kathleen_11

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hello,
I have a Linksys WRT150N. I changed the settings on the Linksys from WPA TKIP to WPA2 AES. I was then shut out when I tried to go back to it (using 192.168.1.1) in my browser. I can't connect wirelessly thru it and I get a error saying the security settings on the Linksys are not the same as on the computer. When I change the settings on the laptop toWPA2 AES I still can't get into the router. Is there some way to access these settings besides online?

No - you need to go in to see what the settings are and match them in the laptop. The router should have come with a cable and you need to use that to link your laptop to the router. If there's another computer which can connect, you could use that.

kathleen_11

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Unfortunately I lost the cable that came with the Router but think I can borrow one. Also, when I brilliantly changed the security settings in the Router, the router seems to have blocked both my computers from accessing.

Thanks for the help

You use Internet Explorer or another browser to get into the router's settings but it doesn't get you online at that stage.

Connect your router to the computer with the cable you think you can borrow then go Start then Run in XP - Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7 - then type in the following, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the Default Gateway icon - something like 192.168.0.1.

Type exit to close the black form.

Open Internet Explorer and enter that code into the URL address bar as though it was a website. You're then at the login page to the router's settings utility and admin will usually be the login with either admin or password as the password.

If you're in, seek out Wireless and then Security and take a note of the key. Sometimes it may be a passphrase, some a simple set of letters and others a hexadecimal code. You also may as well note which level of security it is - WEP, WPA or WPA/PSK 2 and then either AES or TKIP. Your computer will already know this but it's handy information to store. Note also that hexadecimal only contains numbers from zero to 9 and letters a to f so there's no confusion of I and O with 1 and 0.

Keep a note of that security key in My Documents and also outside the computer.

If you need more help when this thread has been inexplicably closed down, feel free to PM me.

kathleen_11

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Saga Lout-

Thanks for the directions. I ended up resetting the router (per dcavallo's suggestion). I can now connect the laptop to the linksys and to the Internet. Now the issue is that none of my other devices (iPone4, Nook, and other laptops) are not allowed to join the Linsys connection. They all show the signal for the Linksys is strong. I obviously have a setting selected in the Linksys that blocks them. On the iPhone, it shows the strong signal for the Linksys but when I try to join, it ask for the passcode, which I type in and it says firewalled - not allowed to join I am running only the Avast firewall on my laptops. Is there a setting about firewalls on the router that I need to change?

When I try to connect with the other laptop, the signal is strong but when I try to connect, it does not ask for a password it just says"Windows is unable to conect to the selected network.

Also, you mentiond that in the Linksys settings -WIRELESS then the SECURITY tab, there would be a passphrase. This was blank so I put in a password. Was this not correct? I am able to get into Linksys and the internet with this laptop? I am using the WPA2 personal with AES security.

bhsapp

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
May I BORROW this thread to see if you can help me answer my problem.
I really need to find another way to go into my Router's Basic Setup page without typing the ip address in the address bar? IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? Will the installation CD work? I mean do I need to uninstall anything then re-install using the CD.
My problem was because my DSL provider suggested I upgrade my firmware, which while doing so, I went to the Basic Setup page of my Linksys Wireless Router model WRT160N. On the Basic setup page....I believe I MADE A DETRIMENTAL ERROR....I First saw a box called Host name...and it had my Host name entered already, then I saw a box marked DOMAIN NAME....here I entered what I thought was my Domain Name. It was something I googled to try and figure out, and my google search showed me a way to locate it by looking at a SENT email in my Yahoo mail, then clicking show all headers in the upper right part of the message. They said by looking at the details in the message I would find my domain name in the area labeled Received: SO that's where I entered a Domain name and clicked Save in my Basic Setup.
Now I did my firmware upgrade, and 60% of the way through, it lost connection. From that point on, I was unable to connect to my Router, I could not log into it at all again.

Help if you know any way I can do it? Or do you think it's a hardware problem since the router is 5 years old? Do you think the DOMAIN name info I entered is the cause of my problem and can it be fixed?

bhsapp

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
May I BORROW this thread to see if you can help me answer my problem.
I really need to find another way to go into my Router's Basic Setup page without typing the ip address in the address bar? IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? Will the installation CD work? I mean do I need to uninstall anything then re-install using the CD.
My problem was because my DSL provider suggested I upgrade my firmware, which while doing so, I went to the Basic Setup page of my Linksys Wireless Router model WRT160N. On the Basic setup page....I believe I MADE A DETRIMENTAL ERROR....I First saw a box called Host name...and it had my Host name entered already, then I saw a box marked DOMAIN NAME....here I entered what I thought was my Domain Name. It was something I googled to try and figure out, and my google search showed me a way to locate it by looking at a SENT email in my Yahoo mail, then clicking show all headers in the upper right part of the message. They said by looking at the details in the message I would find my domain name in the area labeled Received: SO that's where I entered a Domain name and clicked Save in my Basic Setup.
Now I did my firmware upgrade, and 60% of the way through, it lost connection. From that point on, I was unable to connect to my Router, I could not log into it at all again.

Help if you know any way I can do it? Or do you think it's a hardware problem since the router is 5 years old? Do you think the DOMAIN name info I entered is the cause of my problem and can it be fixed?

TRENDING THREADS