Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics card hissing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2012 12:16:58 AM

Hi Everyone.

I've had a Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC for a while now and every since day one, i have noticed a variable hissing noise coming from the card when under load. The hissing only happens with certain games.

The card only hisses when put under a specific load and the noise changes as i move the viewport around in a game and gets louder or quieter based on how much geometry the specific scene has.

I really couldn't be stuffed to RMA things because it takes ages to send things overseas from where i am. So could anyone who has experienced this be of assistance and at the very least explain to me what the hissing is caused by?

Thanks.

More about : graphics card hissing

January 30, 2012 12:28:58 AM

i would bet money its your fans. especially if they are controlled. the more work load on the gpu the faster the fans will run.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 12:50:48 AM

^+1 When the GPU gets under heavy load, the temperature increases (Especially on the GTX 580) and the fan spins up to compensate. I would try to RMA it...
Score
Related resources
January 30, 2012 12:55:49 AM

I seriously doubt the fans. It's more of an electrical buzzing type sound, unless the fans can spin up in a fraction of a second i don't think it's that.
Score
January 30, 2012 12:57:21 AM

I've locked the fans on 50%.

It's still making different hissing sounds based on the load.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 12:58:55 AM

AidanJC said:
I seriously doubt the fans. It's more of an electrical buzzing type sound, unless the fans can spin up in a fraction of a second i don't think it's that.

Silicon doesn't make any noise unless its VERY defective. Either way I would RMA it. Sorry!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 1:02:36 AM

gidgiddonihah said:
Silicon doesn't make any noise unless its VERY defective. Either way I would RMA it. Sorry!

Could be coil whine, while im not sure if that relates to GPUs its probably the most likely suspect, its normally not harmful so don't worry about it
Score

Best solution

January 30, 2012 1:03:50 AM

Yes, fans can spin up in a fraction of a second.

You could always "reseat" the card. Another words... pull it out, then reinstall it.

You can even go as far as taking a pencil eraser and cleaning the card insert. Kinda like slot cars for a better contact.

Sometimes an improperly seated electronic component can buzz.

and, sometimes a general funk on your contact points can create a contacting problem. if that makes any sense
January 30, 2012 1:05:10 AM

This is probably capacitor "hissing" or "squealing" due to high frequency vibrations.

I don't think it's actually dangerous, but you should RMA it, if the noise is too loud.
Score
January 30, 2012 1:07:24 AM

yes, I agree, RMA and call it good.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 1:11:50 AM

molo9000 said:
This is probably capacitor "hissing" or "squealing" due to high frequency vibrations.

I don't think it's actually dangerous, but you should RMA it, if the noise is too loud.

Oops missed that. I agree ;) .
Score
January 30, 2012 1:14:22 AM

Yeah, i think I will RMA it. I'll do it after I purchase an additional card though, so i can at least use it during the long period of time it is away.

I'll try a reseat as soon as i come home from work, might even rebuild the whole darn thing. Try some of this "Cable Management" :p 

The PSU is a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W

The hissing is fairly noticeable when i have the speakers down low, however when i turn them up louder its perfectly fine, so i'll just do that until then :) 

I'll let you know how i go once i've re-assembled everything. Thanks everyone for your input so far, it is very much appreciated. :) 
Score
January 30, 2012 1:17:26 AM

Good luck! May the force be worth you!
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 2:23:31 AM

Good luck!
Score
January 30, 2012 9:11:35 PM

Best answer selected by AidanJC.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card