Direct internet via comcast hdmi cable connect

Lunar1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Is it possible to access the internet directly using the provider's hdmi cable routed through a generic device?

Lunar1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

I was ignorant of any bladder needs upon receipt of your 'answer.' (Please infer from this a polite reference to how hard you made me laugh.) I can unflinchingly assure you (and anyone else who gives a bat's backscratcher) that no loaf of bread is involved in any of the wiring or hardware. My weirdly interpreted question omitted some salient details. Such as:
I'm the gearhead everyone comes too in my zip code for patient, free IT troubleshooting, fixes and instruction. As such, and because the question was asked to assist someone upon whom I rely for non-IT (also non-free, by the way) services has acquired a new computer and resides over 100 miles away from me. He makes the commute. (If closer, I'd locate his connections and rig something together; although he's such a novice that he probably has no need of this at all and just doesn't recognize what goes where.)
When he asked me to assist I knew what I was in for: it took me eight hours to get him up to speed when he got a new cell phone. So, I told him to take a few pictures of his incoming wiring and routers currently used for tele -phone & -vision service. I sent him home with a couple of my own devices, both of which worked while his 'puter was here. He connected at home and was immediately contacted by his provider (Comcast) claiming he'd shut down the neighborhood (an insanely bold lie) and commenced to explain additional fees and services for which he should subscribe...
His hand-wringing call begs more than the question posed; let's just say that the internet is included in his 'bundled' services already...
I told him precisely this and to stay out of electronics stores. I also explained that cable providers can detect unusual activity which, in his case, was merely accessing the web. I then explained that the additional fees were to 'rent' him a router and increase internet speed - neither of which are required for his purposes.
This fella is a great guy and a very hard worker. He's talented and very bright; far younger than you might suspect. He simply lacks experience or understanding of all things tech; hence, he spends a lot of money for things ultimately of little use, as indicated by the phone and computer narrative.
So, your reply's timing couldn't have been better and I thank you from the depths of my heart for making me laugh so hard at myself, the situation, my empathy for the collective ignorance that inspired the question, and your marvelous description of 'generic' materials. Gratefully (or 'Regretfully' depending on how you view things), Lunar1