Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Laptops
  • Intel i7
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2012 10:54:44 PM

Hi,

Just wondering, I've been doing some research on the differences between the i7 and i5 processors and I just wanted to know which one would be the best value for what I'm going to do. I want to buy a laptop, primarily for college but it will get used for gaming quite a bit, (FSX, CoD, BF3, etc...), and also for some 3D CAD work as I get through my degree. Now I don't want to break the bank with this thing, so I want to know if I can get away with an i5 or if I'm going to be better off with an i7. I don't need to run these games on max, although I would like about 30-40 fps with FSX with the best visuals while running 3rd party addons. Additionally, which generation should I go with? Thanks.

~Chris

More about : laptop

a b à CPUs
July 19, 2012 11:13:39 PM

Should be no probs with an i5.

Make sure the gfx card delivers all you need - check out mobile gfx benchmark sites to make sure you are happy with the framerates for your selected gfx card. Also check out the fsx forums - if I remember, there is someflexibility in the gfx card choice for fsx i.e. up to a point, you don't need the best - fsx forums will better advise).
July 20, 2012 12:47:55 AM

+1

The main thing you should look at is gfx because even though more cores would help with the 3D CAD, games like BF3 use your gpu a lot more than your cpu
!