Sigma 18-125 vs Tamron 18-200

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 16, 2005 3:01:56 PM

Has anyone done a comparison between these two lenses ? I'm more than
happy with my Sigma which I bought from B&H a few weeks ago but now I've
just read about the Tamron 18-200 in our local photo mag. I can sell the
Sigma here in South Africa for the same price I paid for it but I don't
want to order the Tamron and find that I've got the extra "reach" but
there's a fall off in picture quality. The Sigma and the D70 make a
perfect couple for me at the moment but if the Tamron can offer a
similar or better picture quality AND an extra 75mm focal length I might
want to reconsider.

Bernard.

More about : sigma 125 tamron 200

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:24:16 PM

Sigma also have a new 18-200mm, apparently it is okay.

"Bernard Rother" <bprotherREMOVE1@intekom.co.za> wrote in message
news:D 8rf7d$3ii$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Has anyone done a comparison between these two lenses ? I'm more than
> happy with my Sigma which I bought from B&H a few weeks ago but now I've
> just read about the Tamron 18-200 in our local photo mag. I can sell the
> Sigma here in South Africa for the same price I paid for it but I don't
> want to order the Tamron and find that I've got the extra "reach" but
> there's a fall off in picture quality. The Sigma and the D70 make a
> perfect couple for me at the moment but if the Tamron can offer a similar
> or better picture quality AND an extra 75mm focal length I might want to
> reconsider.
>
> Bernard.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:20:05 PM

Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:
> Sigma also have a new 18-200mm, apparently it is okay.

There is a site in Japan comparing the Sigma 18-200 and Tamron 18-200.
Both looked good although the Sigma didn't seem to be really 200mm
at the long end; it showed lower magnification than the Tamron.

It's hard to say because Sigma samples vary in quality lens to lens,
probably more than the difference between different brands or designs.
!