Xbox 2 Backwards Compatibility Confirmation?

I saw this at gamefaqs and thought I'd post it here as well.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=389317

Apparently there is some survey going around to a few select XBL users,
asking them question regarding the Xbox 2 and it appears that the
survey sorta confirms backwards compatibility for the console.

It also mentions that XBL users can play against each other across both
system (Xbox 1 & Xbox 2). Obviously it would have to be an Xbox 1 game
but that's still very interesting.

if they make the next box backwards compatible, someone like me will
definitely be more interested in buying it. i love gaming, but i'm
pretty casual about it (i don't subscribe to Live!, i only own one
console, and i have about 40 games). if MS decided not to make it
backwards compatible, what impetus would there be for someone like me
to even think about it? besides playing new games, not much. thanks for
the post, Robert!

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote:
> > I saw this at gamefaqs and thought I'd post it here as well.
> >
> > http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=389317
> >
> > Apparently there is some survey going around to a few select XBL
> > users, asking them question regarding the Xbox 2 and it appears
that
> > the survey sorta confirms backwards compatibility for the console.
> >
> > It also mentions that XBL users can play against each other across
> > both system (Xbox 1 & Xbox 2). Obviously it would have to be an
> Xbox
> > 1 game but that's still very interesting.
>
> Does it actually say that though? I read the survey question as
saying
> that XBL users could play XBL2 users on a game that is the same. Like
> say, Madden or something. There have been games where PS2 players
> could play PC players (I think NFS:U), so this would be the same
basic
> thing.

The quote I saw on the digital image of the survey was:

"If you are already an Xbox Live subscriber through the Original Xbox
System, you can continue to play against gamers who are on Live through
Xbox 2 -- as long as they are playing a current generation Xbox game.
........ Xbox Live...works across both the current Xbox system and the
future Xbox 2...compete against others across both consoles"

The key words being "current generation Xbox game" so I assume for
someone with an Xbox360 to play a current generation Xbox game it would
have to be backwards compatible.

On 27 Apr 2005 12:54:45 -0700, "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com>
wrote in message
<1114631685.794993.273120@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>:

>The quote I saw on the digital image of the survey was:
>
>"If you are already an Xbox Live subscriber through the Original Xbox
>System, you can continue to play against gamers who are on Live through
>Xbox 2 -- as long as they are playing a current generation Xbox game.
>....... Xbox Live...works across both the current Xbox system and the
>future Xbox 2...compete against others across both consoles"
>
>The key words being "current generation Xbox game" so I assume for
>someone with an Xbox360 to play a current generation Xbox game it would
>have to be backwards compatible.

"Current generation" could be referring to what's available once Xbox 2
arrives. It may simply mean that Live-enabled Xbox 1 games published
after the arrival of Xbox 2 will have a separate Xbox 2 version. Xbox 2
gamers buy an Xbox 2 specific game, but can play against those who
bought the Xbox 1 version.

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Does it actually say that though? I read the survey question as saying
> that XBL users could play XBL2 users on a game that is the same. Like
> say, Madden or something. There have been games where PS2 players
> could play PC players (I think NFS:U), so this would be the same basic
> thing.

well...I'm inferring that for xbox users to be able to play with xbox2
users, they would have to be playing the same game...so, unless xbox2 games
are going to run on the xbox (ha!), xbox2 will be backwards
compatable...unless I'm totally missing something here...

"Khee Mao" <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Does it actually say that though? I read the survey question as saying
> > that XBL users could play XBL2 users on a game that is the same. Like
> > say, Madden or something. There have been games where PS2 players
> > could play PC players (I think NFS:U), so this would be the same basic
> > thing.
> >

> well...I'm inferring that for xbox users to be able to play with xbox2
> users, they would have to be playing the same game...so, unless xbox2
games
> are going to run on the xbox (ha!), xbox2 will be backwards
> compatable...unless I'm totally missing something here...

well, they released tony hawk 3 on the PS1 and PS2 (and everywhere else for
that matter), so a game like that could be playable for both Xbox1 and 2
users against each other without any need for backwards compatibility.

Wurm

"Wurm" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:d4ot8u$3e3$1@dns3.cae.ca...

> well, they released tony hawk 3 on the PS1 and PS2 (and everywhere else
> for
> that matter), so a game like that could be playable for both Xbox1 and 2
> users against each other without any need for backwards compatibility.
>
> Wurm

trudat

Robert P Holley wrote:

> I saw this at gamefaqs and thought I'd post it here as well.
>
> http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=389317
>
> Apparently there is some survey going around to a few select XBL
> users, asking them question regarding the Xbox 2 and it appears that
> the survey sorta confirms backwards compatibility for the console.

I think this is likely more a confusingly worded survey written by some
underling than confirmation of backwards compatibility. It would be nice
though.

-Z-

> Jeremy Reaban wrote:
>> Robert P Holley wrote:
>> > I saw this at gamefaqs and thought I'd post it here as well.
>> >
>> > http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=389317
>> >
>> > Apparently there is some survey going around to a few select XBL
>> > users, asking them question regarding the Xbox 2 and it appears
> that
>> > the survey sorta confirms backwards compatibility for the console.
>> >
>> > It also mentions that XBL users can play against each other across
>> > both system (Xbox 1 & Xbox 2). Obviously it would have to be an
>> Xbox
>> > 1 game but that's still very interesting.
>>
>> Does it actually say that though? I read the survey question as
> saying
>> that XBL users could play XBL2 users on a game that is the same. Like
>> say, Madden or something. There have been games where PS2 players
>> could play PC players (I think NFS:U), so this would be the same
> basic
>> thing.
>
> The quote I saw on the digital image of the survey was:
>
> "If you are already an Xbox Live subscriber through the Original Xbox
> System, you can continue to play against gamers who are on Live through
> Xbox 2 -- as long as they are playing a current generation Xbox game.
> ....... Xbox Live...works across both the current Xbox system and the
> future Xbox 2...compete against others across both consoles"
>
> The key words being "current generation Xbox game" so I assume for
> someone with an Xbox360 to play a current generation Xbox game it would
> have to be backwards compatible.

I think it means what Khee Mao wrote. Madden would be a perfect example.
Xbox 1 owners can play against Xbox 2 owners because the game itself would
be compatible.

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
> if they make the next box backwards compatible, someone like me will
> definitely be more interested in buying it. i love gaming, but i'm
> pretty casual about it (i don't subscribe to Live!, i only own one
> console, and i have about 40 games). if MS decided not to make it
> backwards compatible, what impetus would there be for someone like me
> to even think about it? besides playing new games, not much. thanks for
> the post, Robert!

Well, they don't like gamers like you. They sell their consoles basically at
cost (well at $150 at least) and make money off the games. So for those that
will use it for 90% carryover games, they won't make much money off you. As
soon as you drop $50 for a half dozen games, however, they're making good
money.

> "Current generation" could be referring to what's available once Xbox 2
> arrives. It may simply mean that Live-enabled Xbox 1 games published
> after the arrival of Xbox 2 will have a separate Xbox 2 version. Xbox 2
> gamers buy an Xbox 2 specific game, but can play against those who
> bought the Xbox 1 version.

Highly unlikely. Why develop the same game for two iterations of the same
platform. I doubt that Halo 2 will be be made for both XBOX and XBOX 2
despite its popularity.

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>>"Current generation" could be referring to what's available once Xbox 2
>>arrives. It may simply mean that Live-enabled Xbox 1 games published
>>after the arrival of Xbox 2 will have a separate Xbox 2 version. Xbox 2
>>gamers buy an Xbox 2 specific game, but can play against those who
>>bought the Xbox 1 version.
>

> Highly unlikely. Why develop the same game for two iterations of the same
> platform. I doubt that Halo 2 will be be made for both XBOX and XBOX 2
> despite its popularity.

It is possible with some of the VERY popular titles. Saw that with the
PS1 and PS2 with bigger sellers like Madden or Tony Hawk for example.

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>> if they make the next box backwards compatible, someone like me will
>> definitely be more interested in buying it. i love gaming, but i'm
>> pretty casual about it (i don't subscribe to Live!, i only own one
>> console, and i have about 40 games). if MS decided not to make it
>> backwards compatible, what impetus would there be for someone like me
>> to even think about it? besides playing new games, not much. thanks for
>> the post, Robert!
>>

> Well, they don't like gamers like you. They sell their consoles basically
> at cost (well at $150 at least) and make money off the games. So for those
> that will use it for 90% carryover games, they won't make much money off
> you. As soon as you drop $50 for a half dozen games, however, they're
> making good money.

nope.

if it were backwards compatable, more people would be willing to shell out
for the inflated launch price...MS wants to sell as many consoles for "fool
price" as it can, because it will drive software sales and reduce their
future losses on hardware...

Your subscription to Xbox Live will cover you under the Xbox 360,
correct? You won't have to purchase a new subscription for Xbox 2
games, will you? That wouldn't make good business sense.

theone

Khee Mao wrote:
> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>if they make the next box backwards compatible, someone like me will
>>>definitely be more interested in buying it. i love gaming, but i'm
>>>pretty casual about it (i don't subscribe to Live!, i only own one
>>>console, and i have about 40 games). if MS decided not to make it
>>>backwards compatible, what impetus would there be for someone like me
>>>to even think about it? besides playing new games, not much. thanks for
>>>the post, Robert!
>>>

>>Well, they don't like gamers like you. They sell their consoles basically
>>at cost (well at $150 at least) and make money off the games. So for those
>>that will use it for 90% carryover games, they won't make much money off
>>you. As soon as you drop $50 for a half dozen games, however, they're
>>making good money.
>>

> nope.
>
> if it were backwards compatable, more people would be willing to shell out
> for the inflated launch price...MS wants to sell as many consoles for "fool
> price" as it can, because it will drive software sales and reduce their
> future losses on hardware...

fool price? Lead fry chef must not be paying too bad cuz $400 bones is
nothing these days "home skillet". For what they're packing in it, its a
sweet deal. Dual Core x3, 512 RAM and a kick ass GPU?! I know everything
is hear say at this point but I've heard from insiders :) they'll be
bundling a Halo 2 Final, preloaded on the hard drive too.

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Khee Mao wrote:

> fool price? Lead fry chef must not be paying too bad cuz $400 bones is
> nothing these days "home skillet". For what they're packing in it, its a
> sweet deal. Dual Core x3, 512 RAM and a kick ass GPU?! I know everything
> is hear say at this point but I've heard from insiders :) they'll be
> bundling a Halo 2 Final, preloaded on the hard drive too.

I hear you. I'll probably get one at launch regardless, but backwards
compatability and/or a good selection of launch titles (with more dropping
in the following months) would seal the deal. The OG xbox had a few good
launch titles, then about a year long drought. By the time good games
started coming out, the console price dropped a third and some hardware
issues were worked out. Granted, this is a different ballgame, but we've
wasted too much time here...back to the fryers, home skillet, I'll put in a
good word with your supervisor;)

theone

Khee Mao wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Khee Mao wrote:
>

>>fool price? Lead fry chef must not be paying too bad cuz $400 bones is
>>nothing these days "home skillet". For what they're packing in it, its a
>>sweet deal. Dual Core x3, 512 RAM and a kick ass GPU?! I know everything
>>is hear say at this point but I've heard from insiders :) they'll be
>>bundling a Halo 2 Final, preloaded on the hard drive too.
>

> I hear you. I'll probably get one at launch regardless, but backwards
> compatability and/or a good selection of launch titles (with more dropping
> in the following months) would seal the deal. The OG xbox had a few good
> launch titles, then about a year long drought. By the time good games
> started coming out, the console price dropped a third and some hardware
> issues were worked out. Granted, this is a different ballgame, but we've
> wasted too much time here...back to the fryers, home skillet, I'll put in a
> good word with your supervisor;)

I fired 'em. They promoted me to store manager with a 30k bonus.

theone

aether wrote:
> Your subscription to Xbox Live will cover you under the Xbox 360,
> correct? You won't have to purchase a new subscription for Xbox 2
> games, will you? That wouldn't make good business sense.

I don't know. Do those new Circulon Stir Fry Wok Non-Stick Pan surfaces
really work; I've been meaning to ask.

>I saw this at gamefaqs and thought I'd post it here as well.
>
> http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=389317
>
> Apparently there is some survey going around to a few select XBL users,
> asking them question regarding the Xbox 2 and it appears that the
> survey sorta confirms backwards compatibility for the console.
>
> It also mentions that XBL users can play against each other across both
> system (Xbox 1 & Xbox 2). Obviously it would have to be an Xbox 1 game
> but that's still very interesting.

Just because Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 players can connect via Live does not
necesarily mean that Xbox 1 games will play on Xbox 360. It could merely
mean that there will be Xbox 360 *versions* of many popular Xbox 1 games
released, that can connect through live.

The fact that this question is still not *clearly* answered at this late
stage of development seems a bit odd.

Bob