Is silverstone 500w is sufficient for a gtx 580?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ni8mare

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
My system specs:-
Intel i5 650 @ 3.2 ghz
6 gb ram
silverstone strider 500w
500 gb HDD
Will i be able to run gtx 580 on the silverstone strider 500w?
if not, recommend me some cheap psu's to run it.

D

Deleted member 217926

Cheap and power supply do not belong in the same sentence. The Strider is a great power supply but 500 watts is underpowered for a GTX 580. Nvidia recommends a 600w unit for the 580.

Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone, XFX, Enermax and Antec all make good quality units.

The manufacturers ALWAYS overestimate the required PSU. it doesn't look like you'll be overclocking, and a GTX 580 is only going to pull around 275 Watts under load.

www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/geforce-gtx-580_5.html#sect0

Other reviews show around 380W with the full system. The silverstone is a good supply, but unfortunately its only rated 410W on the 12 volt rail. However you should be below that, and it can deliver over the specs a bit. hardware secrets got 480W out of it before it safely shutdown. If you're not overclocking and only have one or two harddrives I wouldn't be concerned about trying to use it. it will either work or it wont.

Cooler.master makes some OK supplies and some horrible ones. The extreme power plus series belongs in the horrible section. Your current PSU can deliver more power than that coolermaster.

the coolermaster will not even get close to what its rated. see this review for the 600W model
www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9

Status
Not open for further replies.