Just ordered need help!!

jbeauvais

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I just put in this order for a new LGA2011 build. first build in years. Originally going to do a core i7 1155, but decided to up the budget by about 700.00 to get it tricked out as follows. have I given myself the best setup given the budget??. I am married to the peripherals as I want new, well built and good looking peripherals as I live in a studio apt and all that visit will see them. Machine is for gaming, photography, animation and general use.

thanks

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=18853825

jbeauvais

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

Really? have I misunderstood the road map? my understanding is 1155 is going to be dead after ivybridge and all future processors will be on the 2011 socket. The psu is probably overkill, but when I add another 7950 or (2) 7970's in future and ramp up to 6 TB of storage and a second ssd and two optical drives and the eventual 64MB of ram for a ramdisk I think I will be happy for the extra wattage.my goal with a build like this is future upgrade paths. not going to start again for at least 5 years I hope.

Two 7970's in CF would run well on 750 - 800 Watts . As it is your build needs 750 watts maximum even accounting for expansion , but without that 650 watts and definitely not the 1250 watts you have bought .
Spending all that extra money is just going to mean the psu will run less efficiently .

Socket 1155 may be gone in a year , but then every intel socket gets left behind in two years thanks to their Tick/Tock cycle of updates That means you are going to get a few months extra out of 2011
And for that you double the price and trim the performance

Brilliant IMO

jbeauvais

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I appreciate your feedback and I share your frustrations with planned obsolescence. However, I am not quite sure what your problem is with the build given the budget. The better the power supply means good clean power for longer as all power supplies will become less efficient as time goes by. I personally always want about 20% worth of headroom as you know components and PSU (even good ones) can vary greatly. I am not going to switch sockets again in 2 year no matter what Intel has planned. This build is going to give me 5 years I hope. So, 2011 and x79 with PCIe3 in CF(x16, x16), Sata 6, USB 3 and quad channel memory will give me those 5 years if not more before games and applications will max it out. True, pcie 2 and sata 3, dual channel memory still aren't being fully saturated or challenged by everything, but I think I will get out of this build more than a few months past the usefulness of the older specs. hell it might be 7 years before it cant keep up. I will keep it as long as all keeps working.

thanks for everyone's input, packages arrived today. will get to building tomorrow!!