Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cootetom

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Hi all,

With the arrival of Vista around the corner and Direct X 10 I'm looking to upgrade my pc's hardware but I'd like some advice.

I currently have a pentium 4 cpu, can I upgrade to a Core 2 Duo without needing a new main board?

Also my p4 is 3Ghz, do I get better performace from a lesser clock speed cpu if it's Core 2 Duo?

Finally what sort of heat sink options do you think is best with this new porcessor?

I'm not exactly limiting myself to a budget but at the same time I don't want to spend over the top amounts of money with this! I'm also looking to upgrade my graphic's card to support Direct X 10 but I only have a pci express slot for graphics, any recommendations?

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Sorry, but the addition of an extra core should only add up to about 60% in performance. However, since the Core microarchitecture is much more efficient than P4 the performance delta can be much larger.

EDIT: Aaaaaand I just saw what he said about bunging a Core 2 Duo into any mobo over 50 quid. I'm just gonna be frank and say that's BS. A Core 2 Duo mobo will most commonly be based on the 965 chipset - all 965 mobos will be Core 2 Duo compatible, though some may need a BIOS update. Some 975 and 945 motherboards will also work - check out what the manufacturer's websites say and read the boxes. And just in case you didn't know, they need to be LGA775.

cootetom

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Ummm my motheboard is a 925X chipset? It says in the system hardware settings that it's a ACPI Multiprocessor PC tho!

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I hate to break it to you but it seem that your motherboard is incompatible with Core 2 Duo. This lies in the fact that they require lower voltage, so different VRMs are needed - you won't find any motherboards released before July 2006(except later revision of the Intel Bad Axe) that are compatible. If you plan on buying a compatible motherboard, you can try the aforementioned Bad Axe, or maybe an ASUS P5B. Try checking some review sites for a motherboard that will suit you, or you can ask for recommendations from forums - for example the General Homebuilt section of this one. No one will really mind if you start a thread here to ask though.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Best thing to do is go to your mobo manufacturer's webbie, look at the board, and see if it supports the C2D. If it's been discontinued, most likely it doesn't support it. However, I'm fairly certain the 925x chipset does not support C2D, so your SOL there...

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If your motherboard supports Core 2, then you can upgrade to Core 2.

What motherboard do you have?

I'm with you this time.

If your mobo chipset is (from Intel) lower than the 965 series, so 945 and below number, it doesn't support Core2Duo mostly. Best bet is to go on your mobo maker and check compatibility list for it. Google should do the trick.

About Core2Duo compare to P4... Even lowly E6300 model at 1,83 GHZ will crush it to death in just about any applications. And I'm not even considering multithreading. In this case it would be even worst for the P4. Go check Toms cpu chart and you'll see for yourself. Go there for it: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

I presently own a P4C 3,0 and I will upgrade as soon as Vista (and Dx10) is with us. I just hope Vista will as superior as I think it will be compare to XP for multitasking. If not, "CURSE YOU MS!!!!"... :wink:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
YOU again. surprised you didnt slam him for posting somthing about a penitum 4 when there are already pentium 4 threads on this forum

Oh god, yeah, prozac's constant good posts and provision of help to others really gets on my nerves as well.

Jesus christ prozac, keep it to yourself next time - if someone asks for help and you can help them just don't bother replying.

(Anyone else PM'd mods about Your_Name & Bakedbean yet?)

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Ummm my motheboard is a 925X chipset? It says in the system hardware settings that it's a ACPI Multiprocessor PC tho!

Don't want to crush your heart, but you're out of luck on this one most probably. Still, check mobo maker to be 100% sure.

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
If your mobo chipset is (from Intel) lower than the 965 series, so 945 and below number, it doesn't support Core2Duo mostly.

I agree with what you've stated but why is the 975 chipset older than the 965, and it's the latter that is recommended for C2Ds?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Best thing to do is go to your mobo manufacturer's webbie, look at the board, and see if it supports the C2D. If it's been discontinued, most likely it doesn't support it. However, I'm fairly certain the 925x chipset does not support C2D, so your SOL there...
Good advice. And, yes, I'm fairly certain 925X chipset does not support C2D as well (could be wrong tho).

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
YOU again. surprised you didnt slam him for posting somthing about a penitum 4 when there are already pentium 4 threads on this forum

Oh god, yeah, prozac's constant good posts and provision of help to others really gets on my nerves as well.

Jesus christ prozac, keep it to yourself next time - if someone asks for help and you can help them just don't bother replying.

And don't forget Jamie_the_pwner also.

At first I tought Your_name was right because prozac was rude with him. His answer was too rough, but I didn't see a problem in it. But now I really think it's getting out of control...

Somebody should stop this. It's OK to reply to something wrong done to us, but within certain limit and not bringing it to other tread. PERIOD!!!

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You bet I did :D. Poor prozac is being followed around on tons of threads by these guys. I suggest everybody reports Your_Name and Jamie_the_pwner.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If your mobo chipset is (from Intel) lower than the 965 series, so 945 and below number, it doesn't support Core2Duo mostly.

I agree with what you've stated but why is the 975 chipset older than the 965, and it's the latter that is recommended for C2Ds?

Intel "enthousiast" chipset usually have a suffix 10 higher than the mainstream model. But in this case, Intel i975X support only dual-DDR2-667 as oppose to P965 dual-DDR2-800. So P965 generally have superior performances.

The reason is mostly that even tough Dual-DDR2-667 is more than enough to saturate the fsb, there is time when only one channel is sending informations. In this case DDR2-800 cans send faster than DDR2-667. Enough more to do a 1-5% difference in certain benchmark.

In a better world, Intel would have on-die memory controler, and we would have fast enough memory to get the bandwidth necessary on single channel. But it's not....

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
If your motherboard supports Core 2, then you can upgrade to Core 2.

I'm with you this time.

There are a lot of 945p mobos that support C2D.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks for the clarification. So 965 is definitely the way to go with both C2D and C2Q, right?

Yes it is! Better overall performances for a much better price. :twisted:

There are a lot of 945p mobos that support C2D.

There are some, but not a lot. The reason is that i945p were mostly done in the pre-C2D time. Electrical requirement were then much less restrictive. This mean that more than a new BIOS is require for compatibility. Usually a board revision will do the trick. So checking with your mobo maker will confirm if yes or no it is compatible. Usually, if purchased more than 6 months ago, it's not compatible. From there came my saying that mostly it's not compatible. OK, I exagerated on that one, but I wasn't too far I'd say. :oops: :wink:

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
If your motherboard, then you can upgrade to Core 2.

Hahaha....you guys. I saw your last thread, harsh man, harsh. But I think you should let it drop lol

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Hi All,

Let me clarify what is what with Intel Motherboards that support Conroe processors

1 approved 945 - Coryville D945GCL

8 approved 965 - ATX or uATX

Westchester DG965WH - Viiv
Stoughton DG965OT - Viiv
Guardfish DQ965GF - vPro
Roger City DG965RC - Classic
Shrewsbury DG965SS - Classic
Lemont DP965LT - Classic
Flaxton DQ963FX - Business Entry
Garreston DQ963 - Business Entry

4 Approved 965 - uBTX or pBTX

Coupeville DQ965CO - vPro
Mequon DG965MQ - Viiv
Westcot DQ965WC - vPro
Pelzer DG965PZ - Viiv

2 Approved 946 - uATX or uBTX

Isleton D946IS - Essential
Toston D946TS - Essential

2 Approved 975 - ATX

Bad Axe D975PBX - Enthusiast (Will run Kentsfield but not officially supported
Bad Axe 2 D975PBX2 - Enthusiast (Supports Kentsfield and DDR2 800)

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Thanks for the info. Of course there are many other non-Intel mobos that do as well.

"Watch lights fade from every room..." :D

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

11 years later... Vista turned out to be total shit and was a disappointment to everyone.

Yes, I like replying to old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.