Computer powered off, and won't turn back on.

jmacom01

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hello. I was playing GTA4 with my computer and suddenly the computer shuts down, and I went to turn it back on, and nothing happened. Since it didn't do anything at all when I tried to boot, I suspected it was my PSU, but alas I don't have a multimeter or a spare PSU laying around to check. When I unplug the power from the PSU and plug it back in, the LED's on my fans will light up for a split second, and then shut off again.

Does this sound like a faulty PSU? I have the Corsair AX850, and I know that's overkill for my system so I know it wasn't that I over worked it.

Also I have the ASRock extreme4 gen3 with the LED display on the mobo, and when I attempt to start it for the first time after it shut itself down, it didn't flash anything. But then again it might not be getting power, and it was only my LED fans that flashed for about a split second, then turned itself off again.

Any ideas?

Edit: And this was the first time something like this has ever happened. It's been functioning normally for about 4 months now. Also the same thing happened with the LED's when I pressed the CMOS button on the back, and the small lights above my Ethernet port lights up too.

Solution

Yeah, like I said, this one is a tough one. Really, if either the board OR the PSU was bad, it shouldn't still be sending power to parts of the board on standby, but I'll just stick with my original thought that it's the 12V rail that's screwed. That's really the only thing that makes any sense besides maybe the CPU being dead (which I can't see happening) or the 12V part of the board (VRM's) being fried.

Could just mean that you're still getting standby power (different rail because that's 5V), but the 12V part of the PSU (the part that it needs to power up) is screwed.

Do you have another PSU to try?

Hmm. Well, my gut tells me that it's the PSU, BUT it could just as easily be the mobo. The mobo IS still sending power to the USB ports at least though, so that's what makes this one hard to diagnose. I'll go with the PSU as the culprit first though.

Yeah, like I said, this one is a tough one. Really, if either the board OR the PSU was bad, it shouldn't still be sending power to parts of the board on standby, but I'll just stick with my original thought that it's the 12V rail that's screwed. That's really the only thing that makes any sense besides maybe the CPU being dead (which I can't see happening) or the 12V part of the board (VRM's) being fried.

Solution

jmacom01

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Alright, thanks for the advice, I suppose at this point I just need to start replacing things and experimenting to try and narrow down what really happened, thanks for the help sir.