SD cards.

Deep
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:35:25 AM

On 16 Jun 2005 16:36:52 -0700, rustydustin@yahoo.com wrote:

>> I can get at least 4 CF cards inside their little plastic boxes in one
>> trouser pocket without unsightly bulge.
>
> Some of us wear skirts without pockets.
> But, we do enjoy that "unsightly bulge" in men's trousers. :-)

Hannah and her sisters may prefer what produces such bulges only
when they're battery powered.

> Personally, I rarely carry a camera bag (too much to carry).
> I just hang the camera on my neck to keep it there when I need it.
>
> For us, a flash card holder attached to the strap is useful.
>
> Plenty flash card holders DON'T attach to the strap though, so, be
> wary.

I have a nice little flash card holder that also has no means of
attaching to a strap. But it fits in a recess in a larger case that
also holds 4 AA batteries, convenient because that happens to be
what my camera uses. The case is very nice, having secure latches,
and different models come with choices of what appear to be neoprene
inserts to allow the cases to hold different things. I'm surprised
that there's no company name molded into the case, only a tiny
"patent pending", but they were sold by CompUSA. Fits in my trouser
pocket with only a slight bulge, unnoticeable to all but the most
prying eyes. :)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:06:12 AM

<rustydustin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
> strap?

Don't your trousers have pockets?

I can get at least 4 CF cards inside their little plastic boxes in one
trouser pocket without unsightly bulge.
H.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:28:58 AM

In article <d8r06o$oht$1@nnrp.gol.com>,
"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:

> <rustydustin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
> > strap?
>
> I use 2" wide Nikon straps on all my cameras (none of which are Nikon), and
> sew a pocket with a Velcro flap into the inside of the ends to hold cards.
>
> > What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
> > camera strap?
>
> Velcro.

Unfortunately most media is far too small (or not robust enough) to
attach to the strap. Most people attach small pockets to the inside of
their camera case - Camera manufacturers take note!

I used to have canisters attached to the strap until the day I went
climbing only to note I'd lost a full exposed roll somewhere on the
mountain - In future, I always put them into the rucksack out of harm's
way.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:32:18 AM

rustydustin@yahoo.com wrote:
: Has anyone a good idea for taping the spare flash card to the camera
: strap?

: In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
: cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
: film.

: Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
: flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?

: If I just tape the compact flash card case to the strap, it can't be
: opened like a film cannister could be (since the tape never covered the
: cannister top).

: What is the duct-tape method for taping an extra flash card to the
: camera strap?

I found some small neoprene pouches that have loops for mounting on the
camera strap. Two problems are possible. If the cards are specially
suseptable to flexing you may want to keep them in the plastic card cases
inside the pouch. But I am very comfortable with 5 SD cards (in one pouch)
on my camera neck strap. I have one pouch on one end of the strap for
empty cards, and one on the other end of the strap for full cards. This
makes a card swap much quicker. And I'm never grabbing a card only to find
I have already filled that one up and have to swap again. :)

The pouches I got are Op/tech Media Holsters (B&H # OPMHB, Op Tech #
4701002).

There is only one problem I have had with these holsters. The strap
that secures the holster to the camera strap is on the same side of the
pouch as the velcro for the flap. So when attached to the camera strap,
the velcro closure is tucked under the pouch against the neck strap. This
can be difficult if the neck strap is stiff or the pouch is too full as
the velcro can hold the flap from easily slipping out from behind the
pouch. I solved the problem by puting a couple of velcro (the wool side)
patches on the neck strap right where the open end of these pouches sets.
Then the velcro pad on the pouch sticks on the strap pad and secures the
card in the pouch, as well as securing the pouch in place on the strap. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign,IL
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:02:50 PM

On 15 Jun 2005 21:38:08 -0700, rustydustin@yahoo.com wrote:

>In the olden days, we taped one or two black cylindrical film
>cannisters to the camera strap so as to have handy the extra rolls of
>film.

Actully little yellow cans with gasketed screw tops, colored according
to film type, were popular in the oldendays.

>Has anyone figured out a nice way to do the same thing with the compact
>flash cases that house the new compact flash cards?

No.

Dave
East Englewood
-------------------------------
The proof is in the print.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 6:00:07 AM

Randy Berbaum wrote:

> I found some small neoprene pouches that have loops for mounting on the
> camera strap. Two problems are possible. If the cards are specially
> suseptable to flexing you may want to keep them in the plastic card cases
> inside the pouch. But I am very comfortable with 5 SD cards (in one pouch)
> on my camera neck strap. I have one pouch on one end of the strap for
> empty cards, and one on the other end of the strap for full cards. This
> makes a card swap much quicker. And I'm never grabbing a card only to find
> I have already filled that one up and have to swap again. :)
>
> The pouches I got are Op/tech Media Holsters (B&H # OPMHB, Op Tech #
> 4701002).
>
> There is only one problem I have had with these holsters. The strap
> that secures the holster to the camera strap is on the same side of the
> pouch as the velcro for the flap. So when attached to the camera strap,
> the velcro closure is tucked under the pouch against the neck strap. This
> can be difficult if the neck strap is stiff or the pouch is too full as
> the velcro can hold the flap from easily slipping out from behind the
> pouch. I solved the problem by puting a couple of velcro (the wool side)
> patches on the neck strap right where the open end of these pouches sets.
> Then the velcro pad on the pouch sticks on the strap pad and secures the
> card in the pouch, as well as securing the pouch in place on the strap. :)

Those went on my B&H wish list. I'm not ordering a $7.50 item alone,
though. Shipping costs as much as the pouches, which look as close to
ideal as possible for my needs, even with a photo vest on the way. I
need a longer lens for bird and race photography, so when the money is
available in a week or two, I'll grab it all, I think.
!