Sign in with
Your question

Which desktop computer is better for my needs?

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2012 1:05:49 AM

I'm trying to decide whether to get an HP S5XT or a Gateway SX2370-UR10P. I have pretty basic needs: surfing the web (multiple tabs open; for research, Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, some Flash game sites), listening to music via iTunes, creating Word documents and Powerpoints, and some small games (RollerCoaster Tycoon; Rome: Total War; GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas). I would like to be able to do the majority of these things simultaneously without lag or other problems, if possible. Here are the system specs:

HP:
-Intel Core i3-2120 dual-core processor [3.3GHz, 3MB cache]
-6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
-1GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT520 OR 1GB ATI Radeon 7450 (whichever is better)
-500 GB Hard drive (7200 rpm)

Gateway:
-2.5GHz AMD A8-3820 quad core
-6GB memory
-1TB storage (5400 rpm)
-AMD Radeon™ HD 6550D

Also, I have memory from my old computer that is compatible with the Gateway, so that memory total is potentially 10gb rather than the 6 I listed above.

Both systems are $529. Also, which is more upgradable? I know both are slim desktops, but does either have room to expand?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!!!

More about : desktop computer

April 7, 2012 1:22:38 AM

as far as Im aware you cant get 2 x3 gig of RAM so the HP probably has 3 x2 gig of RAM and that will kill performance in 99% of situations because it wont be able to run in dual channel .

Likewise the gateway .

Check which one has 2 x2 and 2 x1 gig of RAM fitted and buy that one IMO .

Generally the i3 is faster , but the AMD may be a better multitasker thanks to 4 cores
m
l
April 7, 2012 3:21:58 AM

I think they have 1 4gb stick and 1 2gb because, as far as I know, the HP only has two available slots for RAM. And the Gateway website is cluttered and lacks info on their computers, another reason why I'm afraid to go the Gateway route. I'll try to find out what I can. Thank you for your help!
m
l
!