Solved

I5 2400 idle temps

Hey so I installed a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus on my i5 2400 today. It's not overclocked and my case's air flow is pretty good. The cpu's idle temp hovers around 36-41 C. Is this good or do i need to start fiddling with the heatsink?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 2400 idle temps
  1. Those temps are fine. My i5 2500k idles at about 38c. Its probably more important what the temp is under full load. Mine is about 60c under full load.
  2. Good Temps....got the same cpu...idles around 32-33 C. everything stock. the stock thermal paste on the intel heatsinks is pretty darn good stuff :)
  3. fentini said:
    Hey so I installed a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus on my i5 2400 today. It's not overclocked and my case's air flow is pretty good. The cpu's idle temp hovers around 36-41 C. Is this good or do i need to start fiddling with the heatsink?

Whats your room temp?
  4. As nikorr asks that depends on room temp.. i5-2400+hyper 212 setup must give better temps than yours if the room temp is low.. I didn't mean that your temps are bad, but that setup must give better idle temps at normal room temp.. I have the same setup and it never hit 40C at idle.. (room temp 32C - Sri Lanka)
  5. The room temp's like 28 C. Was my first time messing around with aftermarket heatsinks, so I'm just wondering if i did the thermal paste wrong.
  6. The only wrong with the thermal paste is too much of it : )

It really needs as little as possible.
  7. Well I drew a line of TP down the processor, and then put two tiny dabs on either side. Then used a plastic bag around my finger to spread it out. Is there a better way to do it?
  8. fentini said:
    Well I drew a line of TP down the processor, and then put two tiny dabs on either side. Then used a plastic bag around my finger to spread it out. Is there a better way to do it?

Yes... please turn off PC and remove the heatsink and clean up the processor. You just need to 1 or 2 drops of thermal paste right in the middle of the CPU, YOU DONT SPREAD IT with fingers, when the heatsink contacts this drop of paste it spreads evenly in a circular manner.
  9. There are several different ways. Follow the instructions from the manufacturer. Before that, I would check your temps under load and see what they are. Your idle temps aren't bad.
  10. Best answer
  11. I see. Thanks all. I'll redo the TP and maybe i'll get a better temp.
  12. Best answer selected by fentini.
  13. fentini said:
    I see. Thanks all. I'll redo the TP and maybe i'll get a better temp.

BTW, did u use that much as well? Or more?
  14. nikorr said:
    BTW, did u use that much as well? Or more?

As much as in the pic? Probably a bit more. :/
  15. Good luck : )
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooler Master Cases Intel i5