Windows 7 chews up disk space

billsincl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hello,
I was having problems with NO SPACE on the C DRIVE, but when I looked at the folders, their sum total was less than 15 percent of the partition.

finally when I investigated I found some HUGE files in Windows\temp. One was > 180 GB long, and there were others > 10 GB long.

They don't appear in the total folder sizes.

Why does this happen in the first place? Is there a way to prevent a recurrence?

I could make a batch file to delete the contents of that folder when I restart, but then wouldn't I need to also empty the recycle bin to recover the disk space? The standard disk drive recovery stuff does not touch those files.

Hello... did you try to manually delete everything in your TEMP directory? thats what I would do... and then monitor that directory during everyday use... to determine what program is putting all that DATA there... also try using MYCOMPUER... C:\ DRIVE right click Properties/DISK CLEANUP... and see what happens then.

billsincl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
After some further digging, I finally isolated the problem. I was using MYBOOK to back up files on both computers.
It was creating the huge files. I had to shut down the MYBOOK process in order to get rid of the temp files.

I still don't know the purpose of those files. But if you use the WD product, look in Windows/temp and see if they are present.

You can set the internet configuration to delete all temporary files whenever the browser is closed.

billsincl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I don't see the relevance here.

Temporary Internet files are not related to my problem at all.

Mine pertained to windows\temp only.