Is Forza Motorsport this good?

Can't wait to see what the American rags/sites have to say about it. Things
are looking good though.

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> Can't wait to see what the American rags/sites have to say about it.
Things
> are looking good though.

The reviews should start surfacing over the next couple days.
I am taking a wait and see approach with this game.
Has the frame rate been confirmed (30 - 60)?

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Can't wait to see what the American rags/sites have to say about
it.
> Things
> > are looking good though.
>
> The reviews should start surfacing over the next couple days.
> I am taking a wait and see approach with this game.
> Has the frame rate been confirmed (30 - 60)?

For realism there is no equal on a console.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0311-forzatestdrive.htm

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> Boody Bandit wrote:
> > "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > Can't wait to see what the American rags/sites have to say about
> it.
> > Things
> > > are looking good though.
> >
> > The reviews should start surfacing over the next couple days.
> > I am taking a wait and see approach with this game.
> > Has the frame rate been confirmed (30 - 60)?
>
> For realism there is no equal on a console.
>
> http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0311-forzatestdrive.htm

I am only taking a wait and see approach because this game has been so
hyped.
Usually games and consoles don't live up to the hype. There have been a few
exceptions to the rule, hopefully this will be one of them.

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> Can't wait to see what the American rags/sites have to say about it.
Things
> are looking good though.

Is that the one which also had a demo on the Jade Empire disk?. If so, I
couldn't even make it through the first lap, controls are horrible and
doesn't come close to how the car I took actually handles, graphics leave a
hell of alot to be desired as well.

Strange, I played the demo too and did not notice any horrible
controls. I found that the cars handled pretty reasonable, especially
when you turn off all the help such as stability control. The high
powered Audi they use for the 24h LeMans is pretty much uncontrolable
without any traction control and help. That thing has so much power
that if you keep constantly flooring it it will never stay on the road.
Pretty much what I could expect from such a car. In curves though it is
glued to the road, which is awesome.

On the other hand, the Nissan Z felt like a hunk of steel, considering
it wasn't meant to be raced around a track. I bet with some racing
upgrades it will do better.

I am not sure what your expectations are in terms of graphisc. I
thought it looked nice, the damage to my Ferrari looked pretty
realistic, considering all the things I hit! Remember, it is a game
still. If you are a professional race driver you may not feel quite at
home, but compared to other games, things one seems top-notch realistic
if you turn all the help features off.

Also, the final release will still be tweaked, so the demo may not
reflect the final game completely.

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> Can't wait to see what the American rags/sites have to say about it.
> Things
> are looking good though.

if you like driving "sims" as opposed to arcade racers, you will love this
game.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <1114604410.748119.35050@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

>For realism there is no equal on a console.

Very much looking forward to it, but I'm afraid that it has yet to
be proven if it is better than that "other" console sim in terms
of realism. And while it does seem very promising in that
regard, the very specific-free Popular Science advertisement, errr
article, doesn't really convince me one way or the other.

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> Boody Bandit wrote:
>> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> > Can't wait to see what the American rags/sites have to say about
> it.
>> Things
>> > are looking good though.
>>
>> The reviews should start surfacing over the next couple days.
>> I am taking a wait and see approach with this game.
>> Has the frame rate been confirmed (30 - 60)?
>
> For realism there is no equal on a console.
>
> http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0311-forzatestdrive.htm

Yeah, I read that PopSci article and they praised the hell outta Forza. They
said that the XBOX calculates the physics 4x more than what the PS2 ever
could. Of course I can't wait to see what the XBOX2 can do!

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
<snip>
> Yeah, I read that PopSci article and they praised the hell outta
> Forza. They said that the XBOX calculates the physics 4x more than
> what the PS2 ever could. Of course I can't wait to see what the
XBOX2
> can do!

Enthusia Racing for the PS2 (from Konami) is supposed to be more
realistic than either GT4 or Forza. (Though I dunno)

But Forza looks the most fun. If ironically, the one with the worst
graphics.

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> <snip>
> > Yeah, I read that PopSci article and they praised the hell outta
> > Forza. They said that the XBOX calculates the physics 4x more than
> > what the PS2 ever could. Of course I can't wait to see what the
> XBOX2
> > can do!
>
> Enthusia Racing for the PS2 (from Konami) is supposed to be more
> realistic than either GT4 or Forza. (Though I dunno)

Suppose to be from who?

> But Forza looks the most fun. If ironically, the one with the worst
> graphics.

Ah, Forza doesn't not have worse graphics than GT4. GT4 looks like a
first generation PS2 game.

Heck, PGR2 and TOCA look better than GT4.

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Jeremy Reaban wrote:
>
>>HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>Yeah, I read that PopSci article and they praised the hell outta
>>>Forza. They said that the XBOX calculates the physics 4x more than
>>>what the PS2 ever could. Of course I can't wait to see what the
>>
>>XBOX2
>>
>>>can do!
>>
>>Enthusia Racing for the PS2 (from Konami) is supposed to be more
>>realistic than either GT4 or Forza. (Though I dunno)
>

> Suppose to be from who?
>

>>But Forza looks the most fun. If ironically, the one with the worst
>>graphics.
>

> Ah, Forza doesn't not have worse graphics than GT4. GT4 looks like a
> first generation PS2 game.
>
> Heck, PGR2 and TOCA look better than GT4.

A first gen PS2 game?!? Geez...

massivegrooves wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote:
> > Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> >
> >>HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> >><snip>

> >>XBOX2

> >>Enthusia Racing for the PS2 (from Konami) is supposed to be more
> >>realistic than either GT4 or Forza. (Though I dunno)
> >

> > Suppose to be from who?
> >

> >>But Forza looks the most fun. If ironically, the one with the worst
> >>graphics.
> >

> > Ah, Forza doesn't not have worse graphics than GT4. GT4 looks like
> > first generation PS2 game.
> >
> > Heck, PGR2 and TOCA look better than GT4.
> >

> A first gen PS2 game?!? Geez...

I know. It was surprisingly weak in the graphical department. After
all the pre-release photos in the months leading up to it's release I
expected greater things with this game. The jaggies (even in 1080i)
reminded me of the first generation of PS2 games. The enviromental
detail was disappointing as well. For example, driving by trees you'd
see that they were simply just two flat textures placed perpendicular.

But don't let the lack of graphical prowess scare you from the game.
If you've enjoyed the other GT games you'd be perfectly at home here.

theOne wrote:
> >>A first gen PS2 game?!? Geez...
> >

> > I know. It was surprisingly weak in the graphical department.
After
> > all the pre-release photos in the months leading up to it's release
> > expected greater things with this game. The jaggies (even in
1080i)
> > reminded me of the first generation of PS2 games. The enviromental
> > detail was disappointing as well. For example, driving by trees
you'd
> > see that they were simply just two flat textures placed
perpendicular.

> > But don't let the lack of graphical prowess scare you from the
game.
> > If you've enjoyed the other GT games you'd be perfectly at home
here.

> sheesh...that's interesting. I thought the graphics were beautifully
> done in this one. But I only had a little bit of gameplay on it. You
> mentioned even in 1080i Robert. It would seem to me that running this

> game at anything higher than standard 480i would accentuate its flaws

> considering the PS2 doesn't have the horsepower to do anything
better.

> That being said, Forza is a wonderful game but you would be suprised
at
> the amount of jaggies in it as well. Not too mention, try the arcade
> "autumn" track. I think its called maple leaf
......something....Anyways,
> the environment looks really nasty, the trees look really flat, and
you
> wouldn't want to stop and take a look at sideline people cuz they
look
> really flat and bland as well. But there are some better ones such as

> Tokyo (which really looks like a short course pinned up right in a
> busier metropolitan area during the night such as Shibuya or
Shinjuku.
> I'm looking forward to the big 50+ lap races where pitting will be
> essential!
>
> So far not a huge variety in tracks, I find myself racing the same
ones
> over and over in different competitions or circuits but quite a few
cars
> to pick from.

Ah, Forza isn't released yet.

>> > I know. It was surprisingly weak in the graphical department.
> After
>> > all the pre-release photos in the months leading up to it's release
>> > expected greater things with this game. The jaggies (even in
> 1080i)
>> > reminded me of the first generation of PS2 games. The enviromental
>> > detail was disappointing as well. For example, driving by trees
> you'd
>> > see that they were simply just two flat textures placed
> perpendicular.
>> >
>> > But don't let the lack of graphical prowess scare you from the
> game.
>> > If you've enjoyed the other GT games you'd be perfectly at home
> here.
>> >
>> sheesh...that's interesting. I thought the graphics were beautifully
>> done in this one. But I only had a little bit of gameplay on it. You
>> mentioned even in 1080i Robert. It would seem to me that running this
>
>> game at anything higher than standard 480i would accentuate its flaws
>
>> considering the PS2 doesn't have the horsepower to do anything
> better.
>>
>> That being said, Forza is a wonderful game but you would be suprised
> at
>> the amount of jaggies in it as well. Not too mention, try the arcade
>> "autumn" track. I think its called maple leaf
> .....something....Anyways,
>> the environment looks really nasty, the trees look really flat, and
> you
>> wouldn't want to stop and take a look at sideline people cuz they
> look
>> really flat and bland as well. But there are some better ones such as
>
>> Tokyo (which really looks like a short course pinned up right in a
>> busier metropolitan area during the night such as Shibuya or
> Shinjuku.
>> I'm looking forward to the big 50+ lap races where pitting will be
>> essential!
>>
>> So far not a huge variety in tracks, I find myself racing the same
> ones
>> over and over in different competitions or circuits but quite a few
> cars
>> to pick from.
>
> Ah, Forza isn't released yet.

Try Best Buy, they are morons. They went in the back and handed me a game
even though I was only paying for the $10 pre-order case. Needless to say,
I walked up to the counter and bought it before they could say anything.
One of the students in my class rented it from me for $10 until Thursday and
then I will start playing.

massivegrooves wrote:

> I have played Gt4, I own it. The comment was more as in geez, you ARE

> kidding right? Or as in geez, give me a break. The game looks great
and
> far from a first gen PS2 game, not even close. If it doesn't look
good
> to you then there is one of two things wrong. One might be your
vision,
> the other might be your set-up for viewing or your settings, etc..

GT4 doesn't look that great to me, and I have none of the problems
you've mentioned. GT4 looks great at first glance, but if you look
closely, you'll see that the developers are cheating with excessive
darkness to make things look more realistic. Darkness is often used in
movie cenes with lots of computer effects to make things look more
real. It is much harder to use special effects in bright scenes.
Something just doesn't look right in GT4 if you look closely. For
example, some levels will have a glaring sun yet the shadowing on the
cars will be so dark that you can not see the back of a car. Also,
it's really hard to see in the distance for some reason. Many friends
of mine who've never played GT4 had difficulties in seeing whether the
next turn would be a right or left turn, even though they have no such
problems with Gotham 2 or Rallisport 2. I would rather have graphics
that look less realistic like Forza than have graphics with fake,
excessive shadowing and draw distance rendering that has a negative
impact on gameplay. I will admit that GT4 has the best looking replays
but gameplay graphics are more important to me than replay graphics.

brun132001@yahoo.com wrote:
> massivegrooves wrote:
>

>>I have played Gt4, I own it. The comment was more as in geez, you ARE
>

>>kidding right? Or as in geez, give me a break. The game looks great
>
> and
>
>>far from a first gen PS2 game, not even close. If it doesn't look
>
> good
>
>>to you then there is one of two things wrong. One might be your
>
> vision,
>
>>the other might be your set-up for viewing or your settings, etc..
>

> GT4 doesn't look that great to me, and I have none of the problems
> you've mentioned. GT4 looks great at first glance, but if you look
> closely, you'll see that the developers are cheating with excessive
> darkness to make things look more realistic. Darkness is often used in
> movie cenes with lots of computer effects to make things look more
> real. It is much harder to use special effects in bright scenes.
> Something just doesn't look right in GT4 if you look closely. For
> example, some levels will have a glaring sun yet the shadowing on the
> cars will be so dark that you can not see the back of a car. Also,
> it's really hard to see in the distance for some reason. Many friends
> of mine who've never played GT4 had difficulties in seeing whether the
> next turn would be a right or left turn, even though they have no such
> problems with Gotham 2 or Rallisport 2. I would rather have graphics
> that look less realistic like Forza than have graphics with fake,
> excessive shadowing and draw distance rendering that has a negative
> impact on gameplay. I will admit that GT4 has the best looking replays
> but gameplay graphics are more important to me than replay graphics.

To each there own, if you have a darkness problem with it then adjust
the brightness on your set maybe. It looks fine to me and on mine, and I
have no problems seeing stuff coming up or any of that. All one has to
do is look at the signs on the track that point you as to which way the
next turn may go.

theone

Robert P Holley wrote:

>>>I know. It was surprisingly weak in the graphical department.
>
> After
>
>>>all the pre-release photos in the months leading up to it's release

>>>expected greater things with this game. The jaggies (even in
>
> 1080i)
>
>>>reminded me of the first generation of PS2 games. The enviromental
>>>detail was disappointing as well. For example, driving by trees
>
> you'd
>
>>>see that they were simply just two flat textures placed
>
> perpendicular.
>
>>>But don't let the lack of graphical prowess scare you from the
>
> game.
>
>>>If you've enjoyed the other GT games you'd be perfectly at home
>
> here.
>
>>sheesh...that's interesting. I thought the graphics were beautifully
>>done in this one. But I only had a little bit of gameplay on it. You
>>mentioned even in 1080i Robert. It would seem to me that running this
>

>>game at anything higher than standard 480i would accentuate its flaws
>

>>considering the PS2 doesn't have the horsepower to do anything
>
> better.
>
>>That being said, Forza is a wonderful game but you would be suprised
>
> at
>
>>the amount of jaggies in it as well. Not too mention, try the arcade
>>"autumn" track. I think its called maple leaf
>
> .....something....Anyways,
>
>>the environment looks really nasty, the trees look really flat, and
>
> you
>
>>wouldn't want to stop and take a look at sideline people cuz they
>
> look
>
>>really flat and bland as well. But there are some better ones such as
>

>>Tokyo (which really looks like a short course pinned up right in a
>>busier metropolitan area during the night such as Shibuya or
>
> Shinjuku.
>
>>I'm looking forward to the big 50+ lap races where pitting will be
>>essential!
>>
>>So far not a huge variety in tracks, I find myself racing the same
>
> ones
>
>>over and over in different competitions or circuits but quite a few
>
> cars
>
>>to pick from.
>

> Ah, Forza isn't released yet.

ahh well, i have pals at ebgames. You'll see what I'm saying when it is,
I wanted to give you a heads up so you could tell me what you think when
you get it :)

theone

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

>>After

>>1080i)

>>you'd

>>perpendicular.

>>game.

>>here.
>>
>>>sheesh...that's interesting. I thought the graphics were beautifully
>>>done in this one. But I only had a little bit of gameplay on it. You
>>>mentioned even in 1080i Robert. It would seem to me that running this
>>
>>>game at anything higher than standard 480i would accentuate its flaws
>>
>>>considering the PS2 doesn't have the horsepower to do anything
>>
>>better.
>>
>>>That being said, Forza is a wonderful game but you would be suprised
>>
>>at
>>
>>>the amount of jaggies in it as well. Not too mention, try the arcade
>>>"autumn" track. I think its called maple leaf
>>
>>.....something....Anyways,
>>
>>>the environment looks really nasty, the trees look really flat, and
>>
>>you
>>
>>>wouldn't want to stop and take a look at sideline people cuz they
>>
>>look
>>
>>>really flat and bland as well. But there are some better ones such as
>>
>>>Tokyo (which really looks like a short course pinned up right in a
>>>busier metropolitan area during the night such as Shibuya or
>>
>>Shinjuku.
>>
>>>I'm looking forward to the big 50+ lap races where pitting will be
>>>essential!
>>>
>>>So far not a huge variety in tracks, I find myself racing the same
>>
>>ones
>>
>>>over and over in different competitions or circuits but quite a few
>>
>>cars
>>
>>>to pick from.
>>
>>Ah, Forza isn't released yet.
>>

> Try Best Buy, they are morons. They went in the back and handed me a game
> even though I was only paying for the $10 pre-order case. Needless to say,
> I walked up to the counter and bought it before they could say anything.
> One of the students in my class rented it from me for $10 until Thursday and
> then I will start playing.

shweet. Let us know what you think too.

theone

massivegrooves wrote:

> Robert P Holley wrote:
>
>> massivegrooves wrote:

>>> A first gen PS2 game?!? Geez...
>>

>> I know. It was surprisingly weak in the graphical department. After
>> all the pre-release photos in the months leading up to it's release I
>> expected greater things with this game. The jaggies (even in 1080i)
>> reminded me of the first generation of PS2 games. The enviromental
>> detail was disappointing as well. For example, driving by trees you'd
>> see that they were simply just two flat textures placed perpendicular.
>>
>> But don't let the lack of graphical prowess scare you from the game.
>> If you've enjoyed the other GT games you'd be perfectly at home here.
>>

> I have played Gt4, I own it. The comment was more as in geez, you ARE
> kidding right? Or as in geez, give me a break. The game looks great and
> far from a first gen PS2 game, not even close. If it doesn't look good
> to you then there is one of two things wrong. One might be your vision,
> the other might be your set-up for viewing or your settings, etc..

exactly, sometimes there are outlandish arguments and this is one of
'em. granted , I don't own a PS2 and haven't played GT4 for more than an
hour (on a wega) but when I did, I was like WOW, this is on the PS2. If
that game had one thing going for it, it was the graphics. Forza is a
great game too but it does has its flaws as I've mentioned. the damage
modeling makes up for alot of it though. Of course, I'm not one of the
tweakheads of this group that are going to write you a 6 page technical
thesis as to why I think so. But from what i have mentioned, I'd like to
get mattingly and whoever elses views....

theOne wrote:
> massivegrooves wrote:
>

>> Robert P Holley wrote:

>>> I know. It was surprisingly weak in the graphical department. After
>>> all the pre-release photos in the months leading up to it's release I
>>> expected greater things with this game. The jaggies (even in 1080i)
>>> reminded me of the first generation of PS2 games. The enviromental
>>> detail was disappointing as well. For example, driving by trees you'd
>>> see that they were simply just two flat textures placed perpendicular.
>>>
>>> But don't let the lack of graphical prowess scare you from the game.
>>> If you've enjoyed the other GT games you'd be perfectly at home here.
>>>

>> I have played Gt4, I own it. The comment was more as in geez, you ARE
>> kidding right? Or as in geez, give me a break. The game looks great
>> and far from a first gen PS2 game, not even close. If it doesn't look
>> good to you then there is one of two things wrong. One might be your
>> vision, the other might be your set-up for viewing or your settings,
>> etc..
>>

> exactly, sometimes there are outlandish arguments and this is one of
> 'em. granted , I don't own a PS2 and haven't played GT4 for more than an
> hour (on a wega) but when I did, I was like WOW, this is on the PS2. If
> that game had one thing going for it, it was the graphics. Forza is a
> great game too but it does has its flaws as I've mentioned. the damage
> modeling makes up for alot of it though. Of course, I'm not one of the
> tweakheads of this group that are going to write you a 6 page technical
> thesis as to why I think so. But from what i have mentioned, I'd like to
> get mattingly and whoever elses views....

Yep, once I get to plat Forza I will put in my two cents on it, till
then though...

massivegrooves wrote:

> To each there own, if you have a darkness problem with it then adjust

> the brightness on your set maybe.

I've already said that the problem is not with my tv. It doesn't take
a genius to adjust a tv's brightness. The lighting in GT4 is simply
not realistic. I guess this generation of consoles is simply not
powerful enough to make a photorealistic racing game. I would rather
the developers accept the fact rather than use excessive shadowing to
make things seem more realistic. It's just weird to see dark cars in
broad daylight.

>It looks fine to me and on mine, and I
> have no problems seeing stuff coming up or any of that. All one has
> do is look at the signs on the track that point you as to which way
the
> next turn may go.

There's no need to bother with signs or maps in the other games I
mentioned. Burnout 2/3 on the PS2 has no such problem either. GT4 is
hard enough as it is for novices. It's much harder if you have to take
your eyes off the road to look at the map/signs or memorize the track
layout.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this subject. I just don't
understand why you think someone has a eyesight problem or TV problem
if he thought that GT4 didn't look that great.

TRENDING THREADS